V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took delivery of my 03 Deuce not four weeks ago. So far it is a great ride. Not much to compare it to but I like it a lot. Being 6'3" I need to get some type of forward controls and I had only looked at HD equipment. I have seen Kuryakyn, PM and Accutronix mentioned. Are these better than the HD equipment? When I purchased the bike I got the HD windshield (detachable ) and the sundowner seat. Never saw the stock seat so I don't have much to compare it to. I also got the high sisy bar for the wife. The seating was purchased soley for my wifes comfort. So far I am very impessed.

My questions are as follows:
1) Are there any other options for larger bags than the HD models. If I got pipes like Samson Ground pounders could I use other Softail model Bags since they are larger?
2) Pipes, looking for better sound than stock. Not break the neighbors windows but you know what is coming sound. Advice, expereince etc. In addition the bike is EFI so I would like to not have to adjust the EFI.
3)Tach, anything other than Harley Out there?
4)The forward control question from above.
5)Winter storage: I live in Central WI so it gets cold. I have ~350 miles on the bike so far and I am going to put it up this weekend. Do I need to change the Primary, Trans and Oil, if not which are necessary. What are your opinions on getting it off the ground?

As you can probably infer this is my first Harley. Technicaly my first bike even though I have riden for some years. All your advice is welcome.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Poseidon, Welcome to the Forum and Congrats on the new bike. I also have an 03 Deuce and I live in South central Wisconsin (Madison Area). When it gets warm again we should meet up and go riding. Anyway, I can't help you with too many of your questions, but I can tell you I put Python Quick Strike pipes (same as V & H Bigshot Staggard) on my Deuce, and I love them. I did not adjust the efi at all and it runs fine. However, I do plan on changing the air cleaner, and then I will have to adjust the efi. As far as winter storage. I have never changed the fluids on my previous bikes to store them. I know some people recommend it, but I don't think its necessary. I just stick to the intervals that the owners manual recommends. Enjoy the bike!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. As for the ride your on! How do you like the sound of your pipes. The Stock pipes are not deep or loud enough for me. Can anyone else atempt to answer my other questions?

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Poseidon said:
Just took delivery of my 03 Deuce not four weeks ago. So far it is a great ride. Not much to compare it to but I like it a lot. Being 6'3" I need to get some type of forward controls and I had only looked at HD equipment. I have seen Kuryakyn, PM and Accutronix mentioned. Are these better than the HD equipment?

Not neccessarily better, but probably much cheaper. :D

5)Winter storage: I live in Central WI so it gets cold. I have ~350 miles on the bike so far and I am going to put it up this weekend. Do I need to change the Primary, Trans and Oil, if not which are necessary. What are your opinions on getting it off the ground?

There was an earlier thread on winterizing you bike. Try to search for it. Tons of good info. Essentially, yes, change all yer fluids, this is especially important because your bike is new. Remove the battery and put it on a battery tender. Some go so far as to get the tires up off the ground.

As you can probably infer this is my first Harley. Technicaly my first bike even though I have riden for some years. All your advice is welcome.
Welcome aboard! You'll find lots of great info here. If you can't find what you want just ask.

Regards,

wyo

·
Registered
413 Posts
My buddy has 3" extended controls from Accutronix (I think) on his Deuce. I'm also 6'3" and I'm nice and comfy when i ride his bike. Puts your legs at a nice angle, or you can throw 'em over the pegs and really stretch them out.

·
Registered
659 Posts
re:'03 Deuce questions

Congrats on the ride and welcome! I'm not as up on everything as a lot of others that will respond, but for what it's worth - I've got an '03 heritage that is just broken in, and live in a cold climate too - and I had some of the same questions...

2) Pipes, looking for better sound than stock. Not break the neighbors windows but you know what is coming sound. Advice, expereince etc. In addition the bike is EFI so I would like to not have to adjust the EFI.
<<I installed SE's - perfect sound, especially after they carbon up a bit - soft when you want, noticable when you want - doesn't deafen you on the highway>>

5)Winter storage: I live in Central WI so it gets cold. I have ~350 miles on the bike so far and I am going to put it up this weekend. Do I need to change the Primary, Trans and Oil, if not which are necessary.
<<EVERYBODY I have asked, including the dealership, said absolutely to change the fluids - especially having just finished it's break-in. Relative to the cost of what you paid - it's worthwhile peace of mind
What are your opinions on getting it off the ground?
<<Again - recommended>>
Also: put it on a battery tender, or you could lose the battery. Battery will lose 1% of it's charge a day - do the math.
Hope this is of some help - take it easy.
BigG

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
im a mere 6 foot and when i test drove a deuce even though it has stock forward controls i still felt cramped. no reason for posting this but i am just trying to make a little small talk lol.

·
Registered
413 Posts
otterbob said:
im a mere 6 foot and when i test drove a deuce even though it has stock forward controls i still felt cramped. no reason for posting this but i am just trying to make a little small talk lol.
Yeah, I'm not super tall or anything, just a weebit above average, and stock forward controls feel like mid-controls to me. I hardly ever have my feet on my extended forward controls on my Fatboy. I ride 95% of the time with my calves on the pegs. You've gotta move your foot a bit to downshift and/or use the rear brake, but upshifting is just as easy as raising your foot up a bit. Just more comfy for me that way.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: re:'03 Deuce questions

BigG said:
<<I installed SE's - perfect sound, especially after they carbon up a bit - soft when you want, noticable when you want - doesn't deafen you on the highway>>
This is what I have heard as well, I was looking at some samson Ground pounders but it is my understanding that I would be lessening my torque. Other direction please :D

Originally posted by BigG
What are your opinions on getting it off the ground?
<<Again - recommended>>
I will be picking up my Sears Bike lift tonight (Sears Part Number 00950190000). For those looking for a lift this appears to be the best for the money.

Originally posted by BigG
Also: put it on a battery tender, or you could lose the battery. Battery will lose 1% of it's charge a day - do the math.
Hope this is of some help - take it easy.
BigG
Battery Tender... Huh... Is that the same as a charger? I asked the guy at Sears and he had no idea. My HD dealer is a ways away so is there somewhere else I can get one of these? I also heard that you don't want to store a battery on a cement floor... Is this true and if so why?

Anybody able to address my other questions?

Thanks

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Re: Re: re:'03 Deuce questions

Battery Tender... Huh... Is that the same as a charger? I asked the guy at Sears and he had no idea. My HD dealer is a ways away so is there somewhere else I can get one of these?

Thanks

A battery tender is a trickle charger.

Re your dealer being a long distance from home: be advised that there are three HD dealers that offer 20% off internet/telephone orders. You'll be best served if you have the part numbers in hand when you call.

Chicago HD Hale's HD Moroney's HD

Regards,

wyo

·
Registered
236 Posts
A goog battery tender is a smart trickle charger. It trickle charges for a while, then switches itself off and lets the battery sit for a period of time (hours/days) then switches back on and trickle charges again.

Putting a battery on a cement floor. I don't recall the specific reason, but I do know that on a lead acid battery it can discharge a battery quickly. Thought it was a wives tale for some time, but tried it on a good car battery a few years ago and within a week it was dead. So now I place batteries on a wood block.

·
Registered
561 Posts
It's good to change the oil, because their is acid in used oil that you would not want sitting in the crankcase. Lifting is a good idea because it stops flat spots in tires, plus unloads the suspension. Also make sure you put fuell stabilizer in the gas tank, and run the bike until it is through the fuel system. If you do not store the tank full, it WILL rust inside, if you do not spray some kind of rust inhibitor into it

Sears does make a good lift--especially because it's only a hundred bucks.

The samsons will knock out your neighbors windows, and you cannot get baffles for them. The V&H's are really nicely put together.

Definitely put the battery on a block of wood, not metal-- any acid will eat it up in a couple of years.

Tach's: I have the Harley unit; it is a BUNCH better than my buddies non-harley tach. There is no flutter at speed or idle. They make a nice billet mount for it as well. Worth the money.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
You drain oil thats got 350 miles on it your looking at new oil. You wont hurt the bike leaving that oil in & changing it out after 500 more miles on the bike. Now if you had 750 miles I would say yea go ahead & do a early 1st oil change but even 750 mile old oil looks new. Its the fine particals that you want to get rid of in break-in oil. After 1000 miles there is a much high amount of acids in the motor oil. The trans & primary do not build up acids like motor oil, as those oils are not exposed to the heat extreams of the motor.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I'm only 5'9" and I still have to rest the back of my legs on the stock peg locations. I've gotten quite use to it. Upshifting is easy. Downshifting takes a little effort. I barely ever use the rear brake under NORMAL breaking conditions.

Custom Chrome has a set of adjustable pegs that I'm interested in and I am also in the market for a solo seat that is'nt as thick in upper-ass area. Sort of trying to get closer to the rear fender!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I got it put up this weekend. Bought the Sears Lift and it is great. I have an old car cover on it and that seems to be working well. The only supprise was when I took the oil filter off there was a lot of oil left in it. Kind of went all over the place! Is there any way to avoid this? I did not put fogger in the engine, couldn't find a store open on Saturday that had any, fleet farm carried it but they were out... Oh well. Does any one see any problem with this?

Now on to the other questions and answers. For those of you fellow deuce riders are the HD forward controls far enough forward?

Also, when it comes to pipes, how much of a boost of HP and Torque would the SE pipes give me over a Samson or a V&H?

Thanks again for all the help!:cool:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Poseidon said:

Also, when it comes to pipes, how much of a boost of HP and Torque would the SE pipes give me over a Samson or a V&H?

SE would most likely be 3rd on performance and sound. V&H would be first in my opinion.

·
Registered
725 Posts
FWIW, I'm 6'5" and

fit the Deuce fine. I also ride sport bikes though and that could be a plus as I feel spread out on the Deuce:) .

As for exhaust, I went with Cycle Shack slip-ons. A bit louder and mellower than SE, but not as loud as V&H , Python, Samson, etc. I like a mellow rumble versus a loud rumble. I also like the stock shotgun look the Cycle Shacks enable me to keep. But that's me :) .

Enjoy the Deuce! I've had mine since April '00 and it is a keeper.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm 5'9'' and wish the stock controls were just a little further out, for boulevard cruising I hang my ankles on the stock pegs. My Deuce is EFI and I went with stage I breather kit , Hooker short staggered step tuned "drag" pipes and SE remap, wish it was a little louder, never rode it "stock" so I can't offer an adequate opinion on any HP/Torq differences.
Ric-

1 - 20 of 27 Posts