V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get another bike next summer and just checking around. Will be keeping the Sportster for getting around in town, but would like something a little more suitable for the longer trips on the highway. Hearing pro's and con's on several boards to help in the decision.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
That's a decision only you can make. All the touring bikes are very much alike in one way, but they all have their own character traits.
The RoadKing is the most versatile as far as being able to change configuration quickly, the FLHTCUI is the best in cold weather, and the FLTR is the best high speed long distance bike among the FL's.
On the other side equipping a Road King with ALL the detachables and other stuff to make it comparable to one of the others for all weather long distance touring will cost a pretty penny.
Maybe having a second bike for around town will allow you to lean more towards a pure touring bike.
The FLHT is by far the best buy in the HD lineup, but only if you ride it pretty much as it is. Once you add all the equipment to make it into an FLHTC or U the cost usually is the same or more.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I have to agree with Hippo. One of the best points made is the fact that you are keeping the bar hopper. With that in mind, while the decision is yours, by way of opinion, I would go for an Ultra or Ultra Classic.

I did not see in your post where the issue came down to money and if that is not a factor, The Classic would be my choice.

I don't have a bar hopper so my FLHRCI is perfect for me. I can yank the windshield and hop around town just fine on it. If I need it for a longer trip then the luggage rack will hold a duffel bag just fine. Along with the two saddlebags, I can carry any tool I would need as well as whatever gear I am taking. I made a weekend trip from Houston to El Reno Ok earlier in the year and had all I needed to carry anmd could have kept going except we ran out of weekend.

The RoadKing is pretty easy to work on. Most everything is accessible in the event of a breakdown. The bike is also extremely easy to keep clean by design. The Tour Pack gizmo is around $800 and gives you pretty much the same luggage space as The Ultra. It quickly Pops off when not in use.

Some folks like the option of being able to convert from long haule touring to around town putts. That is an option on The King that the Ultra will not afford you.

So bottom line, it is what you want out of the bike that must make the final decision. Your Harley is like your woman. Only you can decide what ya love.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Bikes are a lot like women. Everyone thinks they got the best and cheap isn't usually better! Your question goes to a lot of personal preference. Both are great bikes. I view the FLHT as more of a longer riding sort of machine (and it's set up that way). IMHO the Road King is a beautiful piece of machinery but designed for shorter rides and is a bit showier than the Electra Glide. Ride safe and far.

JIM 2000 FLHTC (not that I'm prejudice or anything!)

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
pasadenajim said:

JIM 2000 FLHTC (not that I'm prejudice or anything!)

Prejudice? Good Lord Jim, we know there is no way for that to happen here!

JIMMYK Y2KFLHRCI :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Road King offers a lot of flexability. And with elephant ears on the engine bars its not a bad winter ride. But a radio would be nice.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Have owned 2 Sporsters, a Heritage, and now a RoadKing (Classic) . I like you asked loads of questions on the Touring side of Harleys and seemed to always get the same answers from owners and wrenches.... The Roadking is the best highway bike, cruiser, showbike, customizer, dependable, maintenance friendly, re-sale Harley of the group.. Ultra was going to be my new bike till I talked with all the Ultra owners in my area who told me they have their regrets.... Ultra's although nice bikes are what they call "Cookie Cutter" designed machines... Difficult to personalize.... Undernieth all the farrings is an odd shaped fram, ugly front fork and tree... etc. etc. etc.. Now for the RoadKing.... Name says it all... Rode the Ultra (classic).... then the Roadking (classic) Pretty much the same in overall comfort but... for me the Roadking feels like more of a cruiser and highway bullet then the Ultra group.. Don't let me steer you in the wrong direction... Ultra is a great bike.... for consertitive riders who are happy with just cleaning and riding, touring... a bike that will get you from place to place.... Roadking is a cruiser/touring/highway head turner....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I debated this same issue for the past six months. I finally decided on a Pearl White 2002 FLHRCI. I chose it for it's flexibilty and the fact that every owner of a Road King that I spoke with had nothing but good things to say about them. I'll let you know more when the weather here in Michigan breaks and I can get out and get a couple more miles on it.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
They are all good points, and anyone that can make up his mind is a better man then me, and I have been going back and forth from the RK to the faired bikes.
After a number of years I have come to the conclusion that it's pretty much a wash for me, and the only way to be totally happy is to have them both.
As stated the RK on the surface might be the way to go, but contrary to what many believe (that the faired bikes are for older people) if you ever go on long trips with a few good fast riders, you will see the value of the faired bikes. There is no question that you will be able to keep up if you can ride, but while it is a fight with a smaller bike at the end of the day, the faired bikes on the long run, when fatigue from the elements had time to creep in, are much more effortless to ride fast, and after a couple of days it starts to add up. While it is not a everyday ocurrence, it is in the end what I live for.

The downside of the faired bikes, is the potential of significantly higher cost in the long run, as they are much more susceptible to expensive damage from minor things and malfunctions in their auxiliary systems that can be either expensive or time consuming to repair.

If one could just get these priorities worked out, the decision would be easy. I decided that I need to win the lottery.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hippo.... YOu have good points to be considered and it sounds like to me you are an ULTRA fan.... Nothing wrong with that.... Long trips and fatigue have happened to us all no matter what you ride... A Harley in full dress like the Ultra is a sharp looking highway bike in deed.. But, on the long fast trips.... and if that was my sincer total interest... I would be on a Honda Goldwing! Not downgrading the Harley but the Honda Goldwing is the ultimate highway ride..... In my opnion, all plastic and not much to look at as a fine machine like a Harley but at highway speeds, who's looking?! Cross-country rides on a Harley are usually far in between rides... Most Harley riders venture only about 150 miles away from home.... Roadkings handle that well as would the Ultra's... guess it really boils down to personal preference and of course comfort combined with age... If my age were to really be considered, I would be driving a Caddy across country..:cool:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
We are pretty much saying the same thing with different words, and it is quite possible that I may be going back to a RoadKing, despite knowing full well that I will miss the FLTRI on long trips.

The only disagreement is in the choice of bike other then a Harley. The new wings are very good bikes and can be had for a song these days, but they are not me, a personality conflict if you wish. I would go with a R1150RT any day, if it became impossible to ride a Harley.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's a shame we can't own a garage full of Harley's.... I'm not rich... Just a working stiff... If I could, I would own one of each and have a different ride each day of the week and then some.... See you on the road some day possibly!! Best wishes.. Doug

·
Registered
6 Posts
RK or FLHT

I assume you are referring to the FLHT Standard compared to an RK. I just went through this decision, and I ordered a 2002 FLHT Standard for a few reasons. Price was a big consideration for me. The $14,000 MSRP really got me interested. When I actually saw a Standard, I was impressed with the looks. Basic black never looked better. I love the protection of a fairing, and I like the opportunity to add a radio later. A RKC was about $3000.00 to $4000.00 more, and I just could not justify the difference. I also don't like wire wheels, and I prefer the hard bags. With some of the money I saved, I bought VH pipes, an SE air filter, and a carb rejet upon delivery in March. I just don't see many Standards, and I was very impressed with the looks of it. Maybe I've seen too many Rks on the road. Maybe I 'm just cheap. Either way, comparing looks side to side at the dealership, I picked the one I like better.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Great comments everyone...

I have always been confused about the price difference though.
There are more "things" on the FLHT. Can someone tell me why
it is the RK is more money than the FLHT? Supply/ demand?

Regards, ibrowse-

·
Ridin' with the King
1,352 Posts
Interesting thread. As a current RK owner and soon to be FLHTCI owner I can say that I absolutely love the RK and if I couldn't have any other bike this would do it for me. What I am expecting in the Electra Classic is everything that I love about the Rod King plus the 3 things that I would like to have - fairing: for better protection from the elements (i.e. bad weather), radio: because I love music and previaously had a BMW touring bike with a radio and it I miss it, and a Tour Pak: because I like to carry more stuff than I probably should and it makes commuting a bit easier if I choose to do so. Of course, those are things I can live without and to get them I will have to give up the ability of the RK to "strip-down". In my case, I always run with a windshield and bags. Been doing it like this for more than 20 years so that is not a issue for me. Plus, with the deal I am getting on an '04 FLHTCI with the 2 year warranty and all it is very hard to turn down especially since they are willing to trade me almost straight across for my '03 RK. All FLH's have great resale where I live and it is just a matter of what flips your switch. As for me, I like to ride and would like to ride longer and farther than 200 or 300 miles so a true tourer is the ticket for me. At the end iof the day it is going to be hard to give up my RK because we have definitely "bonded" but I look forward to getting everything I love about my "Road Dawg" and that much more from the dresser. We shall know soon enough as it will be here in 2 weeks. :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hippo did a great summary. I started out with a sportster, traded it to a heritage soft tail classic (which eventually went to my wife) and we added a road king classic to the fleet.
After a season on the king, we traded the heritage, kept the king and I bought a "lightly used", fully loaded electra glide classic.
Couple of things:
1) really glad we were in a position to rationalize keeping the king - it is an amazing bike, and I get a real rush every time I take it out. I should add that it is pretty loaded, so works well for our numerous distance runs - we added a tour pak, stage 1, pipes, and touches of chrome that have people looking and talking EVERYWHERE we go.
2) the previous owner of the glide added pipes, stage 1, power commander, cruise, lowers, detachable kit to the tour pak and bags and a lot of chrome, I added rear speakers, a 70 watt upgrade kit and upgraded the front speakers. Over the winter I'm upgrading the stereo system to handle cb and cd - whoever says the glides can't be dressed up is wrong - I think it just takes more bucks to get them to show off. However, it's fair to say that the KIng looks the part when it's decked out.
3) between the two bikes, if I'm taking a short hop or going into town, I will take the King. As soon as I'm running the highway, going on a longer trip etc., I'm on the Glide. They are both more than capable of either task, but the e. glide is definitely a more comfortable bike on the highway, and I enjoy the added comfort and protection it affords.
4) If the e. glide hadn't had all of the work done on it that it has, I would have gone to an ultra.

Being able to keep your first ride gives you a great opportunity to go for the biggest bagger you can afford.

Enjoy! And ride safe.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey BigG,
how about posting a couple of photos of your scooters to this thread?

Regards, ibrowse-

1 - 20 of 21 Posts