V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have a ball park figure on a 103 upgrade by a harley dealer. also is it worth it or should i go with the 113? what is total out the door cost of both. ball park figure is o.k.

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
Hard to say

My experience is that if horsepower and torque is what you want you might be happiest with Jims crate engines, that being said I'm pretty satisfied with my 103 build from my dealer and don't have any title issues caused by replacing the engine.

YMMV good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
136 Posts
22moss said:
anyone have a ball park figure on a 103 upgrade by a harley dealer. also is it worth it or should i go with the 113? what is total out the door cost of both. ball park figure is o.k.
Most people on this forum are getting as much or more HP from 95 to 98 CI TC's
with Compression rates in the 9.8:1 to 10.5:1 range. IF you are going to take the 103 path and the engine is already open take a look at adding bigger Cylinders. You can add the 103 crank bigger cylinders and have a 107 CI, or a 117 etc.

I think a call to HD Wrench would be worth your time

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
My dealer has a Winter Special good until Feb. 28 for a 103 EFI Stroker Stage I, which includes SE slip-ons, A/C, Download, and Labor for $3,599.

That is a good deal, will be a little mild from the dealer, so a SERT dyno tune should be good for maybe 100 / 100 at the rear wheel.

I am doing this on my FXDWGI because it is done by a HD dealer who will stand behind it and it keeps compression down to avoid detonation.

This is just what I like for myself, other people have proven 95" or 98" kits that make big numbers, and I am sure they do quality work, and most likely cheaper than a dealer 103.

I think it comes down to what you are comfortable doing. Good luck.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I personally don't think the 103 kits are worth the money. I've seen as good of results with the 95 or 98 kits and you don't have to change the crankshaft. Ask HDWRENCH, he could point you in the right direction with a bagger.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
harleyhinzy said:
I personally don't think the 103 kits are worth the money. I've seen as good of results with the 95 or 98 kits and you don't have to change the crankshaft. Ask HDWRENCH, he could point you in the right direction with a bagger.
I guess you settled for a 95" :roflback:

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
harleyhinzy said:
Well, not because I am getting a dealer 103 but I think these "103 is doggy" comments are way off base.

First, I am quite sure HDWRENCH does excellent work and has proven packages, as many others do.

Smaller cubic inches can make big power, although you usually need to go with high compression, big cams, and head work. The tradeoff at times is heat, detonation, drivability, everyday use, etc.

The factory HD 103 is mild to begin with, tuned to meet EPA, noise requirements, and so on.

That factory 103 with a good SERT dyno tune will give big numbers while keeping compression down, helping hold heat / detonation down, can stay with a mild cam for drivability, fairly easy on the starter, etc.

This is how I see it, and a 103, 114, 120 + just gives you more room to expand components for big results.

This is why HD does a 103 for CVO bikes instead of a high compression, high RPM 88 or 95.

It comes down to how you want to get to an around 100 HP/ TQ. number.

The dealer 103 kit maintains warranty and can be supported by all HD dealers, peace of mind for some.

In the old Muscle Car days a 70 SS 454 Chevelle was kind of "doggy" from the dealer. But add headers, a Holley, and bump up the timing........wallah!...tire smoking beast.

So, go ahead..............:spank:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey DCRANER nothing was ever said about a 103 being doggy. No doubt the 103s are a strong engine, But are the horsepower gains really worth the extra money versus a 95 or 98 build. As Jerry McGuire would say "Show me the Money"

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
harleyhinzy said:
No doubt the 103s are a strong engine, But are the horsepower gains really worth the extra money versus a 95 or 98 build.
Was to me, that's why I did it. :thumbsup:

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
harleyhinzy said:
Hey DCRANER nothing was ever said about a 103 being doggy. No doubt the 103s are a strong engine, But are the horsepower gains really worth the extra money versus a 95 or 98 build. As Jerry McGuire would say "Show me the Money"
My point was cubic inches is an easy way to make power, especially lowend torque, without pushing the limits so-to-speak, where say a 95" needs compression / cams to get the numbers.

You have a point about cost, but my case is @ $3,599 which includes labor, SE slip-ons, A/C, and a SERT download I think is a very good deal. Plus, it is HD parts done by a HD dealer who is 10 miles from my house, and they stand behind the work. That makes it a little easy on my mind.

And...............I am 55, both kids college paid, they are working, mortgage paid, so why not waste some money on myself. :cheers: brother! Ride on.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Step 1) always build the biggest motor you can afford. Key word being "afford". No replacement for displacement. Since you can afford it..build it. Your point of rather having a high strung 95" motor making 100ftlbs...or a lazy 103 making 100ftlbs sooner is understood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts