V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
WTF?
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2005 FLHPI and am getting acquainted with it. I noticed two orange wires behind the headlight that are taped off. Can anybody tell me what those are for? Also, has anybody changed out the handle bar switches to civilian ones? How muchand how hard? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
change switches

I've done the switch on an 01 RK. It was easy enough if you can read a wiring diagram. The OEM wiring has a larger number of connectors in the Deutsch connectors. So you end up having to take the old and the new units apart. You disassemble the wires from the packard connectors on the OEM switches. Then match the colors from the new switches into the old connector.

It just takes time and patience.

I think I paid around $ 100 for the new units on e-bay. The dealer quoted me more like $ 200 for the set.

But before you jump into this spend the money for the manual on the police bike. The wiring is completely different from the civilian. Without a diagram you're sure to get into trouble. And you'll be happy to have the diagram in the future.

Once you get a manual you'll figure out the two unknown wires. From the factory the police bike seem to come prewired for ever possible combination of lights.

·
WTF?
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
change switches

Thanks for the heads up. Did you actually have to cut and solder the wires together? Or was it unplug and plug? I just despise the red buttons. I love the bike, though. I wanted to do this in conjunction with a handle bar change.

·
Hockey is my religion
346 Posts
Red switches

I know what you mean by hating the red switches they stand out like a sore thumb. Do what I did. If you have a steady hand and a small brush and some black paint....all gone!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
bars and wires

Which bars are you going to switch too?

I am going to order the 77196-04 cruise control, which I understand comes with all the civilian switches including the cruise and radio switches. I did not realize the harnesses were that different, but it should not be that hard to figure out, considering that you have indicated the color codes are the same!

Brad Schmidt
2004 FLHTPI

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
moving the wires in connector

the easiest way to accomplish the rewire I wrote about earlier is to take the Deutsch connector apart. They come apart quite easily. Once you have the two parts separated you remove the orange center spacer. Now all the wires are sort of just sitting in place. Each can be moved or removed from the connector. Then you simply insert the wires from the new switches in the correct location. When your done you will end up with a couple of empty positions in the connector. And remember when you do this you will have to by-pass the clutch interlock switch.

here is a link on the Deutsch connector assembly/disassembly http://www.battsracing.com/cart/sto...=deutsch_dt_and_dtm_connector_user_guide.html

For those who've decided to replace the switches just because you don't like the red buttons. I'll point out how nice those buttons are for wiring in a few special accessories when you don't know where to put a switch.

·
WTF?
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice

I appreciate your help. That was the first project I wanted to accomplish as I change the handle bars. That decision is more difficult than I thought.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
It ain't that hard. I did both sides in a night, through the handlebars, new switch housings and everything.:dunno:

·
WTF?
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the insight

Yeah, I think the hardest thing is getting to the connectors in the nacelle. I like wrenching so I'm looking forward to it. I'm still not sure what handle bars I'm going to get. I like beach bars but I don't think they're good for long rides.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
headlight wires

these wires are to cut off the headlight while idling. some states allow police agencys this function.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
I did my 2004 FLHTPI several months ago using Custom Chrome kit 23-250 (everything:levers, master cyl., clutch perch, switch housings, etc.) purchased from Eastern Performance Cycles on ebay for $120 and free shipping (now they are about $160), compared to the Harley price of $550+ to do the same thing.
The left switch housing will require a new switch assembly for the "Horn/Hi-Lo Beam" to replace the "Siren/Hi-Lo" that's on the police model.
The right switch housing will not require any new switches, but you will need to relocate the passing/pursuit/lamp switch from the switch housing to someplace else on the RK. On my Electra Glide I simply bought the rocker type switch that Classics and Ultra Classics use and spliced this switch into the appropriate wires inside the fairing. Don't know how this is done on an FLHPI.
If you think you will do much of your own work on your bike, buy both the 2005 Touring Service Manual and the 2005 Police Supplement. And if you use an independent shop, it doesn't hurt to bring the manuals along for accessories, etc. to be installed by them.
This has been one of the best "bang for the buck" mods I have made to the bike.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
if your removing the stock police controls i maybe interested in them they switched mine to civi's before i bought my bike drop me a line

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
by-pass interlock

the by pass is easy enough to by-pass. there are a couple of way to accomplish this task. the interlock works by making a connection when you pull the lever. The connection is sort of like a neutral switch on an automatic or the clutch switch on some standard cars. The concept is to make sure you not trying to start while in gear or the clutch is out.

There are two black wires with red stripe (BK/R) in the wire harness that are identified as being in the number 7 and number 8 pin position. Cut the wires on the switch side so they are long enough to put a splice between the short ends. That will effectively make the interlock connect all the time.

The best way is to disassemble the Desuchts connector and make an actual jumper to accomplish the job. That way the OEM wires are available if you wanted to reconnect the interlock.

Personaly I like the interlock being there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
gman62 said:
I just purchased a 2005 FLHPI and am getting acquainted with it. I noticed two orange wires behind the headlight that are taped off. Can anybody tell me what those are for? Also, has anybody changed out the handle bar switches to civilian ones? How muchand how hard? Thanks!
one's an extra accessory plug, for whatever u choose...
the other's for the optional abs...

orange with a white stripe (acc) and an orange n brown (abs)?

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
hello folks

does anyone knows where I can get the FLHPI wiring diagrams?
(mfd. 2003 but I assume 2001-2003 should be pretty similar)

my dealer (in Poland) does not have it.... :(

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Harley Service Manual Suppliment, Police

There are several older police supplements on ebay. Does anybody know how far back you can go and still be useful for an 06 FLHPI model?

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Are the 07 interlocks the same as the earlier police versions. I would like to keep the interlock when I change controls. If it is the same, I will change to controls for an 07.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
R66P: If you open the switch housing on the left side handlebar you should be able to see a rubber booted switch the clutch lever engages to close the starting circuit when it is pulled. It is very similiar, if not identical, to the way the brake light switch works on the right hand lever.

The problem with retaining the switch is that the Harley and aftermarket levers do not include a space/hole to accommodate the clutch interlock switch. That's why the Harley levers listed in the P&A catalog specifically says they are not compatible for police models.

·
Registered
92 Posts
route66paul said:
Are the 07 interlocks the same as the earlier police versions. I would like to keep the interlock when I change controls. If it is the same, I will change to controls for an 07.
by interlock you're refering to the clutch safety switch ? the chrome switch housing, or any of the civilian model bikes don't have that switch... but yes the cop interlock switch is the same in 07

cops are taught to start their bikes in gear at all times for a quick getaway, and to stop them from flying into a wall if they forget to pull in the clutch HD put that switch in there... 9.8 out of 10 cops that learn to ride for a living have never ridden in their lives, so HD helps the lawsuit thing out by adding an extra safety factor

behind your headlight butt connect/solder or however u want too, connect the two black wires with the red tracer that run up to the left handlebar and that will eliminate that switch... there are no custom levers with that extra material on them to push that switch in, so u either use a cop lever and a cop housing u send off to get chromed or u do away with it...

and btw all flt/flh police supplemental service manuals cover all the wiring, their all the same for the last ten yrs with the exception of the added ABS wiring since 05... and dats an orange wire with a brown tracer...

u can buy those manuals at any HD dealership, or on ebay etc.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts