V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, just got the bike from an 84 year old man. Sat for over a year. Cleaned and rebuilt carb, drained tank, new petcock w inline filter, jst in case. Changed all motor fluids, filter and new plugs. New battery. NOW it is time to do the first start. Most bikes will puke a bunch of oil after sitting for a while. I understand the whole oil pump ball thing.
My ? should I expect the oil puke or can/ will the motor start up without blowing oil?
Stock air filter 98 RK with the crank breather to air filter system. Should I leave the crank vents open when I first start.
Maybe a better ? Should I expect the motor to blow oil? IF it does blow will it be just a one time thing and then the ball will set, or should I do the oil pump before I even try to start the motor.
I really want to have everything right before I POP the cherry on a refreshed motor. THX Randayn
I am HOPE on HOPE that this thing fires up and runs right from the get go.

·
Super Moderator
20,902 Posts
The puking is on scooters with remote oil bags. You can drain the crankcase to prevent the dreaded puking fit.

Put a little oil in the cylinders then crank it through with the plugs out. Give it time for the pump to push some oil to the rods and lifters. Put the plugs back in and fire it up.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I understand?

When I drain the oil on the Roadking, it drains ALL of the oil, even the crank case. That is a good thing. I have had others as you say, Sportsters and Softails that had remote oil tanks, I always wondered about the oil left in the case. Now I understand more about the puke of old oil. Thanks ,No worry now. Just need to get new fuel lines and the tank back on and ready to fire it up.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
um, I never had an evo, but I am thinking it would have a separate drain for the crankcase...should be easy to look for...

rkc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts