V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Itch'in to go
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any 5'7" tall riders out there ?, just changed from a 91 fatboy to '01 FLHRCI don't feel as confident due to height and handlebar differences, curious of any changes others may have made to rectify such; bars - seat - suspension dropped ?

Cheers

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
FLHTCUI '03

AL-CI,
I am sure your comfort level will increase. I'm 5'7" about 160lbs and move to the Ultra from a '83 Superglide and '90 Lowrider. I haven't made any changes fromthe stock setup or bar adjustments. I realized that, other than parking, I was letting the extra equipment intimidate me. Once past that, I ride it basically like the others. Now granted, my feet are not flat on the ground, not both at once anyway, but the balance of the machine makes that a non issue.

I am sure some of the great guys on this board will offer advise on some of the changes you can make. I hope this bit of encouragemnet works for ya. Enjoy the ride!

·
Just bad
698 Posts
I've been eyeing a Mustang wide touring seat mainly for the OL comfort factor but the more I ride the more my own back says the rider section sucks too. Mustang claims a narrower front section making it easier to plant your feet. Since I don't have it yet I can't give a first hand report. I have seen other aftermarket seats claim lower saddle height as well. The first thing you could do is run the air shocks at zero pressure. I run 20 psi which is ideal when riding 2-up with my wife (neither of us are anorexic) to soften the bumps. When riding solo the ride is a bit firm but the seat is a little higher - not a problem for me since I am 6'0" but could get you at 5'7" a little closer to the ground. It might sound stupid but another thing would be to get some thick soled boots. My favorite shoes for riding are my Doc Martins, and with 1" thick soles and good ankle support they are more comfortable when stopped in traffic than tennis shoes.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm much taller than you, 5'7&1/2. I've got the touring pull back bars, Mustang seat with backrest. Great combination for all day riding.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I installed riser on stock FLHR handlebar. Much more ergonomic position because it brings the handlebar closer to the rider and a bit higher. By pivoting the grid a little bit down the arms are not stretched as much as the factory set up and it is much more confortable and natural for maneuvring and long ride. I am 6'2" and I see a difference. Will be even better for shorter fellow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm almost 5'7 and I was thinking about the HD lowering kit for my 02 RKC, the 2003 catalog has a picture of the 03 Screaming Eagle Rk with the lowering kit. It looks really good! Just was wondering if the ride would be OK and if would really lower the bike for my height. Just a thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts