V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Small problems aside that I know I can work through with the dealer, my FLHTCI occasionally stumbles taking off from a stop and makes a quiet pop. It sometimes will do it while blipping the throttle while downshifting. Reminds me what as a teenager we called a carburetor fart...

The bike is completely warmed up and has done it repeatedly over more than one day; even three times today during and at the end of a 70-mile ride so I am certain it's not my imagination.

It can be a little disconcerting when you expect the bike to go and then does this stumble; it has even done it taking off starting a left or right hand turn; for a split second there is no real forward motion and I have almost dropped the bike as I tried to re-gain my footing, pull in the clutch and blip the throttle. And of course the vehicle immediately behind you riding your taillight from the stoplight isn't expecting you to falter either... I am watching my revs and I know that it isn't me launching the bike at low revs or letting the revs drop too much as I let out the clutch.

I have filled up twice at a Shell station that sells a lot of fuel and I am using 91 octane. The bike has 240 miles on it and runs great on the road, going up through the gears after the initial take-off and does not stumble other than at take-off or an occasional pop while blipping the throttle and downshifting.

Any thoughts on what this could be and how to best describe the problem to the dealer? Having them ride it around the block once or twice may not be enough to have the bike act up and I am not enjoying any city riding because of this...

Thanks again for all replies…

Richard

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I was under the impression we just discussed this, but maybe it was somewhere else.

While it is possible the bike may have a very minor intake leak, it is the nature of the Delphi baggers, they have a somewhat unstable idle. I believe it is due to the ECM logic that decides firing on speed changes at the flywheel as opposed to getting the signal from a cam sensor which they no longer have and being set up real lean on bottom and midrange.

It tends to mostly disappear when the bikes get some miles on them and free up a little. It is important the idle speed is set at least to spec, if not to the upper limit of spec.

In very agressive riding it is possible to fool the ECM during real quick transient maneuvers as well resulting in stumbles, you get used to it and learn to avoid it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The idle speed is 1000 rpm (varies slightly) and due to the bike being new and my riding style, I have not been aggressive with the bike at all; RPM's run 1500 - 1800 when taking off from a stop.

I went for a short run to Wal-Mart last night and the bike did it again taking off from a stoplight and when first leaving the parking lot. While this is my first H-D and I am not exactly mechanically inclined, I have had a lot of street and dirt bikes over the years and am certain there is some sort of flaw in the drivability of the bike. Once under way, I really love the way the bike rides but can not accept that this hesitation or stumble is normal.

Will take the bike in Tuesday to have it looked at... certainly open to more ideas.

Richard

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It's just something everyone seemed to notice or object to when we switched to the 02 baqggers.
Perhaps you'll have better luck then the guys around here as far as coming up with another explanation from the dealer.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Might want to ask them if they have any updated reflashes, HD sometims changes flashes in production.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've noticed the same thing with my 02' FLHRCI. My previous HD was carbed and it seemed more predictable. It happens mostly if I am treating the throttle gingerly on take-off. That is, taking off with the minimal amount of fuel/rpm's required to move the bike. That was easy to do with the carb setup as you could easily listen to the engine and throttle accordingly. With the efi, I find I need to give it excessive rpms on take-off to avoid the system from going to the Bahamas for a split second.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts