V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have to start by saying that I can feel the difference. The bike is breathing better. I guess for my bike, the headwork and cam combination is compatible. Decent low end response, and good pull all the way to the redline. It really moves when you get on it, at least compared to how it was. Overall the bike feels faster and has more torque.

I called the dyno shop today and thought I could run up there and get it done. I jumped on the 405 freeway (2nd most crowded freeway in the world - 10 years in a row) and the traffic was a bear. With USC and UCLA playing, I thought for sure the roads would be empty. Not. So I split lanes all the way up to Mullholand when I realized that I forgot my SERT Dongle at home. Doohhhh!

Needless to say I didn't get it tuned today. However, I'm not so sure it's too far off of tune. The bike runs great!. A little rich, because I can smell gas, but other than that I have no complaints. In fact I have only compliments. Throttle response was smooth, and the bike idled nicely, something this old M&M never did.

The weather was in the mid 60s today and sunny, so I did not get to "challenge" the bike in heat, the element that caused my ping. So instead of waiting for next summer, I'll probably try and get the engine hot by doing slow riding in cone mazes.

I hope to have it tuned in the next week or so. I am anxious to see how the numbers compare to what it was before.

Here is a link to another posting with pictures.

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1133672923/0

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Can't wait to see your dyno sheet. Don't get to see many with MM/EFI. Finally actually pulling the trigger on mine this week! won't be on the dyno til early spring though, not many chances to get the break-in miles on her during the winter around here.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey Mark,

Are you still using the Alpha N fuel processor on you bike? If so, how is that working out?

Tim

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
95FLHR said:
Hey Mark,

Are you still using the Alpha N fuel processor on you bike? If so, how is that working out?

Tim
Tim,

I have it and I like it. It adds another adustment element to this old M&M FI system. I met the guy who designed that system for Terry. His name is Gary Betherum, and he is the dyno tuner at World Thunder Express in Canoga Park, CA.(818) 280-0813. He has done my last two tunes.

My understanding is that this unit is designed to manipulate small changes in the fuel system, the type that you would encounter going to different altitudes, or running under loads. When the O2 sensor picks up a change in the exhaust gasses, it sends signals to the various sensors to have the ECM to make minor adjustments as needed. Where as the open loop system relies on engine sensors, these units read the exhaust gasses and the processor provides this information to the ECM to make more efficient adjustments.

It is designed to adapt to minor engine modifications such exhaust systems, downloads and intakes. Those changes affect the tune. It cannot adjust for wholesale major engine changes such as pistons, juggs, heads, and cams. Those changes effect the whole dynamics of the engine. For example, when I went from Hooker Tuned Flow Mufflers to FullSacs, I did not nead to retune the bike. When I did heads and cams, I took it back to Gary and he retuned it.

Finally, after install the unit takes about 50 miles to "learn" how your bike runs, in order to make the optimum adjustments, and it is continually doing so. I would not say it is self tuning in the literal sense of going into the ECM and changing the MAP timing and fuel settings. I would say it adjusts the current state of tune for optimum performance, i.e. going up a hill into the wind, add a little fuel. Going down a hill, remove fuel. Up at 7,000 feet, remove fuel. It does what it can to keep the ECM at that ideal stoichometirc 13.5 afr setting.

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts