V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a new 2006 Softail Deluxe EFI. Installing oil cooler at 1000 mile service. Is it okay to start using synthetic motor oil ( Amsoil or Mobil 1 HD) at the 1000 mile mark? Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
That's fine, should be no problem but you're gonna get lots of opinions on this.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I changed to Amsoil at 50 miles. This whole "don't use synthetic oil for 500 miles or the rings won't seat" is crap. I guess by that logic you should use the poorest lubricating oil you can find so the rings will seat better? The CVO bikes come with Syn3 in them for pete's sake.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
I just know somebody with a bunch of misspelled crap in his signature is gonna show up and we'll no longer have a consensus...

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Another myth busted. Syn is good from the start, it's just that nobody wants to admit it as not to offend the loyal masses.
Just do it and ride on.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
MegaGlide said:
I just know somebody with a bunch of misspelled crap in his signature is gonna show up and we'll no longer have a consensus...

I disagree! I disagree................

Yea right. I changed to syn the first oil change and when I tore the engine down at 10k for an upgrade, it was perfect. Go with the manufacturers, change to syn if you want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all. I will install the oil cooler and do the synthetic oil change. Thanks for everyone's quick response. I thought it would be okay as well, just good to get ideas from others.

Later

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
I found out the *REAL* secret of motor breakin...use 100% canola oil during breakin...burns cleaner than peanut..and its safer for those people with nut allergies...after breakin, switch to a conventional oil, you'll be amazed at how much better the bike runs!

its true...i saw it on MythBusters....

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
casaba said:
i'm waiting........................................................
What are you waiting for?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts