V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I can actually start and ride my bike, I noticed that the front fender light is not on. I have tried the owners manual but cannot find an off/on switch listed, though I do see a bulb listed in the manual and I can see the bulb is mounted.

I would apprecitate if someone would let me know how it works...

Thank-you
Richard

·
Registered
458 Posts
First do your directional signals light up as marker lights? If they do you have a bulb or wire problem with your light. If they don't light then check your 15 amp acceressory fuse.
But then it might all be tied in with your Ign switch not working right, as they come on with the Ign switch.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the running lights are on. In fact, all lights, turn signals, headlights, etc. are working correctly. Only the front fender light is not working or on.

I did find two different color wires hanging under the headlight that are not connected to anything nor to each other; they have different connectors so I know that they don't connect to each other.

Richard

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Might be just a bulb, but there was a recall for the wiring inside the fender. It usually takes all your lites out if it shorts, but maybe it just got pulled off or something. The lense just snaps off to check the bulb.

·
Registered
458 Posts
It would be a Orange and White wire for the hot and a black for the ground, comes out of the main harness

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Orange & white and black wires

FLHT:

I checked the two wires hanging down just underneath the fairing and above the chrome crossbar underneath the headlight; one is orange and white, the other is black, just as you suggested.

I don't readily see where they connect to but it can't be far based on the length of the wires.

Richard

·
Registered
903 Posts
Have you checked for any bubblegum holding any pieces together? I'll tell you, it sounds like your dealer threw the bike together and shipped it off to you without even checking it out. I think I would take it back to them and be like WTF! Maybe they figured you wouldn't notice the fender light being out because you wouldn't be able to turn the ignition switch to "on".

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bike was set up by my next door neighbor, who is a new employee and been there all of three weeks. His previous employer was not a H-D dealer or even a motorcycle store.

It's great to pay $21.5k and feel that someone got to practice on your bike... I don't even feel that I can complain about the setup as I expect to have it for a long time and it will be serviced by this dealer...

To top it off, even though it's fuel injected, frequently taking off from a stop it stumbles and makes a quiet pop. Reminds me what as a teenager we called a carburetor fart... has even done it while bliping the throttle down shifting. The bike it completely warmed up and has done it repeatedly so I am certain it's not my imagination.

1000 mile service sure seems like a long way away...

Richard

·
Registered
903 Posts
The fact that your neighbor set the thing up does make things a little more complicated. But I'm sure that you can take it in and get things straightened out with a little tact before the 1K service. If it is doing those things it doesn't sound healthy for it. The fact that you paid that much for it should be enough reason to say "look, I don't want to be a pain but....."

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Dunno if this'll help

M-1119 1 of 2
SERVICE BULLETIN
M-1119 Safety Recall Code 0105 January 10, 2002
FRONT FENDER TIP LAMP JUMPER HARNESS RETENTION
®
Purpose
As recently advised in ML-370, Harley-Davidson has learned
that the clips retaining the front fender tip lamp jumper harness
can become detached on certain 2001 and 2002 FLT
model motorcycles. This condition could cause the wiring to
become frayed and shorted, possibly causing the lighting
fuse to blow. A blown lighting fuse leaves the vehicle without
an operational headlight, passing lamps, front fender tip
lamp, tail lamp and running lights.
In the interest of motor vehicle safety and customer satisfaction,
Harley-Davidson has elected to initiate a voluntary recall
(Campaign 0105) to add four metal clips in the fender well,
as well as replace the existing harness if damaged. See
REQUIRED DEALER ACTION to perform the recall service.

This recall applies to all 2001 and 2002 FLT model motorcycles
equipped with a front fender tip lamp and assembled/
shipped from the York, Pennsylvania assembly plant between
March 5 and October 25, 2001, specifically, FLHR, FLHR-I,
FLHT, FLHTC, FLHTC Shrine, FLHTC-I, FLHTCU-I,
FLHTCU-I Shrine, FLHP-I, FLHPE-I and FLHTP-I.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I work for a Mack truck dealer" for over 22 years" so I should know a little about new stuff not being right.
Take the bike back and ***** up a storm. If they try putting you off ask for the phone number of there district rep. I'm sure he'd be realy interested in how one of his dealers is shoving bikes out the door with out preping them right .
The factory pays them to prep. them and do it right the first time.
If you let them screw with you now your in for a long hard ride with them.
Someone isn't doing there job if its up to the newbe to prep and ok the bike to go :mad:
Sounds like a stealer not a good dealer to me. :rolleyes:
Bet Milwaukee would be real proud of them too.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Boy I would go into that dealer and calmly explain your problems, I agree with FLHT I am sure Harley does not like this type of service if you can call it that. You can also call Harley customer service direct, I think you can get the number off their web site, just don't tell them if you have put any pipes etc on the bike, they could red flag your vin number. Around here dealers bend over backwards to help you, I think that is because there are 4 or 5 dealers within 50 miles of where I live. safe riding rick poco

·
Registered
903 Posts
Yeah the same thing here... I have the choice of literally 6 dealers I could go to and most of them go out of the way for you (one acted like they were the ONLY dealer and so I don't use them anymore). Definately go in there and at least let them know whats wrong with the bike, I think you'll be suprised how cooperative they are with you. If they aren't, then call to speak with a Harley-Davidson customer service representative: call (414) 343-4056.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts