V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to purchase my first street bike. I am thinking of buying a Road King or Electra Glide Standard. I want something that I can tear down to cruise on and load up, when I decide to go for an extended trip. Any opinions on this being a first bike choice? Thanks in advance. J.T.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Both RK and Electra Glide are nice bikes. But I don't think either tear down easily. You may look at a Heritage Classic. It is easily striped down to no bags or windshield, to a cruiser. If more storage is needed you could add a T-bag when you need to load it up. But OEM Heritage Bags can hold an amazing about of crap.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
The bikes you have decided on are both part of a touring bike family. Why are you wanting to "tear down" the bike?

The saddlebags are "permanent" and the bikes would look pretty weird without them.

By the way, the Standard is a very good value. The Roadking is a very popular bike.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My bad, pjim. I am looking at the Hert. Softail Cl. I realize the saddlebags on both bikes don't come off. I was refering to the windshield on the Road King. I want something I can cruise on. The Road King definately fits the bill. But refering to the original post, I just went to the Harley Rep. at AAFES. I they have two Road Kings, both with alarm sys. and wire wheels. I REALLY want a Road King. I can get one of them for $16,800 out the door. I can take delivery in Sept. or Oct. Bad News: I would have to get someone to pick up the bike. I would have hell to pay back home when my cousin dropped off the bike. I need to move pretty soon. I don't know how long they will be available. He sells to Germany, Italy, Kosovo, and Herz. military posts. $300 and approval from a finance inst. will hold the bike until complete payment is made. Comments welcomed! J.T.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
I own a 2001 RK and removing the windshield for cruising or cleaning is no problem. If you can get a new one for $16,800, JUMP ON IT, MAN!!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, Unome. Can you remove the saddlebags(HardBags....or what ever they're called)? Thanks! J.T.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
J.T., No problem removing the bags for cleaning or whatever. Raise lids, twist 2 little connectors and off they come. Takes less than 2 minutes to remove both. Now I have to admit bike looks a little weird without them.

I have friend who has a 95 RK and he replaced the hard bags with leather ones. Now to do that probably requires some kind of connector/adapter for the leather bags to hook to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.