V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my front pads on my 2001 flht and all seemed to go well however the brake lever seems quite hard now. Is this normal until the pads get a few miles on them and they seat in? road tested the bike and it stops well but the hard lever caught my attention. any one have any input i would really appreciate it this was my first brake job on a harley, done *** bikes many times before but these were all single disc setups.

Thanks,MRSIPY...Bob

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Hard to say, but if you did not open the hydraulics I would wager it's normal.

The brake lever gets mushy over time on these bikes, and fully retracting the pistons and pumping them out, like you would be doing when replacing pads, usually firms the lever up. The mushy lever is actually the abnormal condition.
Something to do with DOT5 fluid absorbing nitrogen from the air. Retracting the pistons is almost like a bleeding of sorts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hippo, did the rear pads last week and that went on witout a hitch I figured that the hard lever was nothing to worry about but had to ask anyway. Wife has a new sportster and that lever is firm but not as hard but there are 2000 mile on the pads.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Mine was doing the exact OPPOSITE!
Had to install a 'Master Cylinder' repair kit in mine. # 45072-96
Brakes were fine, bleeding etc went normal.
But the return spring 'inside' the front master cylinder didn't push the lever out far enough to turn the stop light off properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts