V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit near 60 degrees yesterday after being stuck in the 30's and low forties for weeks. I disconnected the trickle charger and put the seat back on and got out for a couple of hours. :Banadance Really gotta watch for the pot holes from winter and all the sand but I still had a blast. Wish I lived someplace warmer so I didn't have to put her away fro three months.

·
it wasn't me
340 Posts
Glad you got out Mike. Get yourself a good set of "Cold Riding Gear" and don't put her away! 35-40 degrees is quite enjoyable with a pair of good gloves and chaps and a few layers up top. Finish her off with a windshield and one of those turtle neck thingies and you're good to go!

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shakedown,
I have the chaps and some cold weather gear & bike has a windshield, it's just sooo much more enjoyable when its warm. I got out in December in 40 degree weather and lasted just over an hour. Just not as much fun. Not a big fan of the cold. No skiing, my kids have to guilt me into the snowman thing. I belong in the south but I'm stuck up here (until retirement).

·
Registered
335 Posts
Glad to see you got her out for an hour. I know what that feels like to have the bike sit all winter. After 43 years of living in the northwest I decided I was tired of parking my ride for the winter. Been down here ever since '04 and it was the best decision I ever made. Did my 2006 ride on New Years Day.

Here's to a safe 2006 riding season, Mike. :beer4u:

·
Have chrome will travel
506 Posts
Great that you got out. It looks like the weather is going to suck for a bit.

I'm the opposite. I'm just one of those guys who doesn't get cold easy. I love to ride in the winter. Of course electrics help. :brows: You can see better in turns, there are no bugs and less traffic. You can see deeper into the woods and see things that you would never see when the leaves are on. Don't get me wrong, I prefer summer riding but winter is good too.

·
Ride It, whatever it is!
244 Posts
FLSTCMIKE said:
Hit near 60 degrees yesterday after being stuck in the 30's and low forties for weeks. I disconnected the trickle charger and put the seat back on and got out for a couple of hours. :Banadance Really gotta watch for the pot holes from winter and all the sand but I still had a blast. Wish I lived someplace warmer so I didn't have to put her away fro three months.

Same here, got out for a few hours on Saturday. Surprisingly it was the wife who was Jonesing for a bike ride. So we made a deal, she rode me in the morning :clap: :boobies: :brows: and I took her out for a ride in the afternoon. And of course it was raining just hard enough on the way home to lay a nice pile of crud all over the bike, but at least I got some. Spent yesterday cleaning it.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
We got out on Saturday for about five hours, our first ride of 2006. Outstanding weather here, in the 70s. Seems like I forget just how great it is to be riding. We're really lucky to have two bikes, and I'm lucky that my wife didn't complain when I decided to ride our softail with the no-padding seat (hey, it looks cool, etc, etc). Just like riding on a brick.
A great day until we were about 8 miles from the house and it started raining. Then, we got to ride in a hailstorm. Haven't ever done that before, so now I can say I did it and @#%$ if I'll ever do that again if I can help it.
Still, sure glad I got out and on a bike. Wish it would warm up and stay that way.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
I was out when it was 30 degrees too. I hate wearing chaps though. my legs are warm, but it makes my crotch feel twice as cold as it really is!

·
scooter coot
321 Posts
Finally got the scooter back together this weekend and got some miles in. Rode to work yesterday (30 degrees), and I have a Gerbings heated jacket liner that works GREAT!!!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Mike, there were a whole pile of us that got out this weekend.
You would've thought is was bike week here in Michigan, Sunday afternoon it was sunny and 65. Everytime you turned around there was another group of 4 or 5.
Rained like crazy today, snow tomorrow but we got to ride yesterday, spring is on the way!!!

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I work Saturdays and this past Saturday all I saw were bikes on the road. It was killing me. I shot home at 3 pm and threw the bike back together. It was in the basement in the middle of some deep cleaning and a brake job. I whipped it back together, squeezed it out the door and was able to put a few miles on it. Bad news is that it is now out of it's winter storage spot and in the garage. That means the truck stays outside and Murphy's law dictates it will snow because of that. Oh well, it was worth it. !drunk!

·
it wasn't me
340 Posts
Bigguy39 said:
You can see better in turns, there are no bugs and less traffic. You can see deeper into the woods and see things that you would never see when the leaves are on. Don't get me wrong, I prefer summer riding but winter is good too.
I'm with you, summer is great but I can't put her away all winter. You make some good points about the safety factor of winter riding. There's nothing like going out for a few hours with a stopover at some diner or restaurant (or bar :cheers: ) to warm up.

DJMA said:
I whipped it back together, squeezed it out the door and was able to put a few miles on it.
Good deal - very impressive. Well worth it I'm sure. Snow is on it's way but I'll be out on Saturday if the roads are clean.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts