V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a Ultra, Blue and Diamond Ice, and should have it some time in March or April when I return to the states. Can't wait! :D Getting the Missus a 883R too. Any advice on the new bike would be appreciated. Mods, must haves, nice to haves and so on?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
That's really personal.
The new Ultra's are nice enough to ride as they are, at least for as long as it takes to figure out what YOU want.
You need to ride it for a while to see how it fits you, and then target the modifications to your wants and needs.
I find I like my bikes significantly different from most, but they work for me.

I would approach engine modifications very conservatively, other then pipes, as there is not yet a significant database as far as EFI maps for the Delphi EFI on dressers.

Most people that buy Ultras use them for touring. When touring, simple is better.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input and I'm sure your right, once I get it and puts some miles on her I'm sure I'll find what works for me. :)

Dave

·
Registered
305 Posts
UHC,

You're getting a clone to my bike, or mine is a clone to yours?

Anyway, you may want to consider the Stage 1 being done by your dealer prior to delivery. It's a real nice "bang for the buck" as far as performance enhancements go.

You won't want to ride with the stock pipes very long anyway, who wants to be whisper quiet?

Cold Rider

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Got to agree with both here. Hippo points out the new pipes and CR points out the stage 1. That should be done together IMHO.

The stage one will be set to perform with the new mufflers.

One thing. IF, you have them do a stage one at delivery, or shortly thereafter, make sure you keep the off parts. If you go to a big bore set up later you will need the parts and should not have to buy them again.

Personally, I chose to compleat the first 1,000 before doing anything. The stage one and the pipes are not that much money however, if rolled into your financing, they are a hell of a lot more. If you take the bike stock and plan on paying for it over an extended period, the lower the principle the better.

Mods are personal preference as Hippo said. Money is money however so HOW you go about accomplishing your goals can make a big difference at the end of the day.

In that you are buying two bikes, have you managed to negotiate any of this as part of the deal? Meaning, have you arrived at a bottom price for both bikes and THEN asked for this and that as part of the deal?

Personally, I think a dealer selling two bikes should be willing to toss in the stage one kit at no charge. Then you tell them you will supply the mufflers and you want them installed at the same time. They can warranty the work and exclude parts warranty on the mufflers.

Most other mods come with time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You are gonna like that bike, just got my 02 FLHTCUI, red and black, in November, just had the first service done. Installed Khrome Werks HP-Plus slip-on, real nice sounding pipes, not too loud can still hear the radio. According to my dealer the EFI can adjust to just pipes but not to a Se air cleaner also, for that you need the Harley re-map or power commander. NOt sure I will go with either, only getting 38-40 mpg now and do not want it any lower than that, course the bike only has 1200 miles on it, hopefully it will improve and if and when it does I will do the other mods.
Congrats on the new bike.
Gary

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice. Since I'm buying the bikes from the base I don't have an option for add-ons from a dealer. I get to pick from a list of bikes that have been set aside for military sales. The only advantage is that I get the bikes for MSRP plus tax, tags and so on. I do get to decide if I want the extended warranty. I haven't ever bought one so I'm having a hard time justifying it.

Dave

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dprice,

The Ultra's projected build date is on the 18th of this month and the 883R is already built, so my wait is only until the end of this month. Unfortunatly, I won't be back in the states until sometime in March, so the wait is almost all on my part. The price of the bikes are MSRP plus $700 and change for the warranty (each) and the cost of the alarm on the dresser. The extended warranty is the only option I have. I still can't decide if I want it or not.

Dave

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hippo, the $700 is suppose to be for the extended warranty. Does this seem high for the warranty?

Gotta check my paper work again.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If the $700.00 is for an "extended warranty" and it is the HD extended warranty for 5 years or so as it's usually sold to civilians, it would be a very good price, likely reflecting the true cost without excessive dealer markup.
You have to decide, if you decide to go for it it would definitely make much more sense for an Ultra then for a Sporty as there is a enormous gap in potential repair costs, and if you were to sell it in a few years it might be a selling point with some.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Since you did not have a touring bike before I meant to ask if you ordered the bike with cast or laced wheels? Does it make a difference to you? If it doesn't you definitely want the cast wheels on a touring bike, for anumber of reasons.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't get a choice in the matter. The bike comes with cast wheels, alarm, and 2 tone. I can't change a thing. The military dealer has a new list coming out soon, so I still have a chance to decide if I want a differant bike. I'm gonna stick with this one, maybe. I might ditch the warranty though, I still can't decide.

Dave

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wouldn't chose the lace option, even if I could. I'm too friggin lazy when it comes to cleaning wheels. I've got a Guzzi with laced wheels and hate cleaning them. I know there are probably tricks to make cleaning easier, but like I said, I'm lazy. I'll stick with cast.

Dave

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
On a TOURING bike any number of reasons. Near town not as much of a factor other then the safety issues.

HD spoke wheels run tubes, they are much more likely to blow out as opposed to just deflate at speed if punctured, and they build up more heat uder load.

If you have a flat it is easy to repair on the road with a tubeless tire. Major pain with a tube on a heavy bike without centerstand, if doable at all.

You eliminate all the maintenance as far as tightening spokes and possibly truing the wheel, as well as replacing broken spokes.

Spoke wheels tend to get out of balance over time more then cast wheels.

In the old days the advantage of spokes was that the wheels were repairable, but the cost these days is as much as a new wheel, so it has become irrelevant as far as cost and it is much easier to find a new wheel then someone that can do a good job of repairing one.

On the dowside cast wheels can develop cracks that leak air if they hit an obstacle hard enough and just right, where a spoke wheel may just bend and be able to limp you home, but it is a real longshot and if you worry about it you should get forged wheels or what they call "billet" these days. Personally I much rather have the bead retaining capability of stock cast HD wheels, and if looks is a factor you can always polish them or chrome them for a fraction of the cost of good aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ultra is a nice choice for a Touring machine... The 883 in my opnion is a waste of good money... Upgrade if you can to the 1200.... More value for your money, Same basic bike with best engine... Easier to sell or trade up later.... Been there, done that,, My first bike was an 883... Hard to move later when I wanted to upgrade........ there is a far better market for the 1200 in later years..

Ordered my bike through Afee's while stationed in Okinawa.... Got a good deal.... Avoided the extended warrantee.... took delivery at a local dealership.... was treated like crap because the dealership didn't make any money on the deal... Dealership tried to sell me extended warranty package, clothes, mods etc. and would have charged me premo $$ for putting them on the bike!! but, local purchase people would have gotten a break!! Not fair but, that's the way it goes....

BTW... If your wife is new to riding a Harley and you think that an 883 is more suited for her size, weight and experience keep in mind that a Sportster is a little "stiff" in riding... My wife learned on a Sportster... then she got on my Roadking and commented on how much easier the big bike was to ride.... Of course the big bikes are heavier but still easier to ride..... the 883's and 1200's are almost the same bike but, the 883's are plagued as "Hard to sell" to experienced riders and the only market for them is to young riders or wives who feel they want to test the water first.... Go for a 1200..

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Doug,

Thanks for the input. Been out of town for a while enjoying myself. Since we have returned, the missus and I have decided to ditch the 883 and the extended warranty on the Ultra. Too much going on when I return to the states to mess with teaching the wife how to ride and picking up 2 motorcycles. I might be moving to Seattle from San Diego. And, they can't seem to find any Cal. emission Ultra's (Hippo says he ain't seen any either, right Hippo?) so, I have to register it in AZ and pick it up in Yuma. Which makes getting the 883 even more difficult. Times getting short and my contracts almost over and I want things to go as smooth as possible. We shall see.

Dave

1 - 20 of 26 Posts