V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

Have 2005 Road King Classic with 10K miles on it now. Rubber looks pretty good at this point. I'm heading to Tennessee on a trip in a couple months & am debating whether or not to put a back tire on before the trip.

2 Questions: How many miles do most of you get out of a rear tire? I ride very conservative and never roast them.

Also, I want to stick with the whitewalls, what brand is the best all around? Should I just stick with the stock ones?

All help appreciated....

Thx,

Don

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Seems like the stock is treating you pretty well.

I get on the throttle hard from light to light and do take it over 100 when the opportunity arises. I got about 7,500 out of my rear. The front still looks like new.

I was told by the tech that 5k - 10k is usual with an occasional mutant tire that will go up to 15k. My brother in law told me that the more time you spend above 80 mph, the quicker the tire is going to go.

I switched to a Metzler ME880 in a 150mm width. The looks is so much better and the ride far more comfortable. Check my link for a pic. I also have written up the specifics on the tire swap there.

From what I hear, Dunlop is harder and longer lived while the Metzler is softer and doesn't last as long. The Met grips the road a bit better in the turns.

·
Seasoned Rider
547 Posts
dforeid said:
Folks,

Have 2005 Road King Classic with 10K miles on it now. Rubber looks pretty good at this point. I'm heading to Tennessee on a trip in a couple months & am debating whether or not to put a back tire on before the trip.

Don
Stick with the stock tires because you are doing something right based on your mileage. Replace it before your trip. You'll enjoy the TN twisties a lot more and have a safer ride home.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I'll likely be in the minority here. I've been using the Dunlops for the past 57k on my RKC. I get 11-12k outta rears and got 39k outta of the first front one. I like them and can't beat the price. Up until a few months ago, a local dealer was selling WWW 402s for 99 bucks each.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
8,000 to 12,000 miles on rear stock Dunlops is about the norm. I usually change the rear tire closer to the 8K mark.
Without a doubt, I would replace the rear tire before the trip, and stick with the stock Dunlops.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all who replied. My insticts seem to match your advice, so I will stick with the stockers and definately pop a new one on before the trip.

You folks are great!!!!

Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts