V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, Just wanted to share this bit of info with you all. I'm sure it is old news but my results were so dramatic that I felt I had to share it.
I am riding a 2001 FLHT, have the SE air cleaner and 45 jet. Pipes are Cycle Shack fish-tail slip-on's... I have been living with bad popping on decel for as long as they have been installed. An (HD) old timer that I ride with moans and complains about it everytime he is behind me. Last night he said enough is enough... he layed down on the ground, removed the bolt that secures the baffle to the muffler housing (self-tapping 1/4" x 1/2")... just the right side muffler, the "hot" side he says.... he walks back to his old FLHS digs around in his saddle back and comes back with a 2 1/2" x 1/4" self tapping bolt, threads it into place and says there, it's fixed... I couldn't believe it... 95% of the decel pop is gone... I stuck a flashlight in the back of the pipe and can see the bolt rising up into the path of the exhaust gases.. it must create just enough back pressure or something... anyway, now I have to drill out the slug for the mixture adjustment and tweak it... I can't believe it was that easy.. hope it works for others...
Dave

·
Registered
45 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I kinda like an occasional pop on decel.:D . But, still a nice tip to get rid of it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
believe it or not by doing this trick to both side if you have them with the larger diameter longer bolt probably increase you 3 to 7 horsies too thank your bro there are still a few of us lifer riders around that had to (and still do things) the old fashioned way cheap simple and workable

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks for the tip Dave - that's something to put in the back of your brain for use someday.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Good approach for any with removable baffles. For those that don't have removable baffles thus no self-threading bolt, I just drill a 5/16" hole on the inside of the muffler at about a 45 degree angle to bottom. The hole goes right at the end of the baffle. Then mount a 5/16" bolt that is long enough to end right in the middle of the airflow. Put a nut on the inside of the muffler, then a lock washer and nut on the outside. Works the same way. Was always a decent approach to using drag pipes which was all I could afford way back when.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts