V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name's Alex and i purchased a 2003 Anniversary FXDWG about 4 months ago. I just have a few questions about whats normal on these types of bikes. I need to know what noises are acceptable and which are not. I have two that concern me right now. One is a rattle that seems to be coming from the bottom of the engine in the front area. It rattles with the rpms of the engine. In other words gets louder/raises pitch when the engine is reved. I thought it might have been a loose primary chain but i checked that and it still rattles. The noise seems to originate near the oil filter. The second comes from the front brake, it goes away when i press the brake slightly. It's sounds like a pulsating scrape of the disc. I don't know if my disc might be warped, but it's too new a bike. Maybe i just need to change the brake pads. Any tips on what kind of things i should watch for on these bikes will be greatly appreciated. It concerns me becuase i ride the bike everyday from school and back so i need to be extremely careful. Mechanical failure is probably my biggest fear.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
:welcome: to the forums. Your technicle question should be reposted in one of the tech sections, but I will answer a bit of it here. If you are just getting some brake chatter noise that is quite common. Try to clean it well to get all the dust out of the area and that will help with the chatter. Switching to the floating type rotors will make a difference also. Not sure what you are referring to noise wise on the bike.

Post up and enjoy.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:welcome: to the forum.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Welcome to the forum fellow Texan! There is a lot of good info here if you look around. I purchased my bike used also and was concerned about some of the noises it makes. The most useful thing I found was that if it is running well and everything is maintained and adjusted properly, remember how it sounds and don't worry about it unless that "normal" sound changes.

Check my sig line... I was in the same situation almost 10,000 miles ago.

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Welcome to the fine forum of v-twin engines and the nuts and bolts who ride them.

If you are used to Metric bikes, than the noise you hear may possibly be the sound of Milwaukee power, singing it's usual song.

You could always have the dealer listen to it your next trip in to purchase bike paraphernalia.

Check out the applicable technical section of this beloved forum for answers to your audible motorcycle questions.

Again, I welcome you and wish you all the best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts