V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen the "Fix My Hog" DVD's? If so how did you like it and was it worth the money?

They don't have one for the Dyna but they e-mailed me and said the Soft Tail one would be a good one as the maintanance is very close to the Dyna.

Any thoughts

TIA

Rob

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
romac said:
Has anyone seen the "Fix My Hog" DVD's? If so how did you like it and was it worth the money?

They don't have one for the Dyna but they e-mailed me and said the Soft Tail one would be a good one as the maintanance is very close to the Dyna.
The DVD is not a lot of money, I find it worthwhile to watch a process when learning. It is NOT a replacement for the Genuine Harley-Davidson Service Manual specific to your year and model.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I've watched it and though it has some good tips it is just a general guide to maintenance. For example, it has a section on rear wheel removal / install and it goes like this: remove rear break, loosen and remove axel nuts and axel, taking care to keep track of spacer order, remove belt from rear flywheel, slide tire out. They don't show install, alignment or belt tightening proceedure.

I did like their section on break maintenance. I also learned some cool tricks, like cleaning parts with break cleaner spray.

Watching it made me feel more comfortable doing maintenance on my bike, but it cannot be (nor does it claim to be) a substitute for the manual.

I give it a thumbs up. Worth watching if you are not an experienced wrench.

-bluelab

·
'08 Ultra Classic
39 Posts
I have both the DVD and the Service Manual for my bike. WIth the DVD, it's great to see a procedure along with a tip or trick before I do it.
I think it's worth the money.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I feel that for the most part the tough stuff isn't even covered via "show and tell" (like the rear wheel removal mentioned by another poster), which should be the advantage of DVD over a service manual. If I would of had a chance to preview it before purchase I would NOT have bought it. Plus the narrators voice is plain annoying. At best, 2 stars out of 5.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
As another option there is always http://toplesstuneup.com/ . That is if you like a little boobies with your oil change.

I bought this for a friend of mine as a gag gift last Christmas. The maintenance part of the video was terrible but the boobies were nice...~!Awesome!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. Was just curious if it was worth the money. I haven't had a lot of experience working on bikes so I thought this would be a good introduction. (Along with the service manual of course)

Rob

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
romac said:
Thanks for the input. Was just curious if it was worth the money. I haven't had a lot of experience working on bikes so I thought this would be a good introduction. (Along with the service manual of course)

Rob
I think it would be money well spent.

If and when you decide to "go big", short block charlie put out a DVD showing the build of a JIMS 120 inch motor

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
FATVETTE said:
As another option there is always http://toplesstuneup.com/ . That is if you like a little boobies with your oil change.

I bought this for a friend of mine as a gag gift last Christmas. The maintenance part of the video was terrible but the boobies were nice...~!Awesome!
I went to the topless tuneup site. They say the previews are PG rated and I checked a couple and they were, but the Road King preview is definately R Rated! Man those babes have some huge hooters,(you'll need a healthy appreciation for plastic of course) nice and dumb too just how I like em!
Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
FATVETTE said:

That's real similar to "Boob-N-Lube"

·
Registered
292 Posts
I got the Ultra and the Softtail one. The Sportser just came out. I have an ultra, and my wife has a dyna. Between the two DVD's it covers the dyna for everything I would ever want to do.

It has a lot of the basic stuff that costs well over $100 each year to do. So, after just one year, you can recoup the costs. I've done clutch adjustments per the DVD already. Other than oil changes which I didn't need the DVD for, I'm not sure a lot of the other stuff is things I would do. But ... It does make me familiar enough that I know what to look for and when to have the work done by someone who knows what they are doing.

I've talked to the author, and he's great. He is responsive and personally handles any feed back. That's impressive in today's world.

It makes some basic assumptions. If you don't know the difference between a screw driver and a wrench, don't bother. ^rolleyez^ But if you are not afraid to get a little dirty every now and then, get them. There are a couple times the voice-over talks about an adjustment that isn't visualized, but once you watch the whole DVD, you'll see what they are talking about in a later adjustment.

I would recommend them to anyone who's not already intimately familiar with their bike. Especially if your are a visual person and not a reader.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Update version released

Press Release

Fix My HOG

Fix My Hog™ Releases First Ever Bolt-On Performance and Accessory DVDs; Six Hours of Do-It-Yourself Instruction Jam-Packed into Each Edition
San Diego, CA, February 20, 2007 --(PR.COM)-- Fix My Hog Inc., the creator of three critically acclaimed do-it-yourself Harley-Davidson® motorcycle maintenance DVDs, released its first-ever DVD series designed to show riders how to enhance the look and performance of their Softail®/Dyna® and touring model motorcycles. Modeled after the company’s earlier offerings, which gained rave reviews from the public and critics alike for their easy-to-follow format, the newly released Bolt-On Performance and Accessory DVDs feature footage of trained mechanics performing and explaining each upgrade in detail. Taped in a professional motorcycle repair shop, each three-DVD set is crammed with more than six hours of valuable instruction, interviews and insider tips.

By adding high-performance bolt-on components and accessories, riders can customize their motorcycle’s look and amplify its performance, turning any bike into the ultimate riding machine. Using the simple steps demonstrated in the Fix My Hog DVDs, riders can learn how to install an aftermarket clutch, carburetor, EFI mapping system, exhaust system and more. They can also learn how to improve a motorcycle’s look by watching a mechanic install braided cables for throttle, clutch and brakes; outer and inner chrome primary; chrome front ends, custom headlights, custom gauges and more. For a complete list of topics covered on each DVD, visit www.fixmyhog.com

Based on the same concept as earlier Fix My Hog releases, which have been called “outstanding,” “a bargain” and “well-presented and informative,” the two Bolt-On editions boast clear, digital-quality viewing and crisp sound. The long-lasting DVD format allows the viewer to advance chapter by chapter or scene by scene; viewers can even pause to see a clear, static image in detail—impossible to do with videotape—and far easier to follow than a printed manual.

The DVDs are sold separately for $49.95 each.

Fix My Hog founder Dennis Santopietro, an avid motorcyclist and Harley-Davidson owner, created the DVDs to fill a niche. “I thought it would be great to have DVDs that would make motorcycle maintenance and performance enjoyable. Manuals and installation guides can be daunting, but actually watching the procedure makes it easy to do it yourself. I’m thrilled with the response we’ve gotten. Many riders are now working on their own bikes, having fun, and saving money to boot. Whether you’re new to Harleys or have been riding for years, our DVDs make a great addition to your motorcycle shop. They’re great gifts, too.”

Santopietro plans to continue to expand his do-it-yourself DVD concept by creating Fix My®… DVDs for other recreational vehicles.

For more information on how to Know Thy Hog®, to order, to read press reviews or to contact Dennis, [email protected] or call 619/269-9321.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts