V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Sounds like a power problem, Speedo losing current. The motor never quits right, that would mean the main breaker isn't shutting off which was a problem back then, you can check it. I'd look at key switch, or bad fuse panel I think some back then had an issue, or some bad wiring.
There is no reason for the headlight to be flashing maybe backtrack from there. You're going to at least need a wiring diagram.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,716 Posts
This is a new occurrence and new bike. I changes sensor because it was recommended by a fried. He thought that would correct my speedo issue. What is the TSSM? I am a diesel mechanic so if I seem a little illiterate I'm sorry. The flashing light is intermittent at start up. Will flash 6 times. The speedo/odometer never works correctly. Sticks sometimes odometer will flash.
That didn't really clear anything up.

How long have you had this bike?

Did it have this problem when you got it or did this start later, after you rode the bike for a while without it having this problem?

What speedo issue were you trying to fix with the speed sensor?

What "onboard diagnostics" are you performing? Do you have a factory service manual for your bike?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
This started after a while, probably 45 months after I got it. The on-board system is where you hold in trip opener to read DC codes. The reason I changed the speed sensor was hoping it would correct the odometer/speedo intermittent issue.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
You need to go find some instructions for your ignition module. It will have its own diagnostics. It replaced the Harley module so none of the stock steps or instructions will work with it. The oe data link won't be supported and the scan tool won't work because of that. I also doubt that your on-board diagnostics are doing anything either, for the same reason. The fact that is telling you there is no code is because it is blind.

That's why I asked if it was blinking the engine light. My Crane HI-4TC kills the signal to the speedo so it can send a "code" to the check engine light. It will blink however many times for whatever the fault condition is. It's not too sophisticated and only covers about 6 or 7 conditions. Maybe your Centec really wants to get your attention and blinks every light it can find.

This is a pretty good indication that your bike has anywhere from some to many modifications.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I see some similarities between your speedo/odo failure and mine. And some differences. One day, my speedo just quit. This is after over 109K miles The lighting in the speedo worked. Several times, the needle would rise to 10 or 20 mph for a few seconds and then go back to zero. The numbers were still visible in the odometer but weren't counting up. Except for the few times the speedo decided to play. Once the speedo went all the way back up to road speed, maybe 60 mph. Then it died for good.

The sensor sits in the transmission case directly above the mainshaft 4th gear and counts the teeth as they roll by. I had the mainshaft trapdoor bearing go out. That allowed enough deflection in the mainshaft to kill the sensor. As the bearing ate itself, it coated the magnetic sensor with a massive amount of steel fragments. I had to clean it several times during troubleshooting. I guess that was good as there was almost none on the trans drain plug when I drained the fluid. I also dredged a magnet in the old fluid and it came up clean. I guess somebody was looking out for me there.

I didn't want to just buy another sensor without being sure it would fix the problem But I also didn't want to have to turn my bike over to the dealership to test for the problem. I took a chance and lucked out as the new sensor returned the bike to normal operation. Since that didn't fix your problem, I would have the speedo tested to confirm or deny. Or maybe you could find someone with a spare sitting on the shelf that you could plug in for testing. Lots of shops have a parts room where they put stuff for sale or for whenever the need arises. If that fixes the problem, you have your answer. If not, you'll have to find the fix in the wiring or somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
This unit is a 2001 Road King and has no remote or fob. It has a CENTEC TC88 ignition module.
I've never heard of this CENTEC TC88 ignition module. Sounds like some tools you get at Harbor Freight. Are you sure it says CENTEC? I've heard of Dynatek and Twin Tec. I think both are current.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Doing some research, found there are two ways to pull OBD codes in 2001, and on some models 6 T/S flashes can be a code stored. This is the other way.
1 Set RUN/OFF switch to OFF
2 Turn IGN key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON
3 Press left turn switch 2 times and
release
1-3 flashes turn signals & indicators
depending on vehicle configuration
(See section under 3.3 TSM/TSSM
VEHICLE DELIVERY regarding battery
disconnects.)
1 flash-Worldwide TSM, no
security
2 flashes-North American/
Domestic configuration
TSSM
3 flashes-European/HDI con-figuration
TSSM
4 Press right turn switch 1 time and
release 1 flash turn signals & indicators
5 Press right turn switch 1 time and
release 2 flashes turn signals & indicators
6 Press right turn switch 1 time and
release 3 flashes turn signals & indicators
7 Press left turn switch 1 time and release turn signals & indicators flash to indicate
trouble codes See Table 3-13.
To clear codes, press and hold left turn
switch for 4-5 seconds until confirmation
is received
2 flashes turn signals & indicators
9 Turn IGN key OFF

This is the thread I pulled it from,

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
It is a dynatek as you stated.
OK. This is programmable. Did you get the cables and software with the bike? Probably not since you didn't say anything about them. I think they are available, for a nominal fee.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Good morning.Happy Father's Day to all! No I didn't get the software etc. Have written my self a note to call them tomorrow. This morning went to garage and cycled switch 6 ot 7 times and no issues. May need to run first, I don't know. Do you know, when swis turned on initially does the speedo make a sweep left to right on this RK? Mine activates, I hear a "pulse" from it and the needle moves backwards about 1/8 inch or so then comes back and all looks good. Oil pressure light and check engine light stay on.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
On my Dyna, I don't get any sweep or deflection in the needle, but the oil and engine lights stay on until cranking. when they hopefully go out and stay out.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Did you go for the Mikuni carb or are you still running the CV?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
My speedo does the same, backs up a bit then back to zero. I took it for a short ride to the gas station this morning when I got there has no running lightsfog lights, and only rh turn signal. Did have brake lights. I had the console off prior checking for loose connections. I belive I have a bad connection or a short in harness or possibly bad ignition switch? On the ride home the left turn signal did come on for a bit but now off. TSSM or TSM? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
You could always take the turn signals and the module out and put them in the box of spare parts where they belong. Nobody pays any attention to motorcycle turn signals. The bike will run just fine without them.

You are sounding more and more like a flaky module. I had variable turn signals. Work one day, then nothing for 2. Sometimes left, sometimes right. Not worth the $150+ it would cost to replace when you could get one from the Harley store.

Here, you don't have to have turn signals. But if you do have them, they have to work to pass safety inspection.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Sounds more and more like a wiring or power problem,, running and driving light are not connected to the T/S, TSM, TSSM circuits. I'd start by pulling at the harness around the steering neck. then electrical test.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Today still the battle with the speedo. I did notice this morning that when odometer/speedo quit I can sometimes wiggle ignition switch and they will work somewhat. I did check all the connections in the console and it all looked good and tight. Maybe a bad worn ignition switch. 21 years old 68000 miles.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts