V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The riding season is coming to a close in northern IN. Likely not many riding days left until the start throwing salt on the streets and I declare an end to it until spring.

I've found a slow leak in my original rear tire. It is "slow." I've lost 10 psi in two weeks. The original tire has 11K and change on it. It looks like it still has decent tread. Lestwise, it's not to a place that I would think about replacing it, if it wasn't for this problem. Before a ride yesterday, I had it up on the jack and saw a pin sized shiny metal something-or-other embedded in the tread. I imagine that is the source.

So, question #1 is with 11K on a leaker, would your fix it or replace it?

Question #2, is would you do it before storage or make it a Spring job? I store it on a jack with both tires off the ground.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I like to wait until spring, as long as you can get a fresh tire (one that has not been on the shelf since the previous season). On the jack is good for the leaker as you won't need to keep putting air in it to avoid cracking of the sidewall.

·
Registered
938 Posts
1)With 11,ooo miles on the tire it is reaching its end.Have you measured the tread depth?Considering it has a puncture and with those miles,I would change it out IMO.I was able to get 15800 miles out of the stock rear D402.

2)If your not going to ride the bike until spring and you are going to replace it,just wait and change the tire then.
If you are going to plug the tire,I would do it now.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
i would have it replaced now. everyone expects their bike to be fixed first in the spring and that don't happen.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Wait till spring, bake that bad boy off until it pops and replace. Thats what I am doing anyway. I change my own tires anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bagga said:
i would have it replaced now. everyone expects their bike to be fixed first in the spring and that don't happen.
That's the biggest thing that makes me want to do it now. I just see an early warm day coming, and I am going to want to fire up the scooter but it will be flatter than a pancake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts