V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just was wondering what would be your first custom change to a new Dyna Lowrider ?... Iam still patiently waiting( or trying ) for mine to arrive... I was just wondering what was your first changes you guys made and or what they would have done differently now that you have got a few miles on your bike?

·
Registered
380 Posts
new bike new stuff

Hey man the very first thing i would put on is a set of forword controls. taking for granted that pipes and air cleaner are done at time of delervery. they take about an hour to put on even if you have very little experiance turning wrenches.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'll second the idea for grips.I went with Kuryaken Iso grips.These are very comfortable and look nice.If you are going to use slip on mufflers I would recommned Cycle Shacks. If you were thinking about a windshield be careful when choosing the correct shield.I've wasted money on two different shields that I don't use because of excessive wind buffeting.
If a sissy bar is something you might consider I would go with the removable docking hardware.It costs a little more but trust me it's worth it. I purchased the Yost Power Tube when I jetted my FXD.If did it again I would just do the www.nightrider.com mods to the carb and save my $100.00. That's about all I can think right now. You will love your bike .Congratulations!!! :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all... I will probably keep the mid controls for a while... ( used to mid controls on my old bike) and go with the sissy bar and pipes... Saving the forward controls til I get more comfortable riding....

Bub what type windsheild did you end up with? It will be a while but I probably will have one for longer rides later on... thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
I tried a H.D. touring shield it didn't work.Then I tried a Memphis Shades sport shield and it didn't work. With both shields I would experience severe wind buffeting on the highway.I have given up on windshields.Now I wear my full face helmet and have forgotten the idea of a windshield. I think windshield lowers would probably aleviate the problem,but I've spent too much money already.

Good Luck !!!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
wind shield stuff

I have the bigest detachable wind shield Harley makes on my FXD and i still get buffeted by wind it all depends on the day. i realy think a wind shield does not take the place of a fairing. i to would like to play with wind wings but as always money is the issue. just do not whant to spend it on stuff that does not work. let us know what you do.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I hardly ever ride with a windshield anymore. If you’ve ever been struck by a rock or even a bee at freeway speed you’ll know why. I use the detachable one from Harley. I’ve never noticed any shimmy, but you can get knocked around a bit in a gust of wind, but you’ll just ride it out. Not scary or anything like that.

Now the first thing I would change is the mufflers and put screaming eagle carb kit on. Get KW slipon’s and have the dealer or a good indy shop do the jet thing. Then enjoy your life.

·
Registered
30 Posts
hey! The windshield i used on my dyna is part# 57960-97 and docking kit part# 58164-96A ... The docking kit is pretty much generic for other windshields...so I thought if I take long trips I just pop on a bigger shield. I like the one I have just fine. Congrads on the new Dyna.
I live in memphis so give me a hollar.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Blackoak
I have just added a low sissy bar and a few chrome goodies... probably gonna get a windshoeld soon... and pay the "harley tax" ( pipes ,AC and rejetting).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts