V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, well Im finally in the postion to get a bike. I narrowed it down to a Softail Standard, but now Im having some thoughts about my choice. Should I start off with a smaller bike? Any suggestions? Im 6 ft, 175 pds and have minimal riding experience. All my riding was on 4 wheelers as a kid and the occasional ride on a dirt bike or street bike. I have money down on a Softail arriving at the dealer around the 18th of this month and am just looking for some opinions, advice etc etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The bigger bikes are actually easier to ride.

You just have to make the mental leap to look at a 700lb bike as a small bike.

Take the MSF course, and after you have the required miles on take the advanced course on YOUR bike.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Softail Standard..?

Good choice. Don't get a smaller bike, because in 6 months, you'll wish you had the softail. I bought my Softail Deuce in June of last year, and it was my first bike, with just about zero riding experience.

I got my permit at the DMV (written test) and practiced around town for a couple months and then took the Motorcycle safety course. Then got my license, and now feel very comfortable on the softail.

You made a good choice. Stay with it.. You'll love it!
nickp.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Steve,Hippo's advice is as sound as you'll get.

Just take it slow & easy at first, get the feel of the bike, & you should be just fine.

Good Luck & keep us posted!
gudo

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Steve, I agree with our fellow members. If you are comfortable after you take the msf course, then you'll be able to handle the Softtail.

Just an observation, many riders don't start off with a Harley. The biggest reason is of course cost. If cost is not a factor, go for the Softtail. If cost is a factor, there are many other bikes you could start with (and make your wife a much happier campier).

;)

And you could work up toward the Softtail after you put a few thousand miles on another bike.

Heresy? No. Just being honest and frank with you. No one will think less of you if you start with a bike other than a H/D. You'll be able to handle the Softtail, but you do have choices.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Money is one concern. We tend to buy/ride what we can afford.

I started looking back in Feb. 2001 for bike. Talked to local shops and was considering 1200. Guy I was talking to said it was my choice but since I planned on riding with wife on back for trips about 200+ miles on some weekends, he suggested bigger bike(steering me toward a Fat Boy). I told him I hadn't ridden in about 20 years and was worried about being able to ride and thought 1200 would be better to start on. He said the principles behind riding a bike were the same no matter what size.

Well, bought a 1995 Dyna Low Rider in Mar. 2001. In July 2001, I traded up for 2001 Road King. The Dyna was okay ride for me but with wife, we were a little cramped. LOVE the Road King.

Good luck on your decision for ride and be safe out there.........

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thanks for the replies. They helped to brush aside some lingering doubts I was having as far as getting a bike that size for my first bike. Talk to you all later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts