V-Twin Forum banner

FLITZ?

• Great tip, Thanks

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Every biker lready uses it Logical, where have you been?

Votes: 2 40.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was washing the Fat Boy this weekend and decided to spray on some wesleys on the tires and wheel cleaner on the wheels just like I always do on the truck. Went to hose it off and it looked kind of milky. I went on to wash the rest of it, dry it with the leaf blower, wax the paint and do all the little hand detailing. Last task was to wipe that milky stuff off the wheels....figured I'd use a damp rag, maybe some S100 or maybe some 409. None of them worked, so I tried glass cleaner, alchohol, WD-40, CLR, shower door cleaner, wax, scratch-X, vinegar, never-dull, color-back, gasoline, and a bunch of stuff i've forgotten I even had a bottle of. Nothing even touched this streaky, white mess...it was ugly and i even got the catalog out and started to think about new wheels.

The wheels were still covered with a white mess on every machined surface...looked like a really bad case of soapy water spotting but worse. I figured out finally that the wheels are not clearcoated and the wesleys must have actually oxidized (corroded) the alluminum so I went after it with polishing compound, then rubbing compound....and even 2000 grit wet sandpaper. I had every bottle in my garage and basement lined up and had been to Kmart, Pep Boys and Home Depot for more. The 2000 grit was the only thing that even touched this mess so I planned to spend last night wetsanding every inch of both wheels and then probably polishing/buffing somehow after that....figured I was in for 6 hours easy.

Somewhere along the way I had tried to use chrome polish (non-abrasive) and it had made a tiny difference but not much so I started thinking that what i really need is a chemical, not an abrasive...something to "convert" or remove what is basically alluminum rust. as a last ditch effort I stopped at ACO hardware. Bought a metal polish in the cleaner section called FLITZ Metal Polish...little plastic bottle about 5 ounces for 5 bucks. Took it home, spread it on a Scotch-Brite pad and 2 hours later had the wheels shining like new...maybe better....this stuff cut right through the oxidation. It took a little rubbing but this stuff was actually working chemically like nothing else I tried.

Anyhow....if you have uncoated alluminum...try this stuff.

Or does everybody else in the world already know about this stuff?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Didn't know about Flitz, but I do have some polish a gun collector gave me, I think it is called Simi-Chrome or something like that. It does a really good job of removing oxidation from anything.

John

·
Registered
629 Posts
We used Flitz on all the brass on the ship, works pretty good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts