V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Just purchased a 2002 FLHT Electra Glide Standard and would appreciate any feedback on slipon mufflers, or any exhausts.
Does anyone have any experience with Kerker slipons? Are they equal in sound and performance to Screaming Eagles?
What other slipons are available?
Previously owned a Lowrider with V&H Shortshots,
Del

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hey lowrider, welcome to the forum.

I'm running V/H Slashcuts on my FLHT. They are much louder than stock, but not too loud. I'd suggest that you use the search feature using "FLHT" to find out what folks have to say about this bike.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hey Lowrider.
I have a 2001 FLHT with V&H basic slip ons. They sound great and no rejet was needed. I am leaning on replacing the whole exhaust system with Hookers new true dual system. I'm sure I'll have to install a stage 1 and rejet after that though. Good luck and let us know what you do

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am running White Bros E Series slip-on with a PC IIIr and a Ness Sucker. I wanted a slip on that wasn't too loud but had a lil bite to it and it does. I like the beefier look it gave my bagger but others don't like the baffle plate system.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Lowrider,
I'm running Kerker slip-ons on my '02 FLHT and like 'em. I think they're like the SE performance 2 piece mufflers, from all I've heard. (They use the same endcaps, as well.) With 15000 miles on them, I think the right is getting a bit louder, so I'm planning to switch the left and right soon. After that, will re-pack when louder again. Everyone I ride with says they are not too loud, not too quiet, and sound good.
Good rides,
Don

·
Registered
61 Posts
alremc said:
I am running White Bros E Series slip-on with a PC IIIr and a Ness Sucker. I wanted a slip on that wasn't too loud but had a lil bite to it and it does. I like the beefier look it gave my bagger but others don't like the baffle plate system.
I've really been interested in these slip ons. How many disks do you run?Do you run a solid disk on the left side so the sytem acts more like a 2 into 1? Also, how do you like the quality i.e. craftsmanship, chrome, etc.
I've been told the e-series are the ticket for a F.I. bike. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rainrider,
Thanks for the info, I have an opportunity to buy a set of Kerker slip ons but never heard them in action,
What end caps do you use?
What are SE?
What does the the repacking proccess intail?
Thanks in advance,
Del

·
Registered
48 Posts
fxstser,
I went with the recommended 12 discs on the right and 4 on the left. The four acts like the same as the OEM. I have read Hippo mention running a solid plate on the left but have not tried it yet. I am thinking 97% of the exhaust goes out the right anyway coz that left side is cool to the touch when the right is cooking. So far the quality of the material has been great and install was simple andd it fit good. The sound is just right for my taste,not too loud but not too soft. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
61 Posts
alremc,
I've got a FLHRCI coming in October and I'm doing my planning ahead of time. I think these slip ons are one of the first mods on my list. Thanks, I appreciate the info!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lowrider,

I think RainRider is correct. It's my understanding that the SE 2-piece performance pipes are the same as the Kerker pipes. The baffle is the same and the end-caps you buy at the HD dealer are marked as "Kerker" end-caps on the box label. That doesn't mean they're manufactured by Kerker but it sure looks like it.

I have the SE 2-piece perf. pipes on my 2001 RoadKing Classic. I like them a lot. I also have the Stage 1 kit installed. Nice thing about the SE 2-piece perf. pipes is that the baffles are removable and you can remove some (or all) of the fiberglass wrap to 'adjust' the sound to your liking.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
sorry about late reply

Hey lowrider,
Sorry about not getting back to you earlier. I've only recently learned how to use the "check post with new messages" feature.
I've also recently enabled the email notice when someone post to a thread I've posted to, so maybe now I'll not be so tardy.

And thanks to dawalta for addressing this.

I use the slash cut (mounted so short edge is down), 4 inch long. The longer (6 inch I think) sticks out too far in my opinion. I've banged my shin on the top edge of these 4 inchers too many times. Haven't done it in a while, so guess I've conditioned myself to give the back end a bit more space. There are some nice looking Harley billet ends (pricey) that are a bit shorter I'd like to put on, but not so much that I'm willing to shell out the extra bucks for them, and they have a bit of a curved in look along with the slash cut. I'm not too sure I like the "curved in" look. (a small reduction in diameter toward the rear)
You probably already know by now that SE = Screaming Eagle, a Harley logo.
Though I've never done a slip-on repack yet, I hear that it's a matter of taking the 3 end-cap screws out, and pulling the baffle. Guess from there it's following the instructions on the kit?? I have heard that there's different quality repack materials out there, but not having to do it yet, I haven't checked it out.
I recently switched the left and right mufflers (17000 miles) - the left is not used as much as the right - and they are a little bit quieter again, but still loud enough. The switch also hid a small ding I had in the previously right muffler - put it to the inside of the left side.
Rode a Softail Heritage loaner with SE (1 piece) slip ons today. Don't know if they sound like the 1 piece SEs for baggers, but I did not like their sound nearly as well as the Kerkers.
Still happy with the Kerkers, and their sound. The (previously) right did turn a bit gold, but to me, that's normal for pipes to change colors a bit. Probably a 4300 mile trip out west with a lot of expressway riding was at a slightly lean condition. (didn't want to richen mixture for lower levels, knowing I was going to be up in the 12000 ft. range in the mountains) Now I've shimmed the needle up a bit, so the gold might not be there had I done that before the trip.
Good rides,
Don '02 FLHT

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rainrider,
Thanks for getting back to me,
I've had the opportunity to ride with and listen to a couple of bikes with the Kerkers and short Slashcut Harley tips, To me they do sound better than the SEs, More rumble than tinney snarl, I would recomend them.
BTW I have been told By a H-D dealer that Kerker manufactured H-D mufflers till recently, forgot who he said makes them now.
Got the mufflers but the Short Slashcuts are on back order from H-D!
Thanks again,
Del

·
Registered
206 Posts
Lowrider,
Check out Khrome Werks HP+ Lite Touring Mufflers. They have a nice low, bass tone, and NOT too loud to hear the Radio, etc.

I have the KW HP-Plus 100's, and they are the louder muff, supposed to be good for large (103 CI) motors too. They say they are too loud to hear the tunes, but I can still listen to the music (have the HP H-D Amp & Speakers too, though).

www.khromewerks.com

Go to "New Products", and scroll bout half way down...

·
Registered
686 Posts
lowrider I have an 02 flht and put on kerker slip ons, also had rejet and se high flow kit installed, when at idle not real loud but loud when opened up . I like them. I would say it is in between stock and something like sampson open pipes. A buddy has sampsons with megaphone ends way too loud for me even at idle, I will not ride next to him or behind him and I wear ear plugs. Also have tapered end caps on the kerker pipes I believe you can get other styles. I read what rain rider said about the right pipe getting louder, I put on 500 miles yesterday, went up to Tomahawk, and I thought my bike sounded louder at highway speeds that would explain that. saferiding rickpoco

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Lowrider,
I have a 2002 flht with the 1550 kit and all the goodies. I went with the slash cut SE pipes. I like the pipes but they are a little too loud for my taste. I usually either wear earplugs or my 3/4 helmet and that cuts the noise down to a tolerable level. The FLHT is a sweet ride and has tons of potential for tinkering.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts