V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope I got the correct forum here. manual states to move switch to acc., use flat screw driver under left side and depress release tab, turn key to left and it should rotate an additiona 60 degrees when doing so. Not... Maybe I am depressing the incorrect item. There is a small tab under the switch that appears to be spring loaded.

I spent most of today trying to get this switch off so I can service my fork oil. Any tips? Thanks

·
repeat offender
691 Posts
Hey Rusty, hopefully you will not have the same difficulty putting it back in. I had some notes written somewhere but I cant locate them. Basically, if you fiddled with the switch position or the fork lock while you had the switch mechanism out, you can use a medium to large sized flat bladed screwdriver to go in the hole and re-position the lock. I believe you want the slots to be aligned with 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock, when viewed from above (like this: / )

Then put the lock back in with the key still in it and turned the extra 60º. Now this is where I kept screwing up... if the lock goes all the way in and bottoms out, you're in luck. Hold it in and turn the key (not the switch yet)back to it's normal position and then let up on the lock, it should pop up a little and then stay, right in the regular spot for the forks being locked. I kept pushing it in and expecting it to catch, forgetting that I still had the key turned. Man I wasted a bunch of time on that.

Good Luck

Edited: I had the alignment wrong, it is corrected above.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I had to pull mine today and was worried about getting it back on (it came off in about 10 seconds) but lo and behold it went on just as fast as it came off. I guess it pays not to mess with it once you have it off. I am glad I saw this thread before messing with it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes this site is a great help. Everyone is a great help and short of changing my own fork oil on my '02 FLHTC I have found assistance with everything. Dropped bike off at a local shop and having them do this change. I just got paranoid when reading about the cartridge in the left fork and need the ride to be perfect for biketoberfest next month.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
rustyrun said:
Yes this site is a great help. Everyone is a great help and short of changing my own fork oil on my '02 FLHTC I have found assistance with everything. Dropped bike off at a local shop and having them do this change. I just got paranoid when reading about the cartridge in the left fork and need the ride to be perfect for biketoberfest next month.
I pulled the stock forks with the cartridge and replaced them with a set of new 06 forks. I figured that in the future it was worth the $377 for the new forks as now I can easily change the fork oil. My dealer wanted around $250 to change the 04's fork oil so by the time I change it again I will be money ahead and besides now I won't wait until 50,000 miles to change it. It was a piece of cake changing them out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts