V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cheers:
Posting my greeting and a question all in one. I just bought a bike the end of last month, it is a 99 FXDX. When I bought it it had 1400 miles on it. This is my first bike as I have never ridden before. I was on the fence between a Night train and this because I like the blacked out look...I'm not really into the chrome. Since I had it home, I put 168 miles on the bike going through local neighborhoods, back country roads etc. So, 4 days after I get the bike, we bring my new born daughter home. My wife needs her perscriptions so I hop on the bike and go get them. On my way home I am at a stop and WHAM, a women plows into the back of me. Somehow, she didn't see a 6'4 guy on a very low bike directly in front of her. The impact on her vehicle was dead center of her bumper. Thankfully I walked away, however my bike didn't do so well. 6K in damage.
So now the fun begins. I have begun ordering my parts. I am going to a 200 tire, broomstick drag bar with 6" riser and I am ordering a stretched tank which will be raised 3" in the front. This is where my question comes. The tank I want and ordered is a one piece tank with screw caps on the left and right side. No dash in the middle. My stock tank had the gas cap and gauge in the middle. Can the gas gauge be retro'd to fit one of the threaded holes? Will it conflict with the float mechanism?
One other question I have is in regards to the broomstick handlebar, is anyone here running one and if so, what was your fix for the tach and speedo gauges as far as mounting etc....

Thanks go out to the mods and owner of this site, it's put together well.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
First, Glad to hear you are OK. Second, they didn't total the bike? In answer to your question, it is an aftermarket tank and a custom one to boot. You will probably have to customize everything you mentioned to fit.

Being a 99, that engine needs some updates done in the cam chest. With $6K in damage and a $9K bike have you considered parting it out and just buying another one? Just a reality check question ... not intended to criticize.

Good luck either way ...

BTW, join of Oct 2002, where have you been?

:welcome:

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
springer- said:
First, Glad to hear you are OK. Second, they didn't total the bike? In answer to your question, it is an aftermarket tank and a custom one to boot. You will probably have to customize everything you mentioned to fit.
No they did not total the bike. Thankfully, seeing as how this is my first one and I plan on it being with me till I kill it or it kills me.

The tank comes from J&P cycles. Part number 7200500. All the mounts are for a Dyna.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
Just to throw out some ideas...

You could take the 6K from insurance and then try to sell the bike damaged, technically with a clear title for another 6K, then you would have 12K and that would get you a new Dyna. They have come a long way since 99 with the Dyna's.

I understand the first bike deal but you might be throwing in good money after bad in this case. If you don't mind me asking, how much are you into it for right now?

And if these are absolutely not and option, just let me know and I will go away :D

My -2$en#e-

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought it for 11 grand

springer- said:
Just to throw out some ideas...

You could take the 6K from insurance and then try to sell the bike damaged, technically with a clear title for another 6K, then you would have 12K and that would get you a new Dyna. They have come a long way since 99 with the Dyna's.

I understand the first bike deal but you might be throwing in good money after bad in this case. If you don't mind me asking, how much are you into it for right now?

And if these are absolutely not and option, just let me know and I will go away :D

My -2$en#e-

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
Like I said earlier, no offense, just trying to offer you an alternative way to look at it.

At $11K, and $6k from the insurance that leaves you with $5K to recoup. I think that is very doable. As mentioned, the 99 TC motors have some updates that are really required for any dependability. I think you could do MUCH better with a newer or new Dyna.

I know how easy it is to get attached to your first HD, I still ride mine. But the reality is it is just a piece of metal. I think you could do much better for your money.

Again, just a thought.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my only hardship with that is the selling of the bike, there are too many unknowns with that, theres no way i could get another bike if I did not sell this one. So if it sits for 3 months or so, thats 3 months I could be riding.

I see your point, but I am so eager to get back on 2 wheels, the wait alone is not worth it to me.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
Heres a thought ... put an add in the local paper ... list it for 6K-7K as is. let it run for a week and see what kind of responce you get. At 6K that gives you the option to let someone talk you down to 5K and you still break even.

I'm not trying to talk you into something that you don't want to do. Again just a different point of view.

Maybe someone else will offer their thoughts .. I am just one person and may be looking at it from a single point of view also.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I understand what both of you are saying... tough call. I would want the newest technology available if I were planning on being buried with the bike and now you have half the cash. Why don't you put that cash down on a new bike and finance the rest while you sell the accident victim. When you sell it, pay off or pay down the loan... new technology... no wait...

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
ammaddon said:
ok, now, let's hypothetically say I already bought parts....how about the tank question
None of the gas tanks are listed as accepting the fuel gauge. I wold guess that you would have to custom fit the tank for the gauge if you want to retain it.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
springer- said:
Heres a thought ... put an add in the local paper ... list it for 6K-7K as is. let it run for a week and see what kind of responce you get. At 6K that gives you the option to let someone talk you down to 5K and you still break even.

I'm not trying to talk you into something that you don't want to do. Again just a different point of view.

Maybe someone else will offer their thoughts .. I am just one person and may be looking at it from a single point of view also.
I would do what Springer suggests, it would make no sense to me to put 6-7k in repairs into an 11k bike. Get what you can for what is left along with the insurance money and get a new bike, it's a perfect time to upgrade.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Agree!

If the motor and tranny and front end is still good you could part it out and sell it on Ebay and easily recoup the 5 grand. I ride a 99 FXD with 26K on it and haven't had the cam bearing problem some had, but I agree with those above, the Dyna line and the TC88 in general has evolved quite a bit. I would say the suggestion to take the insurance money and put down on say at least a 2004 model would be the route to go, the rear tire is bigger and the frame and swingarm are better condusive to going wider. The cam bearings and crank bearings are improved, not to mention it would be 5 years newer and possibly with the same or less miles on the running gear. As far as parting out the 99, using Ebay and being patient, theoretically there is a market for about every piece that didn't get busted in the wreck. Also , if they paid you $6K on the damages, I would be a little afraid of the frame itself tracking straight, not to mention possible other damages not readily aparrent without riding it. Just a thought, and as was said above, not meant to offend. I just think in the long run that might be the more prudent move and you might be happier also by going that route.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Have you looked into what you have to do to put a 200 tire on the rear? The 99 had a 1.5" belt . The largest tire my 99 will take is a 140. Harley reduced the belt size after that to take a 150, but thats a long way from a 200. Also, the fxdx is known for it's good handling, why would you want to change that probably for the worse? These guys are giving you good advice. I think you should give it a lot more thought. Good luck with what wever you decide. jim

·
Banned
1,670 Posts
It would seem to me that he wants help on what HE has already decided to do. No offense but how bout helping out or staying out? Geez already

Wish I could help but I know little about a dyna

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jim t said:
Have you looked into what you have to do to put a 200 tire on the rear? The 99 had a 1.5" belt . The largest tire my 99 will take is a 140. Harley reduced the belt size after that to take a 150, but thats a long way from a 200. Also, the fxdx is known for it's good handling, why would you want to change that probably for the worse? These guys are giving you good advice. I think you should give it a lot more thought. Good luck with what wever you decide. jim
I found a kit that I can go to a 180 tire with no mods to shaft. It has a smaller belt and a different pully.

The 200 kit is the one put out by AME.

I hear everything everyone is is saying, hoever, since the only damage was to rear fender, tank, pipes and lower fork, it's not worth it for me to sell. For the price of the harley parts, I can put aftermarket parts on and make the bike the way I really want without cash out of my pocket. So I keep it.......

Ordered a 2 inch stretched tank, Bassani pro pipes, side plate with led, strut mount bullet led turns for rear...working on finding the right wide tire kit now.

·
Banned
871 Posts
ammaddon said:
:cheers:
Posting my greeting and a question all in one. I just bought a bike the end of last month, it is a 99 FXDX. When I bought it it had 1400 miles on it. This is my first bike as I have never ridden before. I was on the fence between a Night train and this because I like the blacked out look...I'm not really into the chrome. Since I had it home, I put 168 miles on the bike going through local neighborhoods, back country roads etc. So, 4 days after I get the bike, we bring my new born daughter home. My wife needs her perscriptions so I hop on the bike and go get them. On my way home I am at a stop and WHAM, a women plows into the back of me. Somehow, she didn't see a 6'4 guy on a very low bike directly in front of her. The impact on her vehicle was dead center of her bumper. Thankfully I walked away, however my bike didn't do so well. 6K in damage.
So now the fun begins. I have begun ordering my parts. I am going to a 200 tire, broomstick drag bar with 6" riser and I am ordering a stretched tank which will be raised 3" in the front. This is where my question comes. The tank I want and ordered is a one piece tank with screw caps on the left and right side. No dash in the middle. My stock tank had the gas cap and gauge in the middle. Can the gas gauge be retro'd to fit one of the threaded holes? Will it conflict with the float mechanism?
One other question I have is in regards to the broomstick handlebar, is anyone here running one and if so, what was your fix for the tach and speedo gauges as far as mounting etc....

Thanks go out to the mods and owner of this site, it's put together well.
Congrats on the new bike! Good to hear that you weren't hurt! If you haven't already, you might want to take a rider safety course. A Harley is an awful lot of bike to be starting out on. Not that it can't be done, but I'd take it easy for several months until you really get used to it.

A friend of mine was killed a few years ago just a week before she was scheduled to take the class. She drifted across the double-yellow line on a long curve and ran head-on into a van. Her husband was following her and saw it happen, but wasn't able to tell her what to do. If she had taken the course, she would have known about "countersteering" and would most likely be alive today! Not trying to scare you, but the more you know, the better your chance of riding into your golden years.

Remember, there are only two types on motorcyclists... those who have wrecked, and those who will wreck. It's all part of the lifestyle... I've been down 3 times in 28 years, one wreck was major (not counting the incidents while racing flattrack). Luckly, the only damage to me was my knees being scraped to the bone. That's when I discovered that denim is basically worthless when you are sliding along the ground at 40+ mph! I was sliding along on someone's nicely manicured lawn and the jeans tore like tissue paper! I now wear head to toe leathers, whether it's 10 deg or 110 deg outside. Enough lecturing. :D Just thought you should know the facts. One can never be too well better prepared.

As for your tire... a 200 is a pretty wide tire, but not too extreme. Still, it might have an adverse affect on your bike's handling. They just don't do as well in the turns. That's because when you are leaning, your rear tire will not be in the same alignment with the front tire as a stock rear tire is, causing it to oversteer more than stock. They are great for straight line ride, though. If you ride a lot of twisties, I'd think twice about it. Yeah, they look "cool", but the best handling you can get from your bike is with the stock setup. Most changes in frame geometry (tires included) will hurt the handling. I have ridden several with wide tires and I just didn't feel safe on them on the roads I usually ride on.

The handlebars sound good, IMHO. I've always like drag-style bars... although I like flattrack bars better. They provide great control and good feedback. Just make sure you can reach them comfortably and there is plenty of clearance when turning lock to lock.

About the tank..... no one really needs a gas guage, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. ;) I doubt that it would be accurate with the new tank, anyway. Once again, you are changing various factory designs, so you must expect to make some modifications and/or sacrifices.

Remember the number one rule. SAFETY must take precedence over style. All the work you do won't look very good wrapped around a tree! :)

{salute( Have fun and good luck!

·
Banned
871 Posts
ammaddon said:
I found a kit that I can go to a 180 tire with no mods to shaft. It has a smaller belt and a different pully.

The 200 kit is the one put out by AME.

I hear everything everyone is is saying, hoever, since the only damage was to rear fender, tank, pipes and lower fork, it's not worth it for me to sell. For the price of the harley parts, I can put aftermarket parts on and make the bike the way I really want without cash out of my pocket. So I keep it.......

Ordered a 2 inch stretched tank, Bassani pro pipes, side plate with led, strut mount bullet led turns for rear...working on finding the right wide tire kit now.
Good choice going with aftermarket parts. A lot of the H-D accessories and clothing are overpriced, imported crap, IMHO. They should just stick to making the bikes. You get a better selection from the aftermarket, too.

For aftermarket, don't buy from V-Twin. I think they buy everyone else's rejects. J&P Cycle carries good quality products and has great support!

I've heard the Bassani pipes are ok. I personally prefer the Thunderheader or the Vance & Hines Pro-Pipe. You can't beat them for torque!

For some great info, check out www.nightrider.com. They have a lot of tech information for Harleys, including in-depth exhaust testing results.

·
Banned
871 Posts
ammaddon said:
my only hardship with that is the selling of the bike, there are too many unknowns with that, theres no way i could get another bike if I did not sell this one. So if it sits for 3 months or so, thats 3 months I could be riding.

I see your point, but I am so eager to get back on 2 wheels, the wait alone is not worth it to me.
RUSHING it is a BIG mistake!! "Hurried work makes worried work" Take your time, think everything through carefully, or you could end up in a world of hurt!! SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY!!!!! :) It's just not worth it to take shortcuts.

After thinking about it more, I would sell the bike.... too many unknowns. This is the time of year where you could unload it very quickly. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the frame coming apart on you when you hit a bump on the road.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts