V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flashing rear lights are not a very good idea, especially at nighttime. We tend to visually estimate distances by measuring the relative motion between the lighted object and its surroundings. Constantly interupting the light source compromises this ability, so drivers coming up behind are not as sure as they would otherwise be, exactly where the "flashing" object is. An intoxicated driver (precisely the sort of driver we would be most concerned about) would be especially prone to this sort of problem. I have heard this put forward as one theory that would explain the relatively large number of intoxicated drivers that end up crashing into the back of highway patrol vehicles that are stopped by the side of the road with their lights flashing.

I don't mean to suggest that the accepted motorcycling technique of "flashing" the high beams at vehicles we suspect may pull out in front of us, or "tapping" the brakes a couple of time to alert a driver coming up too fast behind us is incorrect. A couple of flashes, controlled by the rider, can certainly not hurt. My concern is a sustained constant flashing, controlled by the action of the brake pedal or lever, may in actual fact do more harm than good.

I would prefer to see some scientifically controlled study that showed the effectiveness of such devices, rather than relying on the unscientific claims of the flasher makers. Lastly, the Hurt Report (USC, 1981), a scientific study of 900 motorcycle collisions reported that a mere 5.5% of all accidents occured in the 5 o'clock to 7 o'clock range. Moreover, I question how many, if any of such statistically rare accidents would have been prevented by the use of such flashing devices.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Good points. I have the Kuryakyn Panacea LED taillight and turn signals on rear of my bike. When applying brakes, they blink for 2 seconds and then go on solid. Turn signals stay on all the time while just riding. Wife rode behind me in van during day and night and said they were definitely attention getters(for the non-impaired driver).

I also would like to see some kind of information on blinking lights. But would our government give us information that is correct/useful or information to legislate what type of lights we should have on our bikes? ;)

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have also heard that drunks are attracted to bright lights, which is why they often stray towards police lights and/or flares.

As far as flashing headlights at cars you fear may turn in front of you, does anybody get nervous that the driver may take this as a signal that you're telling him to go ahead and pull out?

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I'd avoid flashing heads as an attention-getter....i agree it might be taken as a signal to have them go ahead. Best to just slow down and get in a good position to avoid trouble. i usually get over as far as possible, slow down and make sure i am not boxed in by other cars when I am not sure a car sees me.

As far as automatic flashing tails....I seem to remember the back-off (signaldynamics.com?) product site has some scientific data...maybe not. I went with red bulbs in the rear (got them from a ricer-oriented site) and put in the HD wire kit that makes your rear signals also act as brake lights. peaple tell me it makes a big differance having all 3 light up. I have the smoked lenses so I had to get red bulbs and neither HD or J&P sell single filament red bulbs. The kit comes with red lenses which I added to my growing collection of removed stock items that I keep for no apparent reason.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Logical,
The rear turn signal kit is what I plan on getting also. Are you saying that the smoked lense with a red bulb shows up better than a bulb with a red lense?

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
logical said:
The kit comes with red lenses which I added to my growing collection of removed stock items that I keep for no apparent reason.
You too, huh? I figure if I ever decide to maybe trade, I'll remove what I can and put stock back on and then trade. I'm sure that the money we all have invested we won't be getting a good ROI(Return On Investment) from H-D for a stock bike, huh?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts