V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening. I have an issue with my 2001 Road King. The speedometer hardly works, odometer is intermittent, lights flash 6 times when I turn on the key sometimes, signals do not cancel. The onboard diagnostic shows clear no codes stored. I bought a new code reader and it cannot make contact. I did change speedo sensor with new drag specialties sensor. Any ideas? Help?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Is this an ongoing issue, or is it something that just popped up lately? And when you say lights flash 6 times, are you talking about things like the headlights and taillights? Or are you talking about the engine light in your instruments?

I just went through an episode where my speedo quit indicating the speed and the odo stopped adding up the miles. It was because a bearing in the transmission went out and trashed the speedo sensor. When you pulled out the old sensor, was there any fuzz stuck to it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It h ad just started. The headlight/taillights flash. I'm told it's a trouble code? The sensor actually looked ok when I replaced it. There is no check engine light on.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Does it run OK? Does it have some sort of aftermarket security system? Some loan companies do install them for tracking. Does it have factory Security system? Don't know of any codes that flash thru the headlite,

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No security system that I know of. Runs great. Everything works fine except the odometer/speedo intermittent and the turn signals won't self cancel. I check codes with onboard system and seems no stored or active. No check engine light on or flashing.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I don't under stand the flashing headlite and tail lites,, the only place they should interconnect with the speedo or T/S is at the key switch. The speedo sensor talks to the speedo, which will talk to the T/S module for self-canceling. Many models do have a security system, that is part of the T/S module. Operated by a key fob. Your will need an electrical manual or at least a wiring diagram for your year and model bike, I'd start by checking the key switch at both run and accessory terminals.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is an official speedometer tester. Probably only going to find one at the dealer. Since your bike is way old now, they might have already tossed out those old dust covered tools to make room for some new ones. Or maybe a couple more rows of do' rags. You know, the really important stuff.

It uses a homemade harness to attach to the speedo and sensor together with the tester. Just like Harley Davidson.

The procedure calls for testing of the speedo to make sure the problem isn't there. Before going and testing the sensor. Or just buying a new one, for maybes.

But if you had your official FSM handy, you would probably already know that.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,717 Posts
Good evening. I have an issue with my 2001 Road King. The speedometer hardly works, odometer is intermittent, lights flash 6 times when I turn on the key sometimes, signals do not cancel. The onboard diagnostic shows clear no codes stored. I bought a new code reader and it cannot make contact. I did change speedo sensor with new drag specialties sensor. Any ideas? Help?
So, I must have missed your answer to a question(s) asked at the beginning. Is this a new occurrence? Is this bike new to you? Has the bike been running fine and just started doing this? Why did you change the speed sensor?

It kinda sounds like somebody put a TSSM on a bike with no security system, but there is a lot of information missing from your story.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is a new occurrence and new bike. I changes sensor because it was recommended by a fried. He thought that would correct my speedo issue. What is the TSSM? I am a diesel mechanic so if I seem a little illiterate I'm sorry. The flashing light is intermittent at start up. Will flash 6 times. The speedo/odometer never works correctly. Sticks sometimes odometer will flash.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
A harley has either a TSM, turn signal module, or a TSSM, turn signal-security module. It a t/s - security in one unit, operated with a key chain fob.
With tssm when you push the button on the fob the t/s's will flash twice to tell you it's on, and once when turned off. A security light will blink in the speedo until turned off. When on it will disable the starter and flash the t/s's multiable time if the bike is moved.
I' never seen head or tail lites flash however.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Ignition won't matter, all the tssm does is disable the starter, not ignition, and Flash the turn signals. The TSM and tssm are interchangeable on a bike but they must programmed to the speedometer if replaced and you would need the fob to do that. What I wonder is if the multiple flashes are an indication TSM isn't communicating the speedo.
Now you say Speedo sticks, and I guess odometer numbers disappear?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes. At idle odometer works. Sometimes when taking off from a stop speedo works up to around 20mph then just stays or drops to zero and odometer goes blank. Also slowing down to stop or turn it will come back on and speedo will operate

1 - 20 of 69 Posts