V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY new Screamin Eagle arrived.Had the dealer install Rinehart Duals & Stage 1 Air Cleaner. Now he tells me he can't re-map until Harley releases the new
program on hopefully January 10th. HELP! is this my only option at this time?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Get a race tuner (SERT) and then take it to a dyno shop. You will end up paying less in the long run and have a much smoother running bike with a bit more HP to boot.

I had the map and it was never quite right.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Save money on that canned map

You will end up paying for a download that's still gonna be running lean. I, too, ended up getting a SERT after paying for a couple of different downloads.
Some 'stealers' will actually have someone that knows how to dyno tune the SERT. After the 'stage one' re-map, my bike was still backfiring thru the throttle body and just generally running sh*tty. Of course the selling dealer will tell you 'That's how a Harley runs' (Hehehehe) My scoot was running so lean, while out in Co. at upper elevations the motor sounded like someone had a handful of marbles and were shaking them. Start out with a SERT and save yourself the frustration. The SERT will correct a lot problems such as intermittent 'high idle', and all the coughing and kicking back thru the throttle body. It also dropped the temp of my oil 20 degrees. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Krayven Sumhead said:
You will end up paying for a download that's still gonna be running lean. I, too, ended up getting a SERT after paying for a couple of different downloads.
Some 'stealers' will actually have someone that knows how to dyno tune the SERT. After the 'stage one' re-map, my bike was still backfiring thru the throttle body and just generally running sh*tty. Of course the selling dealer will tell you 'That's how a Harley runs' (Hehehehe) My scoot was running so lean, while out in Co. at upper elevations the motor sounded like someone had a handful of marbles and were shaking them. Start out with a SERT and save yourself the frustration. The SERT will correct a lot problems such as intermittent 'high idle', and all the coughing and kicking back thru the throttle body. It also dropped the temp of my oil 20 degrees. Well worth the money.
I hate to sound ignorant but what is a SERT?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Look into the TFI/DFO module by Dobeck performance,it will give you the added fuel trim you need and not require a canned or otherwise map to lie to the ECM.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Hawgwash,
The SERT, or Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner is a computer program with a serial port module interface so you can reprogram your bike's ECM (electronic control module), with your computer. I had the Stage 1 download from the dealer, which has very lean settings, and bike ran not so great. I then bought a DFO (digital fuel optimizer), and it worked pretty good, but it couldn't get the ping out of light throttle roll-on. Now I have a SERT, which allows you to change the EFI air/fuel and spark parameter tables to correct the air/fuel ratio by RPM and MAP, as needed. The SERT allowed me to correct the ping, change the engine idle, and adjust the rev limiter. This is the only customer product that can reprogram the ECM. The other popular products, DFO and PClll(Power Commander) alter the electronic pulse waves from the current ECM download to the injectors. You can save yourself some money if you get the SERT right off the bat, find a dyno tuner who uses the SERT, and have him dial your bike's EFI system with the SERT on the dyno. Plus the SERT is always there to correct the air/fuel ratio if you change engine components over to hi-performance parts. There is a great "sticky" in the Engine Mods section by the famous "Springer" which explains how to get started with the SERT. Hope this helps you.

Thorns

·
Registered
16 Posts
EFI Module

I'm a bit confused. My FLHTCUSE runs lean. It occasionally sputters and often dies. The dealer thinks this is no big deal and I should just get used to riding a Harley, because that's the way they act. This is my third fuel injected Harley and neither of the other two ever acted like this one. I was told there is nothing they can do, just live with it. Sorry, but for $32k the bike needs to run right when I pick it up, not after I spend another few hundred dollars on additional equipment that will void the warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Doesn't sound normal. Is your bike completely stock, or have you changed the air cleaner and exhaust? Does you bike sputter and quit when it's at operating temp, or when you first start it? Possible the dealer tech reprogrammed the ECM with the wrong download, or you have something starting to fail causing the engine to sputter and quit. I would take it back and speak with the Service Manager about the situation. Don't be an A-hole about it, but be certainly firm that you want something done, as the bike shouldn't sputter and quit while riding. Remind him this is a safety factor also. Let us know what they do for you. I had a simular situation, and the dealer is always too quick to say, "oh, that's normal for a H-D".

Thorns

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
jvall1201 said:
MY new Screamin Eagle arrived.Had the dealer install Rinehart Duals & Stage 1 Air Cleaner.

Forget the dealer down load as it's not gonna work anyway. since you went to true duals ...the cylinder mapping for both cylinders needs changing.
The duals have a dramatic effect on scavaging/fill of both cylinders compared to the stock headers which are sort of a "poor mans" 2-1. Aint no canned dealer down load for $150.00 thats going to be close.
So...now you buy the race tuner (SERT). But..you load the map for a SE Fat Boy with a/c and slip ons if it's available for 06. If not you copy and paste the map for an 05 SE Fat Boy...onto the map for an 06 FLHTCUSE....but you lower the target A/F ratios for both cylinders down to 13.9 any place they are higher...and cut the Decel Enleanment values in half...then load it.
Simple...isnt it !!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Thequidg said:
I'm a bit confused. My FLHTCUSE runs lean. It occasionally sputters and often dies. The dealer thinks this is no big deal and I should just get used to riding a Harley, because that's the way they act. This is my third fuel injected Harley and neither of the other two ever acted like this one. I was told there is nothing they can do, just live with it. Sorry, but for $32k the bike needs to run right when I pick it up, not after I spend another few hundred dollars on additional equipment that will void the warranty.
'
Until you install the SERT, it's gonna run terrible. Have it installed by an authorized dealer (not necessarily where the bike was bought) and the warranty won't be voided. My '03 Ultra was kicking back thru the throttle body, misfiring, dying and generally running sh*tty. SERT cured all of that and more. Make sure to have the SERT set up with a dynamometer.
F*ck the maps it comes with. My stock TC88 is at 79 hp. (I'd have to look up the paper work for the torque). 32,500 miles. Best addition to the bike I've ever made sides the Hogtunes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sert

If I wasn't paying HD for the SERT, and paying HD to install the SERT, I might not feel so bad about spending an additional $600 for my $32000 motorcycle run right. I guess I'm old fashioned. I expect the doggone thing to run right WITHOUT extra parts/work.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Let me get this clear. You are paying your dealer for the SERT and they are going to install it for you, all for $600.00? Or, are you buying the SERT, and they going to install it, and you have to pay for dyno time which totals $600.00?

Thorns

·
Registered
16 Posts
SERT Not Stock

The motorcycle costs $32k. It does not come with a SERT. It runs lean, causing it to sputter occasionally, often dying in the mniddle of intersections. In order to make the $32k bike run right, the overpaying customer must purchase the SERT for $400 and pay an additional $200 for the dyno.

I plan to push HD into correcting the problem without cost to me. Again, I expect the f**king thing to run right when I buy it! It's not as though I bought it from a shady guy down the street.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
You are right, you paid the $32K(oh my God), and you should have a motorcycle that not only runs great, but when you get off of it, you should feel completely satisfied, emotionally drained, and your pants shouldn't be at your ankles. :xhere:

Thorns

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thequidg said:
The motorcycle costs $32k. It does not come with a SERT. It runs lean, causing it to sputter occasionally, often dying in the mniddle of intersections. In order to make the $32k bike run right, the overpaying customer must purchase the SERT for $400 and pay an additional $200 for the dyno.

I plan to push HD into correcting the problem without cost to me. Again, I expect the f**king thing to run right when I buy it! It's not as though I bought it from a shady guy down the street.
I'm having (somewhat) the same issue with my 06 SE Ultra. Don't know where you live but I live at 6000 feet (no I don't live in an airplane) and I've had mine sputter in the middle of an intersection (very unnerving). I have learned that the bike HAS to be fully warmed up before riding or it can (and has) die a block from the house and be a bitch to get re-started. Mine has no mods... just as it came out of the box. I wonder if it requires adjustment for running at this altitude. My 2000 FLHTC (carb) ran great and I seldom used the choke to start it. Of course I had re-jetted it too.
I'd like to know what the stealer has to say about your issue and what (if any) the final resolution is. Please either post or PM me.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
jvall1201 said:
MY new Screamin Eagle arrived.Had the dealer install Rinehart Duals & Stage 1 Air Cleaner. Now he tells me he can't re-map until Harley releases the new
program on hopefully January 10th. HELP! is this my only option at this time?
You fellas with 06's are fukked.

You're not supposed to mess with anything as your sled is EPA compliant.

·
Registered
16 Posts
EPA Rules

The EPA rule in question has been in effect since 1079--they simply don't enforce it. Theoretically, the Feds can fine you up to $10k PER DAY for non-compliance. This isn't just on '06 models, it includes '79 models and up. I know of a couple of guys who had their warranties voided by HD in earlier years. The significance of this one is that they've made it mandatory for the dealership to void the warranty at the time of making the changes. Of course, that doesn't solve the sputtering issue.

As far as high altitude problems, the ECM should take care of that automatically. Of course, the stock map causes it to run lean to begin with, the altitude makes it even more lean.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sputtering

SEULTRA said:
I'm having (somewhat) the same issue with my 06 SE Ultra.
Take it the dealership and demand it be corrected! I'm told HD has had several other complaints. The squeeky wheel gets the grease!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sputtering News

My dealer called me and told me HD has issued a service bulletin regarding the sputtering problem. He said the fix is likely to be larger fuel injectors. I have an appointment on Tuesday. I'll report my findings. Cheers!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts