V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one here use forward mounted floor boards on their FXR?
If so who makes them and how do you like them compared to ISO pegs.
I think that I would have a litte more room to shift my feet around on a long trip. My Road King is more comfortable on a trip with the floor boards but they are not forward mounted. Just trying to find what you guys might suggest. The bike now has the extended forward controls and I am thinking that the floor boards may not help as much that far forward. Hope this makes sense.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All of the FXRT's I have looked at came with mid controls and have pegs. I know that the police bikes have boards.
Thanks

·
SIDEY
79 Posts
These are all the parts I have. I'm pretty sure this is all you need, but it's been a while since I took these off. The rubber could use replacing but they work fine like they are. I would take $150 plus shipping for them. Give me a call James 713-256-9752

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK I bought the floorboards from James (Thanks) and have mounted them.
I didn't catch where the location of the shifter would set. I need to move it forward quite a bit. I looked at the bikes that came with boards and there seems to be a tube housing mounted in the front of the engine . Is this cast into the engine or is there an after market item that will move the piviot forward. I guess I could use a longer shift lever but that would increase the amount of angle required to shift. Any one have any ideas on what I could do here. The break is perfect just got a shifter in the midle of my board.
Thanks Guys

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Did these come with heel and toe shift like the FLHs? We use longer shifter levers to fix that. It is a common problem with all bagger riders. Look at the easy brake shifter lever or similar. I do not use the heel shift, but the longer lever at the toe makes the boards much more comfortable. You may want to modify the brake lever also, but that would have to be a custom mod.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Springer
I had looked at your setup but didn't realize that the shift lever was that long.
I would guess that these are hard to find. Do you know if you can swap out the primary cover from a FLT to a FXR and is the same shift shaft used? I was looking at my shop manual and it appears there are extra bolt(s) used with the FLT primary housing. I don't mind making the change if it will fit mine needs to be powder coated anyway. I found one on ebay but want to be sure it will exchange before I buy it.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
HD also sold a set of floorboards that bolted onto the bottom frame. All you had to do was raise your shifter and raise the brake, remove the footpegs and put something on the right side to hold the brake in place. I built my own.

Scourge

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update on the floorboards,
Ordered inner primary housing that has the shifter boss cast into the housing.
This will relocate the shifter forward. The bike is now ready for long hauls it is more comfortable and it seems to have improved the low speed handling. I am going to add a set of highway pegs so I can stretch out. My goal is to have a stripped down Road King that will haul a$$ and handle well. I think this is the frame (bike) to do it with.
Next some EVO Horse Power and a 6 Speed
Thanks for the help guys

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bamafest trip with the floor boards installed

Went to the Bamafest (forkland AL) this week end 1200 mile round trip and the floor boards are awsome. I reworked the forward pegs left the shifter on the forward untill I can change out the inner primary that has the boss for the shift arm. Out of all the bikes there I had the only FXR, very few peple knew what it was. I got a lot of complaments on the bike. Matter of fact there was less than half dozen EVO'S at the whole rally. Got to say I had the best sounding bike a the rally gota love that slow lope that the evo makes. The only problem I had was making the 500 mile return trip with the worst hang over I have had in years. Great rally guys it has some of the best people to party with.

Wet grass and drinking = bike on the side and looking up at the stars no damage just a bunch of grass and dirt stuck in the heat shields and floor boards

:ntlgh:

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I've got a set of boards on my 1985 FXRC. I just poted pics in the "let's see everyone's FXR" thread. They're on the last page. I'll never go without them.
Corey

1 - 14 of 14 Posts