V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help, I have a 2001 FLHRI with 22,000 mi. On my last trip whenever I would stop an turn it off, when go to start and take off it misses seems to run on out of gas for a moment then picks up again. That was at first, on the way back it never smoothed out . Out of gear is OK, but in gear cuts out and miss fires barely any throttle at all then lugs down. Any help at all is greaty app. . Is there another fuel filter at bottom of fuel pump, small sock, that could have pulged.

THANKS
ZZLOC

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
There are two fuel filters in the tank, a regular fuel filter that is replaceable and a sock that on late bikes is part of the pump. Takes 5 minutes to check fuel pressure to see what is going on here. This is elementary and even a small split in one of the internal fuel hoses will drop fuel pressure to little or nothing.

It's strange that the bike seems OK in neutral and acts up under load in gear. One difference is that under load the powertrain will shift some. Just as an example, when the powertrain moves the plug wires that for the most part are hidden under the tank are stressed differently. This applies to other harnesses and connectors also. This would be the next thing to look at other then replacing plugs.

Since you did not mention what if any modifications the bike has and who has had his little hands in there, and there is no mention of an engine lite coming on that's all I can suggest for now.

Might also want to check charging and battery voltages just in case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts