V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 FLHT standard (black)
What mods have members done in the rideabilty and looks department.

I have always thought that a bagger could look sporty, and HD built the street glide, so I would like to make my standard more like the street glide, what should I change?

Thanks Tom

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I would suggest AC, jetting, and pipes. Will run better, IMO.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
8-ball, like the passing lamps. But then I looked at price for the kit $280. Don't like it that much. Besides sometimes I need a push and bar is good for that.

Nice looking bike. Maybe should chrome inner primary would look good. They also sell bolt on covers too.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
SJBUSHI said:
Hey 8 Ball , what air cleaner is that you are using ??
D&M Custom Cycles with the Cast Manifold rebreather.

berserker said:
8-ball, like the passing lamps. But then I looked at price for the kit $280. Don't like it that much. Besides sometimes I need a push and bar is good for that.

Nice looking bike. Maybe should chrome inner primary would look good. They also sell bolt on covers too.
Yeah... that thing was ridiculous and then I had to throw away the passing buckets and buy the Kuryakyn bullets to boot. I like it tho' and it gives me the light the Custom lacked.

I'm done with the chrome... now I am on to blacking some stuff out. Did all the engine bolts now in black and like it much better. I acually like the black engine and black cables and black controls, etc.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I would start with the seat as it overpowers the bike with no tourpac. Then move on to the exhaust. Then a shorter windsheild. That will totally change the look of the bike.......But the most important part RADIO!!!you will not regret it.. then...then...then....then....oh man it never ends

·
N.R.A.
772 Posts
TXCHOP said:
I would start with the seat as it overpowers the bike with no tourpac. Then move on to the exhaust. Then a shorter windsheild. That will totally change the look of the bike.......But the most important part RADIO!!!you will not regret it.. then...then...then....then....oh man it never ends
I agree. Change the seat first. The short windshield (which I have) makes a big difference in the looks but I am not sure I am too happy with the "wind in the face". Fairing mount mirrors also change the looks and are rather inexpensive. Some like 'em some don't. I like them. Personally I think changing the turn signals also makes a big difference.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Solo seat with a clean back fender and a removable passenger pillion slims the bike down and looks much sportier.

Removal of the rear bar and license plate bracket and replacing a laydown tailight and relocated license plate also helps alot.

Lower the rear shocks 1" by either replacing them with Ps 440's or using blocks gives a good sporty stance.

I did the 4" black windshield, went for one ride and realized that I had wasted my money. Went with a 9 3/4" winshield and got the sporty look with much better performance out on the highway in terms of wind buffering.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Yes it lowered in the rear with progressives. I have the h-d kit for the front sitting in the garage waiting for black lower legs to come when i get some time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I also agree on the stock seat looking out of place on the standard. Anyone have any recommendations for a slick looking seat that will be any where near as comfortable as the bigger seat? I know it's sort of a trade off. I've been thinking about trying a road glide seat on mine.

coal_man

·
N.R.A.
772 Posts
coal_man said:
I also agree on the stock seat looking out of place on the standard. Anyone have any recommendations for a slick looking seat that will be any where near as comfortable as the bigger seat? I know it's sort of a trade off. I've been thinking about trying a road glide seat on mine.

coal_man
I think you would be happy with either a Mustang or Corbin. They use better quality foam so they are actually more comfortable than stock.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I put the Badlander seat (HD #52066-97A - $199.95) on my 02 FLHT. Its made for a roadking and doesnt go up the tank like a motocross bike. It fits the same as stock with no alterations needed, EXECPT you must add (HD #52447-96 - $24.95) trim piece for FLHT. I sh*tcanned the stock seat the day I broght the bike home Those are HarleyDavidson Part numbers.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
2000 FLHT. HD backrest. King tour pack. Tour pack trunk rack. Tour pack quick detach mounting system. Kuryakin highway pegs. 9" windshield cut down 1 3/4". HD Nostalgia handgrips. Eurocomponents easy clutch. HD battery tender. Rear crash guard storage bags with the one on the left carrying a water bottle. Fairing storage pouch. Drag Specialties trunk rack mount duffle bag. Numerous engine mods but I don't think that is what you are asking.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
I'll be posting pics and a list of mods in about a month. She's all torn down for upgrades at the moment.

·
Registered
164 Posts
With my standard I was more concerned with having a comfy, long haul touring bike than a cool looking one. My 2000 came with a Tour Pak, I added Hot Grips heated grips (love 'em!), a 9.5" windshield, HD adjustable backrest, EZ clutch, and did a 95" with cams, ignition, SE air cleaner, and mufflers from a SERK. The seat is pretty bagged so I'm trying an Airhawk cushion before changing the seat. The wife loves the stock seat as is.
I'm really happy with my bike now, and don't intend to replace it until HD gets the V-Rod motor into a bagger, then we'll see.

·
Registered
51 Posts
coal_man said:

coal_man
I really like the look of the Corbin Rumble Seat

·
Registered
35 Posts
coal_man said:

coal_man

I put a Sundowner on mine - more comfortable for me and I gained about 1" leg room (6'3"). My Bride also likes it better for passenger comfort as well?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
well the bike is 4 years old...may be time for some paint...leave it black...ghost in some flames...or whatever turns your crank...some simple graphics to make it stand out...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts