V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving through Carson City today so I stopped in at the HD dealer there just for the fun of it to check out some bikes. They had a 2006 RoadKing Custom in there that was black with dark blue flames on it. It was also all chromed out everywhere with different bars and wheels on it too. I liked the bike a lot, and I might have even bought it if it was a different color.

My question is, now I know for sure I want a flamed bike. I'm thinking a white bike with deep blue/purple flames. Theres nothing on the HD site about custom paint jobs, but I have seen them many times before at dealers though. Does the dealer send these bikes out when they get them to get a custom paint job somewhere or can they order them in that way?

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
PeepingTom said:
I was driving through Carson City today so I stopped in at the HD dealer there just for the fun of it to check out some bikes. They had a 2006 RoadKing Custom in there that was black with dark blue flames on it. It was also all chromed out everywhere with different bars and wheels on it too. I liked the bike a lot, and I might have even bought it if it was a different color.

My question is, now I know for sure I want a flamed bike. I'm thinking a white bike with deep blue/purple flames. Theres nothing on the HD site about custom paint jobs, but I have seen them many times before at dealers though. Does the dealer send these bikes out when they get them to get a custom paint job somewhere or can they order them in that way?
Most all have genuine motor accessories on the bikes including the paint. If you want custom just buy a bike and take it to a local painter that you know is good.

·
Another Great Day to Ride
963 Posts
A couple of the dealers closest to me have bikes done from local sources. They get the bike in, take the tins off, send them out to the painters, then put them back together with a crap load of accessories and sell them for a truck load of money.

If you are seriously considering a custom paint set. I'd suggest saving a few bucks and get a Vivid Black bike, then take the tins off the bike and get them painted by a local, reputable painter.

E :cool:

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
my local dealer has Perewitz(sp) paint jobs on bike and for sale......nice stuff...They also use H-D paint as well......

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
PeepingTom said:
Theres nothing on the HD site about custom paint jobs, ?
look under Products - motor acc - new products
and
customize your harley - style

·
Registered
443 Posts
PT, my guess is the bike you saw had dealer installed tins from the HD (factory) custom paint shop. Possibly NOS, I think they offered a black/blue flame set a while back. They upgrade the custom paint sets every year. Check ebay, search Harley Paint Set. They're always a bunch on there & they ain't cheap, usually...

·
Registered
248 Posts
custom painters versus MOCO

IMO, you can get a frig of a better paintjob for the money MOCO charges from custom painters around. Plus you have input as to what colors/schemes you really like...
Lots of good custom painters regionally in any area...thats what I have done on my last 2 HD's

ace57
'05 FXDL "molly"
Carbs rule!

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
Personally, i like pinstripe flames...there was a painter at York in Sep. at The Hop, and he did some on a black cherry StreetGlide that i thought looked good.
Also, i've seen some stuff done by Scarecrow...he comes around to a couple local dealers spring and fall...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Suggestions for Painters?

So how about sharing information on reputable painters that are out there? (specifically in the NW?)

Thanks

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts

·
Banned
873 Posts
PeepingTom said:
I'm thinking a white bike with deep blue/purple flames. Theres nothing on the HD site about custom paint jobs, but I have seen them many times before at dealers though.
Didn't like '02-'05 wide glides offer white with dark blue flame or something?

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
2smoooth said:
So how about sharing information on reputable painters that are out there? (specifically in the NW?)

Thanks
This guy does the sickest work I've ever seen and he is just down the street in a small town called American Fork, Ut

He's also a great guy and will give you exactly what you want. A few buddies have used him and can't say enough good things about him.

http://www.danlangstondesign.com/index.html

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Fatb0y said:
Most all have genuine motor accessories on the bikes including the paint. If you want custom just buy a bike and take it to a local painter that you know is good.
I agree. I don't understand spending all that money on off the shelf paint. I have seen some nice ones. But would rather take the design to paint shop. I think its jsut cause people are lazy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
berserker said:
I agree. I don't understand spending all that money on off the shelf paint. I have seen some nice ones. But would rather take the design to paint shop. I think its jsut cause people are lazy.
Your exactally right when you said lazy. I don't want to mess with it. I just want to pick up the bike from the dealer and go with it.

Thanks for all the information guys, I really appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts