V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '08 StreetGlide is coming up on it's first service (1600kms).
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what's involved. I'm thinking it's nothing more than a glorified oil change. If I'm right I'll do it myself and put in Amsoil 20/50 synthetic while I'm at it.
The Dealership wants $300(CDN) for the first service.

Thanks for your input....​

·
Registered
225 Posts
make sure you check the drive belt,they claim it stretches the most in the first 1k.mine did! The best advice I can give is:BUY A SERVICE MANUAL

·
This Space for Rent
57 Posts
From the touring service manual...

replace engine oil & filter, primary lubricant
inspect oil lines & brake lines, air cleaner, tires
check wheel spoke tightness
check clutch adjustment
inspect and adjust drive belt and sprockets
inspect, adjust, and lube throttle, brake, and clutch controls
inspect and lube jiffy stand
inspect fuel lines and fittings
check level and condition of break fluid
inspect break pads and discs for wear
inspect spark plugs
check operation of electrical equipment and switches
lubricate steering head bearings
check pressure, operation, and leakage of air suspension
inspect cruise control disengage switch
lube & inspect fuel door and saddlebag switches
check tightness of critical fasteners

My dealer budgets 3 hours, it took about 2.5 on mine. They got $245 for all of it including synthetic.

If you want to do it right you need to have a well stocked garage. There are a lot of torx screws, T27 is one I had to buy. You will need three calibrated torque wrenches or so to cover a range from about 10 in lbs to 100 ft lbs. You MUST have a service manual to do it right.

The good news is if you don't have the tools, you only have to buy them the first time, and they will pay for themselves pretty quickly.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.
Looks like the dealership is "supposed" to do more than just an oil change.
Appears that some of the listed items should have been covered in the PDI.
I'm wondering if the $300 is worth the piece of mind, however.

·
This Space for Rent
57 Posts
johNTO said:
Thanks for the info.
Looks like the dealership is "supposed" to do more than just an oil change.
Appears that some of the listed items should have been covered in the PDI.
I'm wondering if the $300 is worth the piece of mind, however.
It was for me. I think the dealer wrench is more qualified than I, and I specifically asked if they were doing exactly what was described in the service manual and they said yes. There are a large number of folks who believe you should wrench yourself. I agree, assuming you have the tools, skills, time, and desire. There is a set of stuff I'm comfortable with, but I am happy to pay a few hundred dollars every 5k mi to have someone who does this for a living go over my bike. Maybe over time I'll be comfortable enough to forgo their oversight.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Hmmmm I took it back to the dealer Gruene HD for the 1000 mile only because it was free. They even ask me if I wanted HD syn in it said sure why not if it was free. They wanted to wash it to but I did not have time for that. They said they would do that if I brought it back to them. Not bad compared to some of the other dealers I have dealt with. The HD syn will come out shortly and Amsoil will go in.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kevin,
I hear where your coming from. Why mess with a new bike even though I'm comfortable wrenching. I'll do the simple things myself and let the "pros" do the bigger stuff.
Don't want to risk voiding the warranty, ah!

·
Free agent
795 Posts
billzbubba said:
make sure you check the drive belt,they claim it stretches the most in the first 1k.mine did! The best advice I can give is:BUY A SERVICE MANUAL
He is 100% correct. The problem not doing your own work is...that most service departments don't do all that is reccomended on the checklist in the service manual. There may be a few..but not many. The manual is by far the most important piece of eqipment that you can buy for your bike. Plus..I think the more familiar with your bike, the more you understand what makes it tick. It also saves a boatload of money if you do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
kr70657 said:
From the touring service manual...

replace engine oil & filter, primary lubricant
inspect oil lines & brake lines, air cleaner, tires
check wheel spoke tightness
check clutch adjustment
inspect and adjust drive belt and sprockets
inspect, adjust, and lube throttle, brake, and clutch controls
inspect and lube jiffy stand
inspect fuel lines and fittings
check level and condition of break fluid
inspect break pads and discs for wear
inspect spark plugs
check operation of electrical equipment and switches
lubricate steering head bearings
check pressure, operation, and leakage of air suspension
inspect cruise control disengage switch
lube & inspect fuel door and saddlebag switches
check tightness of critical fasteners

My dealer budgets 3 hours, it took about 2.5 on mine. They got $245 for all of it including synthetic.

If you want to do it right you need to have a well stocked garage. There are a lot of torx screws, T27 is one I had to buy. You will need three calibrated torque wrenches or so to cover a range from about 10 in lbs to 100 ft lbs. You MUST have a service manual to do it right.

The good news is if you don't have the tools, you only have to buy them the first time, and they will pay for themselves pretty quickly.
I wished that all dealers only charged 245 including oil. The stealer got 350 including fluisd her in farmington. The one that I will let my indie do is the 20,000 mile because that is the one that includes the front forks need fluid change. I watched him do is dresser and it is alot of work. Total at the stealer is 550 to 600. He will charge about 500. The indy wins. I do all my own service. Not aproblem for those of us the know tools and bikes. If you do not find a good indy and let him do it

·
Registered
729 Posts
chrt396 said:
He is 100% correct. The problem not doing your own work is...that most service departments don't do all that is reccomended on the checklist in the service manual. There may be a few..but not many. The manual is by far the most important piece of eqipment that you can buy for your bike. Plus..I think the more familiar with your bike, the more you understand what makes it tick. It also saves a boatload of money if you do it yourself.
I second that. A few dealerships are putting in observation windows around here since there is an issue with cutting corners. Try to find one with a window.

Make sure they check the pivot axle nut on the swingarm as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts