V-Twin Forum banner

Do You Think Floating Brake Rotors Make A Noticable Difference?

• These things are great!

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Ahhh--Don't Bother...

Votes: 4 19.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen floating rotors around. I was thinking of putting one on the front of my Deuce (don't think the rear would make any difference). Does anyone have some direct experieence with them; do they make a noticable difference? Thanks as always for all your input!!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Got them installed yesterday (2 on the front of my king). Didn't notice much riding home, but need to break in the new pads. I'll let you know.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Unless you're an agressive braker you'll never notice the benefits. They look nice and work excellent but you probably won't notice a difference. I think you would notice more braking from a pad upgrade. What do you expect from them ??????

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I was getting chrome rotors, so got floating as well, didn't get them for better performance (added new kevlar pads as well). Rode today, didn't notice anything, but I don't use the brakes aggressively.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
They are not chrome, they are polished. Chrome would eventually peel and be a safety hazard. Whose pads did you go with ??

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Actually, I think they are chrome, in the center (the floating rotors are 2 piece, inner and outer), the outer is sort of polished, HD quality (LOL). The pads were EBC, based on a prior thread by Hippo, and the shop installing the calipers, etal.

I had the impression that on floating rotors, is was not uncommon (maybe even common) to chrome the inner center. Agree the outer would have to be polished.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Yes center is chrome, many think the rotor is also chrome, they can polish up that good. floating rotors have to be two piece, wouldn't be able to move otherwise. Ebc are good pads, I am considering LYNDALL pads for my next pad change, just wondered if thats what you had. Ride fast/safe and enjoy.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I have floating rotors on my 99 Sport. They work very well. Yes, they are designed to cool down quicker to prevent warpage and are for aggressive breaking. If you have them, there is not much of a benifit unless you have a good set of "sticky" tires.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, they are very light, so that when you throw them into water they don't sink.--kidding--

They call them floating because they are designed in two separate pieces. You can see where they are joined by the round washer looking parts located radially just inside of the braking surface. What that part does is allow for lateral movement (side to side) between the hub and the actual braking surface. This absorbs some fo the vibration due to out of true wheels, slightly warped rotors or during stresses in turns. The key is to keep the pad in contact with the rotor at all times, to maximize braking force. Any sport bike you see will usually have two of them up front.

That's what a little bird told me anyway...

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Exactly my question.....as below......

kslg said:
I have seen floating rotors around. I was thinking of putting one on the front of my Deuce (don't think the rear would make any difference). Does anyone have some direct experieence with them; do they make a noticable difference? Thanks as always for all your input!!
BUMP this up because it is pretty much what I wanted to ask - and it has a good thread title to boot.
The other reason I am considering a front floating rotor is that the brake pad on one side is wearing more than the other side. Anybody else experience this?
Thanks for looking, and voting, if you did, if you are Orange, etc........John

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
I ones I put on were for looks, I just so happened to have done it when I needed pads as well. I used LRB gold pads and there is better braking for sure.

But the best thing to come out of it is I haven't had a squeal or any noise out of them since installed about 2500 miles ago. The other is it looks like the wear is more even and they are going to outlast my last set of pads.

·
I love BIG headlights...
386 Posts
I have dual floating rotors and Lyndall pads, I had the uneven wear thing with the Harley pads, changed to SBS pads better wear better breaking TONS AND TONS of brake dust freakin everywhere, went to Lyndall, never going back I went with the Z-pads man what a difference, put them on my sons Dyna FXDX as well BIG improvement and he has dual non floating rotors. The Lydall pads I believe make more difference than the floating rotors, but you should get longer life form the floating rotor and more even wear, and of course ther IS the cool factor. I hated my factory brake setup on the front of my bike now I love it and I trust it.

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
Griffiss said:
I have dual floating rotors and Lyndall pads, I had the uneven wear thing with the Harley pads, changed to SBS pads better wear better breaking TONS AND TONS of brake dust freakin everywhere, went to Lyndall, never going back I went with the Z-pads man what a difference, put them on my sons Dyna FXDX as well BIG improvement and he has dual non floating rotors. The Lydall pads I believe make more difference than the floating rotors, but you should get longer life form the floating rotor and more even wear, and of course ther IS the cool factor. I hated my factory brake setup on the front of my bike now I love it and I trust it.
i put em on to get rid of that friggin' whirring sound the stockers made. i also put s/s lines on at th same time. i really felt the changes are worth the $$$.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts