V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Hawgwash,
The SERT, or Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner is a computer program with a serial port module interface so you can reprogram your bike's ECM (electronic control module), with your computer. I had the Stage 1 download from the dealer, which has very lean settings, and bike ran not so great. I then bought a DFO (digital fuel optimizer), and it worked pretty good, but it couldn't get the ping out of light throttle roll-on. Now I have a SERT, which allows you to change the EFI air/fuel and spark parameter tables to correct the air/fuel ratio by RPM and MAP, as needed. The SERT allowed me to correct the ping, change the engine idle, and adjust the rev limiter. This is the only customer product that can reprogram the ECM. The other popular products, DFO and PClll(Power Commander) alter the electronic pulse waves from the current ECM download to the injectors. You can save yourself some money if you get the SERT right off the bat, find a dyno tuner who uses the SERT, and have him dial your bike's EFI system with the SERT on the dyno. Plus the SERT is always there to correct the air/fuel ratio if you change engine components over to hi-performance parts. There is a great "sticky" in the Engine Mods section by the famous "Springer" which explains how to get started with the SERT. Hope this helps you.

Thorns

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Doesn't sound normal. Is your bike completely stock, or have you changed the air cleaner and exhaust? Does you bike sputter and quit when it's at operating temp, or when you first start it? Possible the dealer tech reprogrammed the ECM with the wrong download, or you have something starting to fail causing the engine to sputter and quit. I would take it back and speak with the Service Manager about the situation. Don't be an A-hole about it, but be certainly firm that you want something done, as the bike shouldn't sputter and quit while riding. Remind him this is a safety factor also. Let us know what they do for you. I had a simular situation, and the dealer is always too quick to say, "oh, that's normal for a H-D".

Thorns

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Let me get this clear. You are paying your dealer for the SERT and they are going to install it for you, all for $600.00? Or, are you buying the SERT, and they going to install it, and you have to pay for dyno time which totals $600.00?

Thorns

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
You are right, you paid the $32K(oh my God), and you should have a motorcycle that not only runs great, but when you get off of it, you should feel completely satisfied, emotionally drained, and your pants shouldn't be at your ankles. :xhere:

Thorns

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.