V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been hangin around here for a while, enjoying this site so I figured it's time I spoke up.
Had a few bikes (never a Harley) before going into the service back in the early seventies. Got out and got married in the eighties and the wife was dead set against me & a bike.
Acouple of years ago bought my 10 year old a dirt bike (big enough to last him a few years).
Right before Xmas this year the wife says, " Jr wants a new dirt bike for Xmas"
I said, "No way, his bike's got a couple more good years in it and he hasn't out grown it yet, If anyones gonna get a new bike it's me."
To my amazement she says," You deserve it, if you want one, get one."
I didn't say a word, walked out of the kitchen.
Stopped by the Stealer the next day. As luck would have they just received a softail in the color I wanted.
To make a long story short, Jan 4th, pulled in the driveway on an '02 Softail.
Wife freaked! " You bought a [email protected]#kin bike!"
"You said I could" End of story! YEAH!

And Loving IT!

·
Registered
544 Posts
HAHA I really don't think she seriously meant it, but you had to strike when you had the chance. Timing is everything, and the softail is a very nice bike, and if you haven't already gotten the accessory bug if and when you do that have more things you can do with that bike than almost any other Harley sells. Enjoy and ride safe.

Also have you considered a motorcycle safety foundation course? I hadn't ridden for a while and I took it and talking about learning new things they help develop new good habits and get rid of old bad habits. It's really surprising how much, the older biker got out of the course I took. Thee were 3 of us that took the course and we all were learned something new and felt we could change a few things and become better riders.

Just something to think about; welcome again,

Dave

·
Registered
695 Posts
Good Introduction story xcrewchiefx, some-how I think there might be some folks that can realte HA! Real glad you were able to get your Harley after waiting all those years -- it's got to feel good, right? I'm waiting for my first Harley also -- can't put into words how hard it's been but this forum has been a life-saver HA! No, but really there are some real good folks here and I'm glad you joined in.
PS: Thank you for your service and teaching your boy to ride.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Welcome xcrewchiefx,
Way to move! I am sure the wife now choose words carefully :).

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Welcome xccx. Where about's are you in Little Rhody? I'm from up the road in Worceter and travel alot in Rhode Island to Misquamicut Beach. Going there this weekend as I'm told it's Bike Weekend there. Travel down through there on Monday nights for a trip to Zip's in Killingly, CT. Looking forward to your posts.:D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome.
Good advice VA, took the course this spring and picked up some stuff I had never thought off. Definatly worth the 25$ (only in RI by law) plus Harley reimbursed.

Hey 4hr, Providence. Hard to believe the summers over, man that went by quick. I was ridin' last Jan when I picked up the bike so we've still got plenty o' ridin time left !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts