V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
03FXDWG
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

My friend and I both have dyna wide glides, 2003 and a 2006.

We are going to do the fluuid changes this weekend.

Oil, Transmission and Primary.

How much of each fluid do I need to buy per bike for the fluid changes?

Thanks

Greg

PS He is the mechanical one, since he is the mechanic I wanted to be a nice guy and buy the fluids for both of us.

·
Free agent
795 Posts
1 quart in primary
22-24 oz. in tranny
3 quarts in engine

You can use,,,
Syn 3 by HD in all holes
Amsoil 20-50w for all three or buy 75-90 severe gear for tranny
Mobil 1 v-twin for engine...Redline for tranny...and amsoil for primary

What ever fluids float your boat..but the quantities are listed above. Do yourself a favor...get a service manual. The reason being...I'm giving you a Road King capacity for primary and tranny. I know the Dyna holds 3.5 qts. in engine but it would be smart to become a little mechanically sufficient. Get a manual.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
I believe your owner's manual has the capacities...and I agree with "Amsoil 20-50w for all three or buy 75-90 severe gear for tranny"!!!!!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think you'll find that the transmission and primary capacities have changed on the 06-07 Dynas vs 05 and earlier.
Dyna's do NOT take 3.5 quarts of engine oil.
As far as buying the fluids, buy 3 qts engine oil per bike, 1 qt each for transmission and primary per bike. Don't necessarily use all of it though.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I know a lot of guys use the same oil in all 3 holes. Personally, my 03 FXDL runs a lot smoother with real gear oil in the tranny. I use Belray synthetic and no more missed neutrals. Good luck

Tim

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
i agree

chrt396 said:
1 quart in primary
22-24 oz. in tranny
3 quarts in engine

You can use,,,
Syn 3 by HD in all holes
Amsoil 20-50w for all three or buy 75-90 severe gear for tranny
Mobil 1 v-twin for engine...Redline for tranny...and amsoil for primary

What ever fluids float your boat..but the quantities are listed above. Do yourself a favor...get a service manual. The reason being...I'm giving you a Road King capacity for primary and tranny. I know the Dyna holds 3.5 qts. in engine but it would be smart to become a little mechanically sufficient. Get a manual.
the sg 75-90 is the best i've found.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have found that the SG 70-90 is a little thick for most of the year. I only use this for the 2-3 months of HOT temps.

I am also debating going back to dino fluids in the primary. the syn seams to "clunk" more

for what it's worth...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2010 road glide i use trick shift in the primary use 60w in the engine and 70/90 in the transmission i use these oils when i am at my home in bullhead city az gets pretty hot there you can get trick shift at napa 11.19

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I know a lot of guys use the same oil in all 3 holes. Personally, my 03 FXDL runs a lot smoother with real gear oil in the tranny. I use Belray synthetic and no more missed neutrals. Good luck

Tim
Which Belray syn did you use I need to get this > I hate missed Neutrals

>>>2016 Harley-Davidson Touring Ultra Limited Low<<<

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
Check one or more of the other oil threads for all the reading material, and verification or conjecture you will ever need.... on oil types, brands and other recommendations.
As to capacities,
I've found every harley uses a non standard amount...refer to the service manual for the guidelines.. and do not fill to the recommended amounts... start a little low and add until full...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here in the Los Angeles area I run:
Amsoil 20W-50 Engine
Amsoil 20W-50 Primary
Redline Shockproof Tranny

I change on the following schedule religiously:
Engine Oil every 2500 miles.
Primary every 2500 miles (with Engine)
Tranny every 1000 miles.

I love my 2015 Dyna enough to be OCD and dumb about not taking oil nearly as long as it can go. 17 bucks for the Redline is cheap compared to Transmission issues and it ALWAYS shifts like silk. Never a clunk in the least.
I also adjust my clutch or at least check its adjustment every time I open the Primary Case. I figure I am in there and it takes all of 10 minutes to do it. The WD-40 is cheap for the boot so meh.

I have a happy bike and that makes me happy. :)

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I change on the following schedule religiously:
Engine Oil every 2500 miles.
Primary every 2500 miles (with Engine)
Tranny every 1000 miles.
In 100,000 miles you will have spent $1,700 on transmission lube alone, using 19 times as much lube as you need.

The only benefit to changing lubricants that often is to the guy who sells it to you.

You are wasting money and oil.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
I recently went to ATF in the primary on the RoadKing. Short term, there was enough difference to jog my "muscle memory" a bit. I believe it frees up the clutch a bit quicker. -2$en#e-

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Which Belray syn did you use I need to get this > I hate missed Neutrals

>>>2016 Harley-Davidson Touring Ultra Limited Low<<<
Thanks for replying PM im guessing preventive Maintenance Im really new to this forum
could you please point me in the right direction Thanks so much .....

>>>>>>>2016 Harley-Davidson Touring Ultra Limited Low<<<<<<<<<<

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't forget your drain plug O rings and pipe thread sealer (locktite 565 with teflon or similar) for the primary drain. Derby/inspection cover gaskets as I suspect you will be checking, adjusting clutch while your at it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts