V-Twin Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,716 Posts
Today still the battle with the speedo. I did notice this morning that when odometer/speedo quit I can sometimes wiggle ignition switch and they will work somewhat. I did check all the connections in the console and it all looked good and tight. Maybe a bad worn ignition switch. 21 years old 68000 miles.
Change the ignition switch.

Reactions: Hoges

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes. At idle odometer works. Sometimes when taking off from a stop speedo works up to around 20mph then just stays or drops to zero and odometer goes blank. Also slowing down to stop or turn it will come back on and speedo will operate
Had a simulate issue on a 2000 ultra. Found the 12v wire used to power the "util" circuit had shorted and burned. Replace the wire and util fuse and all was well. Harley runs several things on the bike from that util fuse, including blinkers, speedo, cruise ctrl.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Question. I "cleared the code" using the hold of the left turn signal button hold after the cycle of ignition switch. Would the speedometer sticking throw a code? When I cleared code I got a "1" flash of hazards which is a success, correct? I filled gas went for a ride. I noticed, first time a hesitation of speedo. When I left my next stop got the "6" flash of hazards. Any advise?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Not sure which method you used by " hold the left t/s".
If it's the method I posted earlier it looks like you should press the left t/s twice, and you would get one Flash to tell you your bike has a TSM , 2 flashes mean it has a TSSM.
Then continue with pushing the right t/s. There are a few more steps until you get to be able to clear. Looks like there will be two flashes to confirm.
Re-read and use each step looks like you may be stopping halfway.
You should really get a electrical diagnostic manual for your year and model bike.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks for responding. I printed off the info you posted on code test. I guess I must have misunderstood but I thought I could clear stored/active code by cycling switch and then holding the left t/s 4 to 5 seconds to clear. I'll have to review it again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Ok, I just went to garage and hollowed your instructions and everything seems to be in order. Bike has a TSM as stated. I'm going to ride this morning and see what happens. I am somewhat thinking I do have a speedo issue. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I replaced the speedo and that took care of turn signal issue and speedometer issue. All working fine. I can clear trouble code with ignition switch cycle and right/left turn signal but the minute I go for a ride the flashing hazards come back. I follow the instructions that you sent me but hazard flash comes back.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
If you are indeed clearing the code, getting the two flashes after step 8, then your bike must still have a problem and is recoding, and will do this until the problem is repaired. At step 7 it tells you if there's a code your flashers will Flash a sequence, first some slow flashes then some fast flashes, you need to count those flashes to determine a number, for example one slow Flash, a pause, and then four quick flashes that would be 14. Then you need to find a table to decipher that code number , I don't know it. This is why you need a manual for your model bike, you may find it if you search the internet.
It may have something to do with the aftermarket ignition and the TSM not recognizing it.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,716 Posts
If this is a 2001 model with MM EFI, it might share some of the same codes for my '97 MM system. Here are the checking procedure and the codes from the '97 manual. 2001 might have more codes, but would not likely use one of these older codes to mean anything different.

Font Material property Parallel Document Number

Rectangle Parallel Font Number Document

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
OK. You replaced the speedo and that fixed most of your problems. Great.

Let's take a step back to your CENTEC/Dynatec/Dynajet ignition. Whatever it's called today. I see from one of your other posts that you were at one time considering replacing your CV carb with a Mikuni. Since there was no follow up to this, I am assuming you still have the CV. I guess that means you don't have an MM system. Am I tracking so far?

I might be wrong, but I believe that once the Harley Davidson ECM was replaced, all this factory diagnostics, push this button, hold that switch stuff went somewhere else and was replaced by the aftermarket ignition module diagnostics. That's the way it is for my Crane and that's the way it is for the DTT ignition. All the other private label ignitions that I know about do their own thing too. None of them just mirror the factory diagnostics, step by step.

I can't find anything definitive about your 20-year-old ignition as far as how it signals codes. Somehow, their diagnostics aren't published on Al Gore's amazing internet. At least where I can locate them. But since I'm no expert, it is entirely possible that you could go to the owner's manual and follow the steps of a stock ECM and that will do the trick. But everything you are doing unsuccessfully says something else. If you can't get up with the Dyna people and get their instructions, I would recommend dumping their ignition and finding another 20-year-old ignition system that is supported. Itwould only be a couple or 3 hundred bucks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Good morning and thanks to all of you who are helping me. I called Dynajet tech support and they told me this module does not store any trouble codes that I would still have to clear any per the factory procedure. I did change the carb to an ez-42 mikuni and it runs just fine. I feel I'm following the procedure to clear codes but as I've mentioned I get the 6 flash of hazard lights after I ride it. I can stop it, run it, shut it off etc while parked and the error does not return until I ride it. I have the weekend off and going to dig a little deeper.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Do you have a shop manual for your bike? Mine has about 55 pages of instructions for diagnostics for the carbureted ECM. Some pertain to the use of the HD Scanalyzer tool. If that isn't available, it calls for jumpering a couple of wires in the data link connector and reading flashes of the check engine lamp. It doesn't say anything about pushing turn signals or flashing hazard lights. There might be slight differences between diagnosticd for your ECM (32478-99A) and mine (32478-99) but I can't see how they would be drastically different like that. Fuel injected might be a lot different, as it uses a completely different ECM. Which you don't have now and never had.

G Man's first section about how to check fir DTCs is good, but all that MM stuff after about retrieving codes doesn't apply to a carbed ECM.

That being said, when I replaced the factory ECM with my aftermarket one, diagnostics became completely different. But it still goes through the check engine lamp, and it is automatic when a condition occurs. The only one I have experienced is a random high voltage situation that would come up while I was riding. The ECM would kill the signal to the speedo and blink the lamp 5 times and then the speedo would come back to life. There is about 1 page of diagnostics with the Crane instructions covering the 7 possible faults it detects.

I called Dynajet tech support and they told me this module does not store any trouble codes that I would still have to clear any per the factory procedure.
Sounds like double talk to me. If it doesn't store codes, then how is there anything to clear? I would call them back and harangue them until they gave me a link to the actual instructions, not just some verbal hint over the phone from somebody that probably wasn't working for their company and might not even been alive when this ECM was designed. It's even possible that the instructions would tell you what 6 flashes mean, whether whoever you talked to knew or was clueless.

Did you address the 6 flashes of the hazards during your conversation to see if sounded like anything they would know about? If they said no, you could quit thinking it was a trouble code and look elsewhere for the solution.

I hope you figure this out soon. I'm getting worn out giving you a hard time about it. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
They recommended I contact dealer..again they said the tc-88 dyna tec module does not store codes. I don't know...everything works. The hazard light flash 6 times when I turn on switch to start engine.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Can you get the number off of the turn signal module? It should be 68920-01. A TSSM security module looks the same but has a part no. of 68922-00.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I think it's inside or under the battery tray. But I could be all wrong.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Put the part number in a search and it should bring up a bunch of hits. Lots of them for sale on fleabay. It has a tag with the part no. and a bar code behind the wiring connector.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Found this. I don't see anything about diagnostics except self-diagnostics when you first turn the bike on. No flashing lights, no nothing. Still might want to save a copy.

dk201024.pdf (denniskirk.com)

Reactions: Hoges
41 - 60 of 69 Posts