V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I passed my msf course and went for the first ride on my bike. It is absolutely way too cool.

Anyhow I killed it at a light and the starter wouldn't work. My uncle (bought the bike from him) had replaced the starter relay just before my bringing me the bike. I was over there to do it with him and we also looked at the solenoid and the copper washer that is in there was pretty pitted. I think I'll need to replace it. Good thing it has a kicker.

The cluch seems to drag a little bit at lights. It also seems that my "friction zone" is at the very first little bit of lever pull. I think it just needs a little adjustment.

And lastly the speedo and tach don't work odo does though.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot I think my head light is adjusted too low any tips on how to adjust it.

Thanks guys,
Joel

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
joeldavid_m said:
So I passed my msf course and went for the first ride on my bike. It is absolutely way too cool.

Anyhow I killed it at a light and the starter wouldn't work. My uncle (bought the bike from him) had replaced the starter relay just before my bringing me the bike. I was over there to do it with him and we also looked at the solenoid and the copper washer that is in there was pretty pitted. I think I'll need to replace it. Good thing it has a kicker.

The cluch seems to drag a little bit at lights. It also seems that my "friction zone" is at the very first little bit of lever pull. I think it just needs a little adjustment.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot I think my head light is adjusted too low any tips on how to adjust it.

Thanks guys,
Joel

I wonder what sort of motorcycle it is that you are talking about?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update

I took look at the bike before heading to work and think I have found my starter problem. One of the pass through bolts, the one the ground from the relay was attached to, has broken. I'll see what I can do about that before work tomorow.

The clutch drag seems to be going away, the bike has been sitting for the last two years maybe it just needed to be ridden.

I'm wrong about the odometer working it turned over 3 miles on my 18 mile comute this morning.

Found head light aiming guidelines now I just need to do it.

·
Shithead
4,836 Posts
joeldavid_m said:
I took look at the bike before heading to work and think I have found my starter problem. One of the pass through bolts, the one the ground from the relay was attached to, has broken. I'll see what I can do about that before work tomorow.
It's junk. Replace the whole solenoid unit. It's about $35. I have spent years pi$$ing about with the internals of those things and it's a complete waste of time, other than as a learning experience.

Just junk the thing and put a new one in.

Fukkin good ride when they go, though :D :D :D

·
Banned
871 Posts
joeldavid_m said:

Thanks guys,
Joel
First Harley? Congrats! :cheers:

Now get a "factory" service manual for your year and model (not a Clymer or Haynes, etc., they are crap). You will find the clutch adjustment and headlight aiming procedures in there. You should ALWAYS have a manual before working on your bike. If not, and you screw something up, you could be risking your engine and/or life!

I'd check the clutch adjustment, but it may be ok. My clutch engages completely in about 1 inch of lever movement just as I start to let it out. I really noticed it when I installed the extra-plate clutch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts