V-Twin Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Thanks. I did contact dyna tech and they sent me same info. I figured out the trouble code and it flashes a 11. One flash a second later another flash. One the charts I have it shows a throttle position sensor code or high battery voltage. This 2001 carbureted does not have tps that I'm aware of so it must be the high voltage. Correct?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
No tps on a carbed bike, where did you find 11 means over voltage,, just curious, How close to 15 volts, you need to be more accurate, 14.8 is a top high end reading,, 14.9 is too much. Make sure battery terminals are clean and tight, along with battery ground cable to frame and voltage regulator grounds. If still high it could be a bad regulator, or bad stator, would need to run an stator test. there is no test for regulators,, if stator tests ok it's the regulator,, if the stator is bad,, both should be replaced.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
One flash a second later another flash.
How do you know that's not a "2" instead of an "11"? I didn't see anything in their instructions about diagnostics. And don't confuse your carb ECM with one for FI. Are these flashes in the check engine light? Or are we still talking about flashing hazard lights?

I would imagine any Harley Davidson diagnostics for you bike will be only associated with the stock ECM. If you didn't get that in the box of spare parts when you bought the bike, I guess it's still sitting in some prior owner's toolbox, or maybe someone forgot what it was and filed it in the round file a long time ago.

Do you have any idea why that ignition was installed on the bike? Was it to support some engine modifications? Have you done any snooping around to see if you can ID anything that doesn't look like it came off the MoCo assembly line? Things like adjustable pushrods, which might indicate a cam change. Or maybe some work inside the cam chest, like tensioner shoe upgrades. Maybe even gear drive cams. Kind of hard to tell if it has been bored or had head work without some disassembly.

When I had my high voltage fault, it would spike up to about 17v. I could only determine that running the bike on the dyno with the DVOM hooked to the battery. It was sporadic and random and would pop up and then go away until the next spike. There was no stored code, just like your ignition. In my case, it was the regulator. No problems since replacement.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
How do you know that's not a "2" instead of an "11"

I believe all codes are 2 digits.
But like you I wonder about only 2 flashs, I've found where it could mean a TPS.. but this is a carbed bike, so no. Unless converted from EFI., But then it should have been coding ever since.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Yessir your correct. I rolled the dice and swapped the rectifier and so far so good. Rode about 80 miles and started stopped several times. No hazard flash. We shall see

61 - 69 of 69 Posts