V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wife and I are headed to Daytona March 3 for the first time...she can't decide if she wants to ride that far or haul the bike down there...

I've spent about $1000 getting the bike ready for this trip (service, painting, luggage rack, etc...) so I want to ride...

what should I expect when I get there? The local Harley salesman said all you do is sit in traffic...

very excited...if we ride, should we take US 1 the whole way (coming from mid-Georgia) or is A1A a realistic road to ride that far?

thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I ride 650 miles every year from Va. with the OL on the back. We have done it in only 3 gas stops. Your wifes ride should be a breeze.

Your dealer is right, there is a lot of sitting in traffic if you try to cruise around the hotspots. I prefer to get into town, park the bike and take off on foot when going downtown.

·
A$$HOLE!
467 Posts
You're in Georgia man.... how can you NOT ride down? Traffic is bad on Main Street and near Main Street, but most other places it's not that bad. Get one of the pocket guides and get out and see something else. There is so much going on at the local fair grounds and raceways that it is insane. Have fun!

BTW, in my avatar, that's my RK Custom on Daytona Beach!

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
This is a test question, RIGHT?

I'll try to get it correct,

RIDE!!

Not familiar with the roads but from but just a guess, take the A1A or even some smaller back county roads.

What's the destination again?

oh well, doesn't matter. It's about the journey....

Take back roads, leave your watch at home, be socialble with the people you meet up with along the way, don't worry, their will be plenty of em. It'll be a blast!

DUDE!! You're 26!! Time of your life, just slow down enough along the journey to really enjoy it.....

Trust Me.......

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
01RKRiney said:
wife and I are headed to Daytona March 3 for the first time...she can't decide if she wants to ride that far or haul the bike down there...

I've spent about $1000 getting the bike ready for this trip (service, painting, luggage rack, etc...) so I want to ride...

what should I expect when I get there? The local Harley salesman said all you do is sit in traffic...

very excited...if we ride, should we take US 1 the whole way (coming from mid-Georgia) or is A1A a realistic road to ride that far?

thanks for the input
If I can ride from Indy to Orlando, and back, then you certainly can ride from Georgia. Leave the trailer at home

Both A1A and US 1 are good routes to take....but you should leave early, and plan on being on the bike ALL DAY. ( you may want to get your wife an Ipod) I don't know how much you plan on spending, but whatever that amount is, try to bring double, and you should be fine.

whatever route you choose to take, you should have no problems hooking up with a few two wheel convoys, which is the best part of the trip, in my opinion.

There are usually a few events at the Orlando Harley Dealership as well. Last year 38th special played....come early, or plan on doing A LOT of walking.

When we rode into Daytona, we got about halfway towards the heart of the lion, and said fuk it....there were just too many bikes , over 600k. It was literally a traffic jam going back to Orlando.

The Daytona cops are not the nicest people in the world, so make sure you have eye protection, your license, and your registration on at all times.

Oh yeah, downtown Orlando is nice, too.

above all, HAVE FUN! :)
David

·
EagleRider Sucks
375 Posts
Ride and good luck getting around, it's madness trying to get to Main St. Whoever said they get there, park and walk around has got the right idea. Oh ya, the cops are not real forgiving, so be cool.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info guys.

he have a hotel not far from Main Street so I guess it will be wise to walk from there to the hotspots...

hopefully the ride is coming...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts