V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As advertised this is my first post. I wandered into my local Harley shop about 6 weeks ago... and you know the story!!!!

After gettin a quick course on all the models, and realizing selection was at a premium, I selected a wide glide. It is due in mid June. One motivation of the dyna series was it's smoothness and the wide glide because it had most of the chrome I'd be interested in. I plan to have the forks changed out when the bike is set up and the only other thing in mind is doing new mufflers and a stage 1 kit??? if I have this right...

I'm open to recommendations of what I should be looking out for.

I had dirt bikes and Japaneese road bikes many years ago but never a Harley. I figured this was the time.

And suggestions are greatly appreciated....... tks

Greg

Canton Ohio

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Congrats...

Congratulations on the new bike and welcome to the forum. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here and you can learn many things from these guys. I have a 2001 Wide Glide and love it. I just did the forks last week and they make a huge difference. I've done mostly cosmetic changes except for the pipes, hypercharger, and having the carb re-jetted (although that is cosmetic as well as for performance). You'll love the FXDWG, have fun building it up, and be safe riding it.

Tony:cool:

·
Registered
695 Posts
2003 FXDWG

I just ordered my bike also. I've been saving / waiting for 15 years to buy my dream bike. I've been riding bikes for 31 years. They been German, Italian and Japanese. I never could afford a new bike, always bought a good used bike. Currently I have a big Japanese touring bike that I bought off an old retired guy that couldn't ride anymore. It was almost as if the guy gave me the bike -- great deal. Anyway I was beginning to think I'd never get my Harley. Then when I had enough saved I lucked out with the timing. I'm not only getting my dream bike but an anniversary edition as well. I feel like I just won the jackpot. I had a hard time picking which one to get and then a salesman at the dealer took his time with me and helped me make my final decision. They're telling me I'll get my 2003 Dyna Wide Glide in October. It's going to be hard waiting. I didn't have enough money saved to get all the extras I want. To tell you how dumb I was -- I didn't even know that stock Harley's coming out of the factory had bogus pipes. The whole reason for having a Harley (to me) was hearing that wonderful sound. So I had to get new pipes, Vance & Hines "longshots". I wanted a shorter pipe but didn't want to blast my wife and kids when I give them rides. The salesman told me that these pipes would take the blast behind my rider. Then when I thought I was all set they told me about the breather, air filter and carb. I had to get educated again on the Stage I kit -- so I got that too. I'm so geared up that I can hardly sleep. Just to make myself feel better I go to the dealers website (many times per day) and listen to their sound files of Harleys rev'in their engines.
I didn't get a chance to test ride any bike, I had to make all my decisions how the bike looked to me and most of all sitting on each bike. How do you think the Dyna Wide Glide handles and feels?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts