V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I put the new Metzler ME880 tires on the FXST, the front end wobbled around 80MPH nad faster. I kept thinking the tires may be a bit to blame. Rebalanced, fiddled with tire pressure, etc. No help. I finally checked the fall away per the service manual. What a pain in the a**. I got the fall away set per the book and it still wobbled more than I thought it should, so I kept tightening the star nut until it went away. The bars take a slight effort to turn but the wobble is gone. I also noticed during my first oil change that when I greased the neck bearings I probably put 20 pumps of grease before I saw any begin to appear at the top or bottom.

Maybe the Metzlers are more sensitive than the Dunslops or the Avons I ran previously.

Hope this helps someone out there.:hmmm:

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
berno56 said:
Ever since I put the new Metzler ME880 tires on the FXST, the front end wobbled around 80MPH nad faster. I kept thinking the tires may be a bit to blame. Rebalanced, fiddled with tire pressure, etc. No help. I finally checked the fall away per the service manual. What a pain in the a**. I got the fall away set per the book and it still wobbled more than I thought it should, so I kept tightening the star nut until it went away. The bars take a slight effort to turn but the wobble is gone. I also noticed during my first oil change that when I greased the neck bearings I probably put 20 pumps of grease before I saw any begin to appear at the top or bottom.

Maybe the Metzlers are more sensitive than the Dunslops or the Avons I ran previously.

Hope this helps someone out there.:hmmm:
Don't think you want to tighten the neck bearings to the point of binding up.

You might want to check the run out on the wheel. Don't know who did the mounting of the tire, but they could have bent the wheel.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did check the runout. The wheel is true within about 0.010 inches and the disk is true as well. I don't have much pinch on the neck, just enough to put some friction to move the bars. The wheel won't flop when it is pushed while on a lift, but is tighter than the 1-2 inches of movement the service manual calls for.

My shovel is tight too and I have no shake at high speed with it. It too has a 21" front wheel, but with an Avon tire. It just aggravated me that it appeared to have insufficient grease from the factory and that the neck was that loose at 22,000 miles. I rode about 40 miles on the freeway last night and it feels much better.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
berno56 said:
The ME880's and Avons are less sensitive as experienced when crossing a bridge or sealant strips on pavement...they aren't affected in that way...sounds as though you may ahve a bearing problem it you have to tighten 'til you notice the stiffness of the frontend...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts