V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Name is Luke...been lurking for a long time, decided I could contribute...maybe.

I own a 1985 FLHTC...kept it stock for a while, and now its undergoing surgery because the factory front air suspension was shot.

I'm sure to get flamed to some extent for what I'm doing, but it is what it is.

Changes include chopping the frame...approximately 5 up and 10° rake. Swapping to a midglide front end, which reverses my tree and that in esence puts me 4-5" out. Using v-rod lowers and wheel with brembo calipers. going with a stretched set of 5 gallon fat bob tanks...the list goes on.

Right now it looks like a big scary cluster. Its been together enough to mock up the front end and verify the trail and neck position. Once I get the motor/tranny out of the frame, I can take it to the shop and start cutting/welding.

Anyway...I have plenty of pics, and continue to take more....suppose I could make a build thread somewhere if its worth posting.

Happy to become more active now though.

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
Hey Luke.

I would suggest you look into getting a new frame and leave the stock one be.
This way they will have the geometry correct and will be able to tall you what leanth fork tube to use to keep the bike stable.

·
Registered
569 Posts
You can put all your stuff into a chopper guys swedish style FXR frame, and have a stable and safe bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been quite a while....while buying someone elses custom frame might be the way to go if you have tons of cash laying around, I'm a capable person with a fairly tight budget...so I'm doing all the work myself.

For anyone who might be interested...heres before and current shots of the bike, should hopefully be back together and running/ready for paint in a couple weeks. Taking a detour for a week to make a 4k mile round trip to Oklahoma and back.

As it was after I cleaned it up:

As it sat before this past weekend:

So far mods are:
1" widened rear fender.
Frame stretched 2 out, 4 up +10 degrees.
Late model 49mm dyna front end with 8 over tubes, vrod lowers and brembo dual disc brakes.
Custom stretched 5 gallon fat bob tanks with flush mount gas caps.
1" narrowed front fender (so if fits into the mid glide front end)

Will be switched things up soon to hopefully run a deuce 17*4.5 rear wheel so I can get a 160mm tire under it.
Went through the tranny inside and out to make sure it was clean and replaced all gaskets, currently doing the same to the motor. Once its back in the frame, I will once again redo all the wiring harnesses and it should be ready to paint/ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been a while, but I figured I would try posting about this again since I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. As much easier as buying a frame would have been, it doesnt fit the budget I'm working with. Plus I'm a capable guy so I do my own work.

As it sat before after my initial clean up/stage 0:

As it sits after this last weekends work:

Changes are:
Stretched the frame up 4 +10 degrees.
Widened the rear fender 1" to fill out the frame
Went from the stock reverse tree to a late model (49mm) midglide front end, with 8 over tubes, vrod lowers and brembo dual disc brakes.
Narrowed the stock front fender 1" to fit the midglide front end.

Major work left is to cut the fake extensions off the fat bobs and stretch them to fit proper and be functional.

The 80" evo is on the work bench, going through it to freshen it up. Hopefully in a couple weeks it will be back on the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts