V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , biker need professional advice..

CASTROL GTX 20-50 in the engine for both bikes.(mineral)
AMSOIL SVG 75-140 in the tranny.
AMSOIL 20-50 in the primary.
I change oil in the engine every 1000 miles or 12 months( wich one came first) and the filter.
I change tranny and primary every year or no more than 5000 miles.
For winter storage I change fluids after storage and never crank the bike during storage.

I ve read on internet that using dino in my Harley it s not good and also changing fluids after storage period it s not indicated , do it prior storage.

I live in Romania lots of my rides are short and summer time it s really hot .
I would like to know your opinion about what I do with my bikes(oils,intervals), and if you would do it diferrent please let me know.If you have any advise please tell me. I like my bikes and I just want to have it for long time.

ANY EXPERIENCE, OPNION WILL BE VERY HELPFUL FOR ME , CAUSE I AM NEW IN THIS THINK AND ALL I DID WAS INTERNET. NO HARLEY SHOPS IN HERE.

1997 ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC - 60000 MILES
2004 SCREAMING EAGLE DEUCE -5000 MILES

Thank you much guys !

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I change oil in the engine every 1000 miles or 12 months( wich one came first) and the filter.
For winter storage I change fluids after storage and never crank the bike during storage.
My opinion FWIW; Why change engine oil at just 1,000 miles? Seems like a waste of perfectly good oil to me. Hell if you're on a trip you'd be changing it every other day! I would leave dino oil in for at *least* 3,000 miles (synthetic 5,000) and change it for winter storage. There's evidence that used oil (not worn out oil) actually lubricates better than new oil.
Good idea not starting the bike while stored. Certainly no need to change the new oil after winter, ride the bike.
Using HD Formula Plus they recommend 10,000 miles primary, and 20,000 miles transmission, as the change interval. I change both together at 10K or at winter storage which ever comes sooner.

Nice bikes!

·
Registered
938 Posts
It's a waste of oil and money changing the oil every thousand miles unless thats all you ride in a year!
Using dino or synthetic really does not matter as long as its changed when every 5000 miles or before storage.

As far as the primary,there is no need to spend the money on synthetic IMO.You can use something like Valvoline 20W50 motorcycle oil for a lot less.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Hello , biker need professional advice..

I ve read on internet that using dino in my Harley it s not good and also changing fluids after storage period it s not indicated , do it prior storage.

I live in Romania lots of my rides are short and summer time it s really hot .
I would like to know your opinion about what I do with my bikes(oils,intervals), and if you would do it diferrent please let me know.If you have any advise please tell me. I like my bikes and I just want to have it for long time.

ANY EXPERIENCE, OPNION WILL BE VERY HELPFUL FOR ME , CAUSE I AM NEW IN THIS THINK AND ALL I DID WAS INTERNET. NO HARLEY SHOPS IN HERE.

Thank you much guys !

According to the post, he only rides about 1000 miles a year. In that case, yes, change it out.
Dino oil is good, synthetic better. Comes down to what you're more comfortable with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you !
Yes the electra gets no more than 2000 miles a year, and the other bike like 5000 a year.
So, changing the oil at 1000 miles or 2000 miles will make no difference?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aaa ..probably it s a dumb question , but is there any chance to go directly to my posts , cause i cant figure it out, or is there any option to get an email with every answer? :confused:

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
In your profile settings check the box for email notifications.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts