V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
10,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys.. As ol' man Winter approaches I want to tear in to the motor on my glide... The current setup is:

'07 FLHX Stock Engine
Rinehart Duals
Ness Big Sucker
ThunderMax Auto-Tune

I am a big guy, 6'4" 280 lbs. and I don't want any issues when my girl is aboard, she is 120 lbs making us a 400 lb package to carry... California gas sucks, 91 octane at best, so I am leaning toward 10:1 or less static compression. I want good torque out the gate and the ability to approach 100HP with no worry of pinging / overheating. From what I have been reading this is not asking too much.

Basically a buddy of mine had a a stealer install an SE 95 build on his 06 FLHX and he can spank me.. He is only 30 lbs. lighter and I outride him everywhere but the straights...

I want to do this right, I want it to be reliable, I want it to be enjoyable on a daily basis. I expect to do head work, I like the idea of gear drive cams, I am undecided between the 103 & 107, I think the 103 will do what I want it to and I am pretty certain I will not have problems with te 103 as far as longevity is concerned. I like what I have read about GMR's 107 kit, it sounds like a little more than I am looking for, but I will be calling them to talk about it.

Anybody want to share their 103 / 107 builds on an 07 FLH???? Besides Cams, Porting, Boring, Pistons-Pins, Gaskets etc. should I be looking at anything else for my parts list?

{salute(

·
Banned
10,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks, that's pretty much what I figured.. The CAM / Porting / Tuning will all make a bigger difference than the 4 cubes... Which CAM / Compression would you recommend for a 103"?

·
Registered
917 Posts
<<I want to do this right, I want it to be reliable, I want it to be enjoyable on a daily basis. I expect to do head work, I like the idea of gear drive cams>>

bore your jugs and go 103"

target compression of 185psi ccc (fine for Calif gas, no compression releases needed, easy on starter).

decide who will be doing your heads and go with their cam suggestion.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Just finished a build on my 07 FLHX. I went 103, Bigboyz heads at 10:3 to 1 with Andrews 31h cam D&D fatcat w/quiet baffle and a sert. I could not be happier. Starts great, idles smooth with no low speed surging, has great low end torque and runs out nice. No pinging at all, and best of all is the heat is under control now. I am sure there are lots of choices, just wanted to share mine.

·
Banned
10,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys.. Thanks for all the input so far.. I like the sound of the HeadQuarters stuff... I am not familiar with them, but it looks like they have been around a LONG time.. I am gonna have to call all these guys.. So far it is Headquarters, GMR and BigBoyz I will be considering..

Their prices are all within $200-$300 of each other..

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
103 route

I just had some ebay stock seasoned cylinders bored to 103, using SE forged
flat top pistons,will get the deck ht to zero. Porting my 07 heads using 1.90 in valves, 1.60 ex . Kibblewhite valves, Woods beehive springs. 86cc chambers, .030 head gaskets. Custom cams, In 18op-40cl, 550 lift, ex 50op-22cl, 530 lift. Ground by Andrews for me. Stock TB with a stage II ness filter EVO cover, Trying to keep the look older for the Street Bob look. Already have the T-Max auto tune.
Again in keeping the older bobber look im staying with the stock header pipes with the crossover and S&S slash-cut slip-ons. I know i'll hear about no 2-1 pipe but just cant get the look i want with that. As soon as the weather turns bad all the good stuff is going in. Right now its making 75hp and 86trq. I think I can up that alittle:xhere:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Just noticed you are from Escalon,CA...you are lucky.

You have one of the best head porters in the country and one of the best efi tuners about an hour away from you.

Drop by BC Gerolamy in Rancho Cordova and talk to Barry about head work.

Drop by RC Cycle in Hayward and talk to Ron and Bob about build/tuning.

With those guys near you you don't need to go anywhere else.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
103 Combination

Our 103" kit (your heads/cylinders re-worked) with our proven Stage II heads, complete with a Bob Wood TW6-6 cams, pushrods, gaskets, bored/honed,pistons, ready to bolt togather, is 1957.00 This combo has shown as much as 115 hp and 127 ft/lbs with the OE t/body and a good 2/1 pipe. This is a 10:1 c/r engine, and the mpg is great, heat is down. Lots of fun. Truly a great bang for the dollar.
Scott

·
?????
3,531 Posts
sublime said:
Hey guys.. Thanks for all the input so far.. I like the sound of the HeadQuarters stuff... I am not familiar with them, but it looks like they have been around a LONG time.
I was on the fence for quite a while when I was getting ready to do my build. I talked with Doug at HQ and learned a lot, the man knows his sh!t. I did a HQ build and couldn't be more pleased.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
My hometown is where all the HD techs are trained in Canada; when I asked the head instructor there about hopping up my bike he recommended HQ. Have done 4 motors with Doug's stuff now and I can assure you he's been around since shortly after the earth cooled and knows his stuff...check out my 103 in the dyno section 07-15-2007. Dougs working on a 120 now that's gonna have monster street torque. Note how my 103 has 100ft lbs at 2200 rpm; rode two up through Montana and BC this summer in 90+ heat and smooth as silk the whole time.

'01 FXDXT Bagger Lite

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Either way the 103 or the 107 is fine you are boring cylinders anyways. And for peak numbers your gainwould be a tad more but the tq curve is broaden with a 107 even at lower compression ranges. We have a 107 that has the 525 cam in it and I waiting on the dyno sheets from it. I do not look to see a big hp number, but the tq curve will be very nice.

Best money spent is in the heads, You are not that far if you get out on a road trip stop in.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114189 check this out we just did a mild bagger kit, you can see the tq come on and pull though out the RPM range.

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
Can't immagine

Harleypingman said:
The HQ packages come with a SERT or PCIII map for your build--build it/ride it.
Any canned map being spot on. Even 2 completely stock bikes tune differently. Close I suppose?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts