V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 Heritage saddlebags have taken quite a beating over the last year with my trips to Yellowstone, Yosemite and Sturgis in the rain. The outside finish is still nice but they are getting loose and floppy. I would like to line them with something to get their shape back, maybe sheet metal or plastic or maybe a foam spray for truck bed-liners. I really need some creative ideas from my fellow riders. Thanks. Later, Jefro.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Noted the thread referenced above...

have another idea that has worked for me. I put a $3.00 (Wal*Mart) inflatable beach ball in each side bag. Keep them there when parked in the garage, and when I don't need all the space in the bags. Bags still look great after almost one year.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a small piece of 1/8 inch thick lexan plastic and cut it to fit the circular part of the bag (not the flat sides)on the inside, then bent it to fit the curves with a heat gun. But it's too thick and impossible to get inside from the top opening. The leather soaking idea kinda sounds promising, I think a strong heat source to dry them out would firm them up. I did the same thing once making a holster. I have the Pro-One braces and they work well keeping the top reasonably flat. And then there is my back-up plan of buying hard bags from a Road King Classic with the leather covering. Thanks for the link to the other thread, saw some good ideas there. Later, Jefro.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to a horse saddle shop today with one of my Heritage bags, and the gal said to get a spray bottle of water and wet the inside of the bag til the leather is soaked real good. Then let it dry naturally indoors with no heat, and the leather should tighten up enough to get the shape squared up again. She said she soaks saddles in the horse trough then after they dry they firm right up. I'll try that and then add some thin lexan later if needed on the bottom for more support. Later, Jefro.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I had the same problem with my '95 Heritage.I tried wetting them & then stuffing them with rags & newspaper with little results.I've always liked the looks of the older Heritage slant style bags that were stock on '87 to '90 bikes. I kept my eye on e-bay & was lucky enough to score a pair at a very good price.They look great,retain their shape & can hold considerably more,which is allways a plus.
guido

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 89 Heritage had the slant style bags and they never lost their shape. The gal at the horse saddle shop said the 02 Heritage bags were 10 ounce leather which is quite thick, but the larger rounded design contributes to the looseness after a while. Saw some Leatherlyke hard bags at a dealer today and they could be a possibility if all else fails. Later, Jefro.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update... After much research I went with the plastic idea. I lined the bottom with stiff .093inch lexan from a plastic supply shop. Then I lined the front circular section with thinner .060inch lexan bent to match the contour and held in place by a snug fit between the sewn seams. And I did the same for the rear circular section. The top of the bag was easier. I glued a .093inch thick lexan piece to the underside and now the bags have a firm shape and look great. The hardest part was cutting the lexan to fit the inside of the bag contours. Later, Jefro.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Xineohp, I pulled this thread foward for you.
I can go into more detail about how I did the plastic inserts if you want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please Tell Me Your Problems with Heritage Saddle Bags

I am working with HD to improve the sag / warpage that happens over time to the leather.

My biggest problem right now is that I do not have any aged bags. I am specifically looking for anybody who cannot snap the cover.

Please email any pictures, data comments to [email protected].

Thank You,

Jesse Hollingsworth
Design Engineer Technician - OE Harley Davidson
Milsco Manufacturing
9009 North 51st Street
Milwaukee, WI 53223-2403
Phone: 414-410-3934
Fax: 414-354-0508

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please Tell Me Your Problems with Heritage Saddle Bags

I am working with HD to improve the sag / warpage that happens over time to the leather.

My biggest problem right now is that I do not have any aged bags. I am specifically looking for anybody who cannot snap the cover.

Please email any pictures, data comments to [email protected].

Thank You,

Jesse Hollingsworth
Design Engineer Technician - OE Harley Davidson
Milsco Manufacturing
9009 North 51st Street
Milwaukee, WI 53223-2403
Phone: 414-410-3934
Fax: 414-354-0508

·
Registered
65 Posts
My best solution was packing them full of newspaper after getting them really wet riding in a mondo rainstorm. Let them dry out for a week or so, and voila! However, since I try to avoid mondo rainstorms, and I just can't stand the thought of soaking them otherwise, mine are starting to look pretty ratty.:(

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello,

I would like to be a part of this interesting process of a possible redesign of the Heritage bags. I am interested in a new set of bags, or a swap, or outright purchase if it will help your project in any way. My interest is that future Heritage purchasers get the best possible bags as standard equipment on their new bikes.

I have been a contributing member of the V-TwinForum.com for a few years, and have found that many good ideas have originated on this site.

Please contact me at my e-mail address listed in the Members section.

Is this a project that was demanded by the Motor Company, or simply an internal upgrade from Milsco? I believe the Forum members would be pleasantly surprised that Suppliers for HD take our sometimes outspoken rantings seriously.

Jefro.

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
why dont they do em like the road king classic? factory quick disconnects would be sweet too (like the rkc) for cleaning the bike.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
An internal plastic liner like the Road King Classic is a great idea.
It's the same concept I wound up doing to my floppy bags.

·
Registered
3 Posts
floppy bags

Thanks for the input. I just started working on the saddle bags and I'm looking for all the input I can get. This forum seems to be a good source.

One complaint that I did not see here is that of the cover shrinking (natural process for leather). This causes the inability to snap the cover.

I am looking for those bags that the cover dose not snap. I am looking for a measurement (distance cover shrunk, distance snap moved)

Please let me know if anybody could help.

Thanks,

Jesse Hollingsworth
[email protected]

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My front snaps cannot be snapped, and are off by at least half an inch if not more. The rear snaps appear to be very close to center.

I am wondering if the weight of the items I carry in the bags (such as flat tire repair kit, tool kit, rain gear, etc...also help to deform the bags when the bike is bouncing down the road over bumps. Maybe a plastic bottom stiffener would help this.

I can take some digital photos and accurate measurements if you like.

·
Registered
39 Posts
For Heritage Classic Bags try this site. I used them on my 97 and it worked great the bags look 100% better. Call Steve and talk to him about your issues. He's a good guy.

ww.gotsaggybags.com

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is a timely thread. I was looking at doing it myself with plexiglass but dreaded the time and mess involved. I thought it better just to order the kit from www.gotsaggybags.com as some people have recommened here. It looks like it will accomplish what I'm after and do a better job of it. Thanks to all,

Silverback

1 - 20 of 22 Posts