V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the width, rise, and pullback for the stock handlebars on a Fat boy? Preferably a 2002 model.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
First, be careful about comparing data because different companies measure rise and pullback very differently. Some measure with the rise straight up and some measure with the rise at a more normal rake angle. This diference also afects the pullback number because in the straight up method you are just reading the actual angle on the bars while with the raked measurement, the rearward angle of the riser portion is included in the dimension. I am not saying all this because I find it interesting....I just went through a tough time trying to find new bars for my FLSTFI. Anyhow, Harley uses the "straight up" way (which I think is more accurate) of measuring and lists the overall width as 31 inches, the center width (straight part where it clamps to the trees) as 12.5 inches, the rise as 4.5 inches and the pullback as 8.5 inches.

Now, if your real question was where can I get some bars for my Fat Boy that won't give me a neck and back ache.....I switched to Wild1 Chubby bars #504. Wild1 even has a site showing a fat boy with stock vs. the #504 bars. they aren't cheap....an alternative if you want to sit more upright would be to get FLSTC bars for 35 bucks. Or better yet, the Road king Touring bars (harley #56557-95)...they are similar to stock Fat Boys except about 3 inches more rise....and Harley says they are ok to use on Fat Boys.

Anyhow...if all you really wanted was the dimensions...just ignore the other stuff. BTW....it is on the Harley site...just look at a specific bar and there is a link to the chart... or in the parts catalog....lists all the bars in a chart.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Handlebars

Hey All... I found the stock handlebars to be comfortable at first but the more I rode the more I felt uncomfortable... I have 900 miles on the bike now and I installed the mini apehangers (11" rise). Now I sit upright in the saddle and I love the feel.
Question? I have the 02 Fatboy with shotgun pipes. I would like to have it a little louder, not real loud! What can I do? Buen cielo, Dan NM

·
Registered
13 Posts
A Little Louder

If you are looking for the least expensive route, then all you need to do is drill out the baffles in the stock mufflers. Other than that, there are a million after market pipes and mufflers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
new bars again

Well Boys... I changed my handlebars again and I'm in heaven! Got the buckhorns which have a 1/2" less rise than the mini apehangers and the width is only 28". I put the Kury Aiken ISO grips on w/throttle boss and I cannot believe the difference! Total comfort now and I even have bend at my elbows. These bars are the Cat's Ass hands down. I did sit on a buddy's Heritage Classic and liked his stock bars, but mine feel better. I'm 6'1". Peace! Dan NM

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
logical,

Re the Wild1 504's - did you buy any other of the Wild1 hardware (chubby risers, top clamp, gauge mounts)?

BTW, how tall are you?

TIA,

wyodude - 6'3''

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: new bars again

poziovahim said:
Well Boys... I changed my handlebars again and I'm in heaven! Got the buckhorns which have a 1/2" less rise than the mini apehangers and the width is only 28". I put the Kury Aiken ISO grips on w/throttle boss and I cannot believe the difference! Total comfort now and I even have bend at my elbows. These bars are the Cat's Ass hands down. I did sit on a buddy's Heritage Classic and liked his stock bars, but mine feel better. I'm 6'1". Peace! Dan NM
I'm trying to figure out what to do about my bars too. What buckhorns? And did you have to replace any cables, etc.?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts