V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change out my 2003 stock gas tank,fenders,bags,side panels for a set that I can have custom painted. My question is:

Does anyone know what years (going back) will fit a 2003 model?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Check the part # of the 03 tank and the suffix will tell you how far back they exchange.

If the bike is carb it goes quite a ways back, maybe to 97 or so. If it is EFI I think there were some changes somewhere in 01.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If the part# is xxxxx-xx the second set of x's is the year the part was first used.
If after the second set of x's there is a -a or -b it indicates some sort of small revision. Most of the time the part will still fit but you have to decide if you want it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If you have efi, 2000 on will work. I bought a perfect tank on e bay for $187 (police white), for the same reason as you. There is cuurently an auction on E bay for the complete sheetmetal off of an 03 road king, search for "harley davidson sheet metal".

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here is an aftermarket option. Supposed to be made by Independent Gas Tank Company to a Drag Specialties spec

2" longer than a stock tank, without any weld-on "tips", same 5 gal capacity.

CUSTOM GAS TANK FOR FLT MODELS

http://fatbook.dragspecialties.com/

P/N DESC
DS-391359 For 97-02 models, screw-in cap style
DS-391362 For 97-02 models, Aero cap style
DS-391358 For 89-96 models, screw-in cap style
DS-391360 For 89-96 models, Aero cap style

Prices range from $300 to over $500 for the raw tank depending which model, and where you purchase.

I am looking at this because I want to stretch my tank, but can't stand the idea of bondo between my legs.

Anybody tried this yet?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
With a carb you should be OK, it is a good idea to get the parts book for your bike as they not only show the part#'s but also have cutaway drawings that show the order of assembly of all the small parts much better then the FM's. If you don't want to buy the parts book for any reason I never had a problem walking into a dealer and ask them to see theirs to look up my own parts.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It saves you a enormous amount of time with any project as you can check availability of little parts at dealers over the phone and only costs about 30 or 40 bucks. You save that much just in gas.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Off a 2000 FLT Parts manual.

Gas tank part# is 61225-98

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Probably breaking US patent laws (can't reprint without permission blablablablabla. The MoCo will have the Queen's ass (LOL).

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
gbenner said:
If you have efi, 2000 on will work. I bought a perfect tank on e bay for $187 (police white), for the same reason as you. There is cuurently an auction on E bay for the complete sheetmetal off of an 03 road king, search for "harley davidson sheet metal".
Greg,

I searched as instructed, the only auction returned was for the sheet metal from an '03 Deuce (FXSTD)

wyo

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Wyo, not sure when you checked, I think that auction finished a couple of days ago. If you are looking for a road king efi tank and keep checking e bay (use the notification command) i have seen 2 or 3 in the last couple months. They seem to sell for 175-225 depending on how new, etal. (I believe 2000 up are the same). If you are looking for a efi tank for a glide (no guage on tank), I have one, let me know.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
BikerJo said:
I'm looking for a carbureted gas tank...efi won't work for me
Fuel Tank-Carbureted
Gas tank part# is 61225-98 Fual Tank-(Prime) I take that to mean 'Not' Painted.

That IS the number for a carbed tank.
Taken from my parts Manual, 2000FLT Models.

If its the same number for an 03, you can use ALL
the way back to 98.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey thanks for the info Harleyhog......I think I'll order the parts manul for 2003 touring models. Again...I appreciate your help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts